Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #166
MrWobinson
MrWobinson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Deleting the 100 books is my priority. I never thought when I bought this that I would be stuck with at least 90 books I will never read cluttering up the device and making selecting a book difficult. Imagine the shame of being seen with Jane Austin on your reader, I would never live it down if it gets out! What were they thinking? All these books are available anyway. It defies belief.
MrWobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #167
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWobinson View Post
Deleting the 100 books is my priority. I never thought when I bought this that I would be stuck with at least 90 books I will never read cluttering up the device and making selecting a book difficult. Imagine the shame of being seen with Jane Austin on your reader, I would never live it down if it gets out! What were they thinking? All these books are available anyway. It defies belief.
You, can. Read the sticky on kobo useful tips and tricks.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #168
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
You, can. Read the sticky on kobo useful tips and tricks.
You can't without 'hacking' your Kobo Reader. The inability to delete books should be addressed at a software/firmware level.

Personally I can't be bothered modifying the Reader's sqlite database, and I'm going to wait for this to be fixed in a firmware update.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #169
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I just deleted the whole sqlite database on the Kobo and drag and dropped the ePubs that I wanted. When I unplugged the Kobo from my computer it recreated the sqlite database quite quickly, and much smaller, than the original. Worked like a damn.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #170
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

I know it's possible, and not difficult to do. I just think that the hypothetical "average user" shouldn't have to jump through hoops to delete the pre-loaded books: they should be able to do it from either a menu on their Reader, or using the Kobo Desktop application.

My point was that MrWobinson made a perfectly reasonable request for a feature that could be addressed with a firmware update.

The same is true of the "small font" problem. It is easy to workaround the issue, but it is still a bug, and should be fixed.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #171
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Agreed. Nobody should have to jump through hoops to get it to work the way they expect it to work. I was just explaining the hoops I jumped through to get it the way I wanted it. Naturally, none of that should be necessary and hopefully they are working on it.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:56 AM   #172
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
I just deleted the whole sqlite database on the Kobo and drag and dropped the ePubs that I wanted. When I unplugged the Kobo from my computer it recreated the sqlite database quite quickly, and much smaller, than the original. Worked like a damn.
Now that's crude but effective! Did you post in the tips 'n' tricks sticky? (And all that time I spent figuring out how the darned database worked...)
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #173
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
The US release date has been pushed to July 2nd, so a mid June rollout of a firmware upgrade seems likely.
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #174
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
This looks like it does work but, is there a way to back up my 100 free books to my computer before taking the 'scorched-earth' solution?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #175
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
This looks like it does work but, is there a way to back up my 100 free books to my computer before taking the 'scorched-earth' solution?
You need to backup the sqlite database in the .kobo directory. You best bet is to copy all the directories to a directory on you computer.

However, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85226 for details on a new calibre driver for the kobo that can be used to manage the free books.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #176
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKazzed View Post
The US release date has been pushed to July 2nd, so a mid June rollout of a firmware upgrade seems likely.
Not so. Those who pre-ordered early enough (me, for example) are supposed to get ours shipped on the 17th. That shipment sold out. It's only the newer orders that are supposed to be fulfilled on July 2.
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #177
reed
reed began at the beginning.

Quote:
Probly simpler to re-download instead -- aren't those 100 all public domain and highly available off the net?
reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #178
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Quote:
I haven't checked to confirm, but once you sync your Kobo with your Kobo account, shouldn't the free books become part of the online Library associated with your account?
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #179
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nope.... those 100 books never even appear in the Dekstop application.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #180
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Nope.... those 100 books never even appear in the Dekstop application.
Was just looking at my account's Library, and nope, they're not there. Haven't noticed with the desktop app, but I'll take your word for it. That kind of sucks.

To a certain degree it should be nothing to sync both ways (at least for free books), although I suppose there would be issues with books not purchased via Kobo due to DRM.
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote