Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Stu Segal
Stu Segal began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-T1 PRS-300 PRS-505 PRS-500
Question Listening to Music ???

So, eureka, I discovered that the SD Card that I use to listen to music on my PDA is compatible with the Reader - inserted the card and the Reader immediately recognized the music files and made them available.

Thing is, the Reader software isn't very "robust" as a music player. Is there any type of software, or software enhancements, available to make the player more music friendly?

Thanks. . . Stu
Stu Segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
there are no enhancements to the music playing part of the reader at the moment. And remember that using the reader to play music will use more battery power.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Long answer, "no."

Sony has not provided any enhancements and since so few people use it as a music player that has not been an area of development among the hackers. Direct page navigation and a clock were more desired features and they received the development time.

One of the great features of the Sony was the extremely long battery life. Often a few weeks between charges. When you play music the battery gets eaten up very fast. I keep no music files on the Sony and have a Creative Zen for my music needs.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rio Karma for my portable music needs.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Stu Segal
Stu Segal began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-T1 PRS-300 PRS-505 PRS-500
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes - I got the Reader to read, not for music, but it's always nice when a device can do double-duty, or be used as a backup.

Certainly enhancements to page display and navigation are much more important - and some enhancement to eliminate the "ghost images" would also be nice.

Thanks again . . . Stu
Stu Segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The ghosting is a by product of the first generation eink screen. It varies. My wife's has more ghosting then mine. The Vizplex screen doesn't have ghosting that I know of.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Somewhere in the posts for the PRS-500 is a thread about adjusting an internal component (yes, you have to take it apart) that changes the contrast. I didn't see it when I quickly looked for it. NatCh seems to be the wiz on finding old threads. I think there also may be a hack for reversing the colors (to white letters on a black background.) I have never used either of these so I cannot comment, I just mention that others have done so.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:19 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Somewhere in the posts for the PRS-500 is a thread about adjusting an internal component (yes, you have to take it apart) that changes the contrast. I didn't see it when I quickly looked for it. NatCh seems to be the wiz on finding old threads. I think there also may be a hack for reversing the colors (to white letters on a black background.) I have never used either of these so I cannot comment, I just mention that others have done so.
Reader Internals 2.0

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8426