Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
douxiaobo
douxiaobo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch.
How to dictionary with PDF format install in Kindle for look up words?

Hello, I an newbie in this forums here, come from China. By the way, How to comvert the dictionary with PDF format to support Kindle format for look up words in dictionary?

I have PDF document, it is a Spanish to English dictionary, but not scaning. I had try to convert to TXT or Html format, and using an Application software Mobipocket Creator make new dictionary, via choose two languages, and put it to my Kindle. result it was not success. "Menu"--"Settings"--"Dictionaries",there is no dictionary which I make it by Mobipocket Creator. I had open this dictionary from my Items, it is a pity that it us unable to look up words. I had using An Application Calibre make PDF format to Kindle format, but it was not success.

For me it is very difficult. Can you help me?Thanks very much.
douxiaobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A Mobipocket dictionary has to have specific "tags" on each entry. You can't simply scan a paper dictionary and expect the resulting Mobi book to work as a dictionary, I'm afraid.

There are a number of Spanish/English dictionaries in the Kindle Store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Mobi dictionaries need to be in a special HTML format. Therefore converting .pdfs will never work unless you reformat the .html file and add the necessary tags. For more information, see the Mobipocket Developer Center.

There are also two free Spanish Kindle dictionaries available, but they're only useful for beginners:
1. Dave Slusher's dictionaries
2. Michael Sheldon's dictionaries
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
douxiaobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A Mobipocket dictionary has to have specific "tags" on each entry. You can't simply scan a paper dictionary and expect the resulting Mobi book to work as a dictionary, I'm afraid.

There are a number of Spanish/English dictionaries in the Kindle Store.
Thanks very much. But I am unable to buy book in the Kindle Store. Because I got message that be told by Amazon said they refused sell books in Asia.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
douxiaobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Mobi dictionaries need to be in a special HTML format. Therefore converting .pdfs will never work unless you reformat the .html file and add the necessary tags. For more information, see the Mobipocket Developer Center.

There are also two free Spanish Kindle dictionaries available, but they're only useful for beginners:
1. Dave Slusher's dictionaries
2. Michael Sheldon's dictionaries

Thanks very much.
Advert