Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #31
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I believe it is PD and not copyrighted, but they do require attribution.
If it is PD, they can require nothing... only suggest, hope, or perhaps even beg.

Popular perceptions of copyright and related issues are really in bad shape if even an agency of NASA's size cannot grasp the simple idea of their not having rights of any sort over PD material... even if it comes from them, even if they spent a 100 gajillion dollars making it, even if they worked their little NASA-ite hearts out and skipped coffee-breaks for weeks.

Or am I missing something?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #32
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
You're right. I guess I should've said "they do request attribution." And it's definitely poor use of the word 'mandatory' on their part.

EDIT: And I see you've added some Bringhurst to your signature. I hadn't noticed that before.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #33
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
You're right. I guess I should've said "they do request attribution." And it's definitely poor use of the word 'mandatory' on their part.
Wasn't blaming you... It's their copyright-ignorance that leaves me irate.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #34
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
On a small aside, of the pictures I posted of the current book covers, two of them came out funky because of a weird color translation issue. One of them actually looked better after the conversion to CMYK (the colors changed and added a nice touch to it) but the other didn't fare so well, so I had to have someone tinker with it a bit to make it happier. Hopefully when he's done, the final product will look good.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #35
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey guys, sorry to revive a dead thread, but I'd like to show you what a friend of mine came up with. Since mojo backed out of doing the covers for personal reasons, I showed the designs to a friend of mine, and using the free fleet logo mojo gave me as the centerpiece, he came up with these three covers for me.

Oh, and yes, the title on book 1 is misspelled, and I've told him about that. I just don't have the updated proof yet. ^_^;;

Last edited by Steven Lake; 12-12-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #36
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Make the 'O' of each title into the Earthfleet logo. H'o'meworld. Destiny's Missi'o'n. The 'O'ort Perimeter. That's my only suggestion as the artwork is very nice Kudos to your friend

Last edited by Moejoe; 12-12-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #37
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Danke good sir, I'll pass that idea along.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #38
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Make the 'O' of each title into the Earthfleet logo. H'o'meworld. Destiny's Missi'o'n. The 'O'ort Perimeter. That's my only suggestion as the artwork is very nice Kudos to your friend
I had the same thought before I saw Moejoe's comment. Just a little logo in each title to keep it in parallel. Again, to keep in parallel, "Book 3" may look better on the bottom, as it is on Book 1 and 2?

Nice cover artwork by your friend. They do catch your attention.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #39
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
What MJ said =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #40
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The placement of the ``Book #: of the Earthfleet Saga'' line should be consistent for all
iterations.

Ditto the author's name --- it's a couple of pixels off for the center version.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #41
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
NOOOOOO ... don't use the logo as a letter, that's corny, unless you want to use MS Comic Sans as a font.

I like the 2nd cover best, it's very, very appealing. Maybe reduce the size of the icon in the other two covers to match the second one

Also, the third cover is a lot nicer to look at than the first, if you#re uncertain, try using the setup from the third for the first (Name - title - Logo)

The blue icon on a blueish background is hard to see, I'd make it white with some transparency.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #42
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I'd also subscribe to a newspaper style for font placement.

What do you want the most important part of the cover to be? Your name? The title? The series?

Imagine the cover has an imaginary line on it right in the middle. Everything above it is more important than what's below it.

I'd do the title, name, book number...in that order.

I think your second cover, Destiny's Mission, is the perfect cover style for all 3.

Except I'd center the title. Then again, I can barely draw a stick figure and am not the best for advice here
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote