Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
use nrapallo's conversion tool (lit2imp) to convert them in literally about 3 clicks and 15 seconds (alternatively, you can also get mobipocket books, and convert them, if lit is not available). that way you are sure you'll be able to read your book in the future if you get a different device ; the .imp format is closed and proprietary and not good at all for archiving. plus, that means you can buy books in a lot more places, even the shops which don't sell .imp format.
Yep, what she said, that is, use nrapallo's conversion tool (lit2imp) to convert them in literally about 3 clicks and 15 seconds (link included now)!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks nick ! i should have posted the link, you're right, but i'm having a busy day !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i would recommend that instead of purchasing .imp format books, you get .lit format (MS Reader) instead, remove the drm, and use nrapallo's conversion tool (lit2imp) to convert them in literally about 3 clicks and 15 seconds (alternatively, you can also get mobipocket books, and convert them, if lit is not available). that way you are sure you'll be able to read your book in the future if you get a different device ; the .imp format is closed and proprietary and not good at all for archiving. plus, that means you can buy books in a lot more places, even the shops which don't sell .imp format.
OK, is there anything at all illegal or unethical in removing the DRM? I don't really know anything about it except a few arguments I've seen here in other threads about it. I don't want to do anything that might land me in Sing Sing.
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #19
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
OK, is there anything at all illegal or unethical in removing the DRM? I don't really know anything about it except a few arguments I've seen here in other threads about it. I don't want to do anything that might land me in Sing Sing.

The answer is yes and no.

Yes its techincally illegal to strip DRM off. However most of us will agree that its not a huge issue unless you are planning on re-selling the un-DRM'd book, that is VERY illegal and will get you in trouble.

If you are just removing the DRM to convert the book to another format so you can read it, its technically illegal, but chances of you getting in trouble with the law for it? Highly unllikely.

I don't consider it to be unethical, unless of course you are reselling the book. If it just for your reading enjoyment? That doesn't seem unethical to me.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
The answer is yes and no.

Yes its techincally illegal to strip DRM off. However most of us will agree that its not a huge issue unless you are planning on re-selling the un-DRM'd book, that is VERY illegal and will get you in trouble.

If you are just removing the DRM to convert the book to another format so you can read it, its technically illegal, but chances of you getting in trouble with the law for it? Highly unllikely.

I don't consider it to be unethical, unless of course you are reselling the book. If it just for your reading enjoyment? That doesn't seem unethical to me.

Amy
Hmm, well, I'm certainly not standing in judgment of anyone else, and if you choose to do that, it's your prerogative. But if I'm kind of a nitpicker for staying on the right side of the law, so unless someone can show me a difference between "technically illegal" and "actually illegal" that would hold up in court, I think I'll pass.
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #21
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
The way copyright and the technical restrictions around it work, most people break the law multiple times every week, through format shifting, or forwarding an article in an email, or hanging a comic cut out from the newspaper on the fridge, or something else. If you use a computer, it's pretty much guaranteed you're technically breaking the law.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote