Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-21-2003, 01:10 AM   #1
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Sync Problem with eNews

Alex:

I've downloaded MobiPocket and like it a lot. I've been able to subscribe to several eNews channels from their Web site and they sync/work fine. I cannot, however, get any of the eNews offered here to work! I've tried Wired, Yahoo, and MovableType and all of them register with the Web Companion, show up as folders under the /Data folder, are checked to be active, yet nothing gets created and no file syncs to the PDA. Log in sync shows this cryptic notation:

System synchronization failed
Protocol Error: Handheld file not found. (4003)

Any ideas what's squirrely here?
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:23 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
How did you install the eNews from here?

This is how I do it:

- right-click on the eNews channel and save it to my desktop

- in Web Companion, go to File->Add a local eNews file. Click on the downloaded eNews channel

- your selected eNews should now show up in the list among your other eNews channels. Double-left-click on it once. Make sure the section you want to download is selected. At the same time, you can make sure that the sections for all other eNews channels are de-selected, so you can make sure to download only this particular one

- go to File->Update Now

This worked for me. Give it a try.

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2003, 01:46 AM   #3
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Alex:

What you described I did exactly...yet it did not work for me...and I now know why!

It appears that any eNews script created through the eNews Creator is only syncable if the end user also has eNews Creator installed! None of the three scripts worked for me. I then installed eNews Creator beta and they still did not work. I opened one of them in eNews and readded to the Web Companion and that script DID sync fine. I then came here and added a couple of scripts and they synced fine as well (and at this point the other two scripts originally added to the Web Companion before installing eNews Creator still did not sync).

So it appears that until the public release of eNews Creator that the scripts posted here are only syncable for those with eNews Creator installed...at least that's what's happening with my Clie SJ30.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:49 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Maybe we should have a closer look at "regular" eNews and compare it to eNews generated with the eNews Creator.

Or perhaps we should wait to see what our team member "Mobipocket" says; he might have the answer for us
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:44 AM   #5
Mobipocket
Enthusiast
Mobipocket began at the beginning.

Device: al
eNews generated by Mobipocket eNews Creator are compatible with Web Companion 4.8 and higher.

You need to wait for Mobipocket Reader 4.8 Release (no date available, so do not ask) to get Web Companion 4.8 installed on your PC.
Mobipocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2003, 09:59 AM   #6
Saud
Connoisseur
Saud began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Iphone 3G, Blackberry 9000
Web Companion 4.8 gets installed with eNews Creator.. thats why gvtexas your problem was solved..
Saud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:17 PM   #7
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saud
Web Companion 4.8 gets installed with eNews Creator.. thats why gvtexas your problem was solved..
Yea, Saud, that's definitely it. It's working pretty well now, although it's inconsistent on installing the enews scripts posted here. Sometimes when I click the link it installs to Web Companion immediately, other times it gives an error that it can't install. In those cases I simply download the link to the desktop and click it there, and it installs happily.

Overall this is a nifty way to pull sites we can't easily pull otherwise, no doubt. There are some oddities about how it pulls text, but overall can't complain. Looking forward to seeing how the bugs iron out for the public release. Should be a huge hit for news junkies.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:43 PM   #8
Saud
Connoisseur
Saud began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Iphone 3G, Blackberry 9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvtexas
Should be a huge hit for news junkies.
I agree
The ease of use of the program eventhough its just a beta is outstanding, I am starting to forget that there is something as mobile optimized websites.. I am enjoying my time creating enews from standard websites
Saud is offline   Reply With Quote