Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
hlk123
Enthusiast
hlk123 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus7(2013), KindleFireHD7, PB622, PB623, AsusMemoTabHD7
ereader with a powerful cpu and not a kindle

Hello

I'm looking for a specific e-reader:
o 6 inch or better a 7 inch
o a powerful cpu
o 200 gramm weight
o epub and pdf format
o a search function forward/backward
o can use a table-of-content
o can deal with a 1000 pages book

I have a kindle-fire but it will not search a pdf-ebook. It has indeed a powerful cpu.
I have also a "pocketbook 622" but it has a weak cpu. It needs a very long time to search a 400 pages pdf/epub-book.

I use ereader not to read a novel only but to learn something, f.e. electronics. That's why I use often the search-function.

Thank you.
hlk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
You really should consider a tablet instead for heavy PDFs.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo devices will do all that. The Glo has the fastest processor, so it should do the fastest searches.

I don't know if you will like the search. It works by selecting a word or entering a word and brings up a list of results with about two lines of the surrounding text. You select a result to display it and can then either return to results list, or skip backwards and forwards through them. Search speed in any of these devices is probably not great. But, as a test I just did a search for "magic" in a 4000+ page epub. It found the nine results in about 30 seconds.

PDF display is OK. They don't do PDF reflow. They do zoom and allow landscape viewing when zoomed. Navigation when zoomed could be better.

Edit: I agree with David Munch when it comes to reading PDFs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If you already have a kindle fire why don't you try some other PDF reader apps on it before buying a new device? There are several in the Amazon app store. I haven't really used any, but I've heard good things about ezPDF.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Kindle and Kobo pdf support is dreadful. They do not even do text reflow. IMO don't even think about it.

The best for pdf support out-of-the-box is Sony. Ask in the Sony forum about T1 / T2 pdf handling.

The Nook may be okay out-of-the-box and can be rooted to run 3rd-party pdf readers. The Sony can also be rooted and run apps, but is not as good at it as the Nook. However, rooting involves some level of technical know-how.

Re: Nook, see here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205930
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Actually, you probably want a tablet. Maybe root the Fire. I've read the Amazon OS is pretty poor. If you root it it might work better with pdfs.

Or maybe just get a better pdf reading app? Are you using the stock Amazon app? Try ezpdf.

Last edited by Rizla; 03-10-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote