Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 03:50 AM   #16
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Oh and all of Astak's products have replacable batteries correct?
Yes, both the 5" and 6" have replaceable batteries.

http://www.astak.com/product.asp?ser...et PRO Battery
http://www.astak.com/product.asp?ser...Reader Battery

However, the spare batteries aren't up on the site for international ordering yet. Astak are still checking international regulations regarding the shipping of them. Hopefully this will be rectified soon.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 AM   #17
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Does anyone have details on what the battery is? Type number, or even voltage and rating etc?

It might be better to source it locally for those of us outside the US.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 04:39 AM   #18
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Does anyone have details on what the battery is? Type number, or even voltage and rating etc?
The PocketPRO battery is a 3.7 volt 1000 mah 3 terminal Lithium Polymer smart battery that measures 60mm long, 45mm wide, and 3.6 mm thick.

Quote:
It might be better to source it locally for those of us outside the US.
So far, there are no other sources identified.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:02 AM   #19
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The PocketPRO battery is a 3.7 volt 1000 mah 3 terminal Lithium Polymer smart battery that measures 60mm long, 45mm wide, and 3.6 mm thick.(

Sounds like an iPod battery, but I'd have to measure the size (other mah ratings are available)

Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 AM   #20
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sounds like an iPod battery, but I'd have to measure the size (other mah ratings are available)
Those are Lithium Ion batteries, not Lithium Polymer, so you need to check the thickness very carefully. Usually Lithium Ion cells are thicker than Lithium Polymer cells, because of their metal casing. Otherwise they do look similar, including the 3 leads allowing for the smart battery communication link, except for their much lower capacity rating. I could live with a *reliable* lower capacity rating if it fits.
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I'm still waiting to buy as well. Got about 4 week or so. I'm wondering if I shouldn't get the 6" to avoid all these paint peeling problems... but I really would prefer a USB2.0 connection. Decisions, decisions. Maybe within 4 weeks the paint problem will be cleared up...

Oh and all of Astak's products have replacable batteries correct? This is mega important to me living in Australia. I don't want to have to send it back to the company to get a new battery.
The USB2 on the 5" has proved problematic (at least under windows ).
and appears to run at USB 1.x speeds under Ubuntu (Linux) It takes me longer to choose the titles to download than transfer them to the PEz at USB 1 speeds.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
and appears to run at USB 1.x speeds under Ubuntu (Linux) It takes me longer to choose the titles to download than transfer them to the PEz at USB 1 speeds.
How bad are the problems? To the point of the unit being unusable? Or just running at 1.1 speeds?

I wish someone would put out the perfect reader. One that could read most formats including those from Amazon. And one that had no problems with any parts on it.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #23
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
How bad are the problems? To the point of the unit being unusable? Or just running at 1.1 speeds?
In my case the PocketPRO is completely unusable using USB2.0 because of very high error rates, so I have to force USB1.1 by running the PocketPRO through a USB1.1 hub. But that is jut my case, not everyone has problems with with USB2.0 on the PocketPRO. I suppose that the problem *might* be due to some low level incompatibility problems with the chipsets being used.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #24
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm... I guess something else I should consider then. I must admit I am concerned with buying one what with the paint problems and now hearing about this USB problem as well. Maybe for stability sake I'd be better off with a 6" EZReader instead.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #25
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Hmmm... I guess something else I should consider then. I must admit I am concerned with buying one what with the paint problems and now hearing about this USB problem as well. Maybe for stability sake I'd be better off with a 6" EZReader instead.
I love my 6" running the OpenInkpot firmware!! I hope that OpenInkpot eventually becomes available for the 5" too.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Wink

Quote:
Unusable to the point that you need to reboot Windows to recover the USB port on the computer. I don't have a USB1 hub handy. BTW I have 3 computers with Windows XP all with older Intel USB2 chipsets that have the same problem.
2 of those computers are Dual Boot Ubuntu, and work that way (Guessing at USB 1 mode)

Quote:
I wish someone would put out the perfect reader. One that could read most formats including those from Amazon. And one that had no problems with any parts on it.
Proprietary is the name of the game. Lock you into their supply chain.

Astak is working on making the perfect reader ,
they just don't quite have it quite right ,

Yet.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #27
Laura81
Addict

Hell I don't want to have to reboot my computer everytime I try to use the USB connection... ugh, now I don't know whether to get an Astak reader or not. Glad I'm not in a hurry to buy anything.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #28
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Hell I don't want to have to reboot my computer everytime I try to use the USB connection... ugh, now I don't know whether to get an Astak reader or not. Glad I'm not in a hurry to buy anything.
Judging by reading here, there are probably more people that do not have any USB2.0 problems with the 5" than there are people that do have problems. You might be one of the lucky ones. If there is a problem, just force USB1.1 and then there are no USB problems. The 6" is pretty much problem free as far as hardware goes, and can use the easily available Nokia BL-5C battery. I do not care much for the factory firmware, but OpenInkpot takes care of that very nicely.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #29
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Unusable to the point that you need to reboot Windows to recover the USB port on the computer. I don't have a USB1 hub handy. BTW I have 3 computers with Windows XP all with older Intel USB2 chipsets that have the same problem.
2 of those computers are Dual Boot Ubuntu, and work that way (Guessing at USB 1 mode)

All tested with the same reader?

Also are you hinting that there is no problem with newer USB2 chipsets?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #30
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
USB speeds.

Quote:
Please remember that the fastest way to get purchased or downloaded eBooks into the Pocket PRO will always be to use a card reader/writer and put it onto the SD card. That is a breeze to do and very inexpensive.

For me, the book I downloaded via Adobe Digital Editions just drags and drops into either the internal memory or the SD card in my Pocket PRO thru USB. As fast as I can drag and drop it is in the Pocket PRO. There is no lag time I have seen.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote