Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #31
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The Hanlin V3 and V5 ereaders (sold under many different names) have for several years offered LIT support. Flaky but real.
I was just going to say that. While it doesn't seem that the Hanlins have got LIT support right just yet, it seems possible that they could. I don't feel this request was unrealistic at all. We were asked what we wanted and we're letting them know. They can certainly tell us it's not possible, if that's the case.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #32
language gamer
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
Two important features for me:

1. There needs to be an option to save notes as text. I honestly don't see the value of taking a picture of words.

2. Notes need to be stamped with either a static page number (for epub), a paragraph number, or both. It's important to have some way of locating passages according to a standard system.

I will also vote for any highlighting feature.
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:32 AM   #33
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by language gamer View Post
Two important features for me:

1. There needs to be an option to save notes as text. I honestly don't see the value of taking a picture of words.

2. Notes need to be stamped with either a static page number (for epub), a paragraph number, or both. It's important to have some way of locating passages according to a standard system.

I will also vote for any highlighting feature.
I second highlighting. Or the ability to bookmark a particular word on a page. That would help tons when you find errors in an ebook that you want to correct.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:46 AM   #34
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Whether it is a feasible use of the time and skills of the Guys in Kiev(tm) is a Pocketbook Global management decision. I'm not holding my breath (hence my blue sky comment) but I'm not giving up the hope that there's enough of us old PDA-reader veterans out there to make it worth their time to add LIT support.

After all, "maybe the horse will sing".

Fair'nough?

Peace!
Fair enough.

Admittedly, I still don't see that it should be necessary. I have a ton of books in .lit format as well. I simply ran them through Calibre into another format—into mobi back when I only had a Kindle and now into epub.

MS Reader has been all but abandoned by Microsoft—there hasn't been an update in almost 3 years, which is forever in software terms. Even though there are a lot of .lit books out there, it is a dying format. You might as well convert your books now, to something that will be around in 10 years and supported by the reader you buy in the future.

Just my opinion anyway.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #35
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Gif image support.

Since gif is considered more efficient because of size. A lot of hyperlinks of maps are in gif format in ebooks.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #36
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
MS Reader has been all but abandoned by Microsoft—there hasn't been an update in almost 3 years, which is forever in software terms.
Quite true.
But two minor points and I'll move on:

1- LIT isn't *quite* dead yet. Yes, it is currently fading into the legacy format category but... MS released an MS Reader update us a couple of months ago amid a flood of rumors that they might be adding it to Zune HD and WinMo 7 phones. And then, to add fuel to the fire, the various videos floating around of Microsoft's dual-lcd journal prototype, the Courier, show one of its functions is... ebooks. Finally, *many* of the ebook pundits talking of the things they saw under NDA at CES 2010 were saying the same thing: don't count Microsoft out yet. It is still early in the ebook gae and MS has some leverage to work with if they choose to take MS Reader to version 3 and run it on Zune HD, WinMo 7 phones, and the wave of upcoming Win7 Atom slates. Today, it's a legacy format. Tomorrow it might be dead. Or it might be a contender.

2- Conversion can be done, yes. And Calibre in particular is very fast converting LIT to ePub which is, clearly, the Pocketbook's preferred format, even under FBReader. However... while conversion doesn't alter the text in the file, conversion *does* alter the internal links and structures of the ebook. And Calibre's ePub conversion, because of the immature state of the ePub spec, which is loose and has tons of room for interpretation, is strongly biased towards Adobe's interpretation on Sony readers. This leads to issues with the output ePubs showing erratic behavior in other reader or cataloging apps. On Pocketbook, for example, we have the ongoing issue of covers not always displaying in the bookshelf. Other issues I've heard of are of weird hard-wired margins and font sizes, links that don't always work the way they're supposed to, etc. And these are all things that work okay in ADE so the baseline assumption is to blame the file or the conversion code instead of wondering if maybe ADE is at fault. Give it a while and this can come back to haunt the industry big time. My take on conversion is that it is not something to be avoided at all costs, like format conversion of digital music files which requires transcoding and is guaranteed to degrade quality, but it *is* something to be avoided whenever possible; if I have a book in Mobi format, I'll read it in that format even if it means run-on chapters or erratic TOC recogition by FBReader. Ditto for rtf or Html. Unlike many out there, I do not see it as a given that ePub is the end-all, be-all of ebook formats, much less the Adobe-specific ePub that Calibre tries to output.

If nothing else it is worth remembering that the publishers store their ebooks in their back-end servers in OEB format, not ePub. Last I heard, ePub-ing is done on the retail servers not at the publishing house. Nothing stops the publishers from switching their "industry-standard" label to something else.

With that in mind, I favor ebook readers that let me read my accumulated content in its native file format as much as possible; I don't demand support for every last obscure format out there as I don't use it. But support for formats with significant commercial ebook history such as Mobi, LIT, and PDB is a *nice* feature to have. I might even be suggesting eReader support along with it were it not for the fact that my exposure to the issue on the Aztak/Hanlin forums has made it clear it can't be done without B&N suport and B&N is not particularly interested in helping Aztak and co. Much less Pocketbook Global.

Ultimately its not about the format but rather about the books themselves. Being able to access them with a minimum of muss or fuss.

Hence my request for LIT support.
I love my PB360 a lot. Lack of LIT support isn't going to change that. But adding it would make my whole month...

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-18-2010 at 08:37 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #37
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I love my PB360 a lot. Lack of LIT support isn't going to change that. But adding it would make my whole month...
Ditto It's not a pain to convert our LIT files at all, but it would be even easier to be able to load up a LIT file and read it straight away. I won't be horribly upset if it's not possible, but it'll probably make me squeal if it does happen!
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can we PLEASE have a "back" button for coming back from a hyperlink. At the moment, you have to remember to look at the page number and memorize it, jump to the hyperlink, read it, and then use "goto page" to get back to where you were. A simply "back" button, as so many other readers have, would make life a lot easier.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #39
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can we PLEASE have a "back" button for coming back from a hyperlink. At the moment, you have to remember to look at the page number and memorize it, jump to the hyperlink, read it, and then use "goto page" to get back to where you were. A simply "back" button, as so many other readers have, would make life a lot easier.
Well, it's there. When you have jumped to a target, just use the link button again and press okay and back you go.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Well, it's there. When you have jumped to a target, just use the link button again and press okay and back you go.
I'm sorry to be dense, but I'm afraid I don't understand you. "Down" on the nav button selects hyperlinks on a page. I jump to a page via a hyperlink by selecting the link with "Down" and then "OK" to activate it; how do I get back to where I was, if there isn't a "reverse" hyperlink to get back? To clarify, this is reading ePub books with ADE.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #41
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry to be dense, but I'm afraid I don't understand you. "Down" on the nav button selects hyperlinks on a page. I jump to a page via a hyperlink by selecting the link with "Down" and then "OK" to activate it; how do I get back to where I was, if there isn't a "reverse" hyperlink to get back? To clarify, this is reading ePub books with ADE.
Yep. Down and "Ok" should bring you back where you came from.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Unfortunately it doesn't. "Down" simply displays an error message "There are no links on this page", following which "OK" brings up the menu, as usual.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-18-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Corrected the error description.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Can someone else with a PB360 try this and see if it works for you, please:

1. Using ADE on the PB360 ,open a book with hyperlinks (eg use the hyperlinked table of contents in any of my ePub books).
2. Go to a page with hyperlinks on it, press "Down" to select one of the hyperlinks, and "OK" to activate it.
3. On the page you end up at (preferably a page with no hyperlinks on it), press "Down" and "OK" again. Do you get back to where you were, or do you get the error message that I report in my previous message?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #44
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I second tags!

-Marcy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
I vote for tags too.
I do, too. Think I'm no. 5.

What I would like to see, was some more user-friendly documentation. You can find things here that you can't find in other places - or perhaps it only exist in Russian. Things like that. It's not easy to find out where to start looking and it's easy to miss information that might make a good device work much better for the user. The start-up guide that came with the device was so-so. A few more illustrations would make things clearer. When I downloaded a firmware upgrade, the link had 'TEST' in it, and I wondered whether I was actually downloading the right software, but I couldn't find anything else. In short, product support could be improved somewhat. I'm sure there's a lot of great information available, but it's not all easy to find.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #45
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur
Anders Eriksson doesn't litterAnders Eriksson doesn't litter

Device: a blue Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I do, too. Think I'm no. 5.

What I would like to see, was some more user-friendly documentation. You can find things here that you can't find in other places - or perhaps it only exist in Russian. Things like that. It's not easy to find out where to start looking and it's easy to miss information that might make a good device work much better for the user. The start-up guide that came with the device was so-so. A few more illustrations would make things clearer. When I downloaded a firmware upgrade, the link had 'TEST' in it, and I wondered whether I was actually downloading the right software, but I couldn't find anything else. In short, product support could be improved somewhat. I'm sure there's a lot of great information available, but it's not all easy to find.
For me it seems like the "Add category" (a long press on the OK when you are in Favorites) is a bit like the Sony's "Collections" that are used by Calibre for its tags.

I have tested to create multiple categories and then added the same book to multiple categories, you can even add a folder as favorite, so for instance if you sort your books under a separate folder for each author, then you could add multiple author folders to a category.

I know this is done on the device, and I haven't checked how the Favorite's are stored on the device, but I would be surprised if it is impossible to do this from Calibre.

Last edited by Anders Eriksson; 04-18-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Anders Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote