Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 11-11-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Exclusive: Washington Times for Avantgo & Co

To test-drive a new automated system I've been working on, I am going to share with you new mobile links to (highly demanded) web pages that don't offer native mobile support. Those mobile links can be used with any offline and online browser. So... Avantgo, iSilo, Plucker & Co users, please enjoy Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Today's links: Washington Times Mobile
Link-Depth: 1

Washington Times - World
Washington Times - Nation/Politics
Washington Times - Business
Washington Times - Editorials/Op-Ed
Washington Times - Commentary
Washington Times - Metropolitan
Washington Times - Sports
Washington Times - Entertainment
Old 11-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yippee!!!!!
It's a happy day for me. These feeds are great.

Tip for reading with iSilo...
Use the stylus to drag the screen as you go thru the titles with sample text. If you try to page down thru it, you may get kind of lost about where the titles are.
Advert
Old 11-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bob, do you have a suggestion how to improve usability? Perhaps we should enumerate the titles?
Old 11-11-2004, 01:11 PM   #4
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Hi,

WOW!

This is content that I had only found thru Handstory.

I stopped using Handstory because of Isilo and missed this content.

Nice job as usual but like the CBS content and MSNBC content I would like to see the individual links consolidated into one.

Would there be ways to do these the way you have them now and the way I have requested them?

Not trying to make more work for you(seriously) but you did ask for the feedback.

Peace,

David
Old 11-11-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alex,

No matter what tweaks to make or not make, it's really an awesome presentatation of the content. But since you're asking, my personal preference would be:

1) The first list of one-liner links, would point directly to the full text story rather than the truncated example text. I figure either I want to scan the stories from the first one-liner list or from the truncated text, not start with the one-liner version and then move to the truncated text version and then move again to the full text. After all, if I wanted to do that, I'd probably just start with the truncated text in the first place, and ignore the one-liner lists. Currently, I do that because it's sort of the only reasonable option. But, like I said, it works fantastic just as it is right now. <-- Me... very happy!

2) I also agree with David that it would be nice if there was a page that had links to all the sections. I.e. an additional new top-level page with a link for each of the Wash Times sections. Another new top-level page for all the CNET sections. Etc.
Then, if the original links remain available, I could also choose whether just to include, for example, the water cooler section of CBS news by itself, or to include all the content from CBS news.
Advert
Old 11-11-2004, 03:48 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

The problem with putting the content together is that I would have to fetch all content at once. The danger with this is that the connection could more easily time out (for it takes longer to fetch several pages at once).

However, after re-reading Bob's 2nd suggestion, I think I have an idea how to make this possible. Let me finish the database project, so I can move all the links to the database and clear the mess on my harddrive
Old 11-11-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

I wasn't sure what you meant about combining content, so just to clarify point #1, the existing layout would not have to change... the only thing that would change would be the destination of the links at the very top. It would redirect you to the full text instead of the truncated sample text.

Point #2.. Cool!
Old 11-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Yes sorry I was only referring to point #2. Your first suggestion sounds good to me, although I personally prefer the current layout. Perhaps I should make it a user preference option.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:15 PM   #9
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Hi,

Alex,sorry for not explaining myself clearer but,The idea that BobR suggested is pretty much what I would like to see.

Peace,

David
Old 11-11-2004, 04:17 PM   #10
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
I agree with you guys, it is more convenient to have the categories combined in one channel. The good thing about offering individual channels is that people can pick only the content they are interested in. Most don't know how to 'exclude' links, so they end up downloading everything causing unnecessary strain on bandwidth. So it is a tricky decision.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:20 AM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Seems that the Washington Times feeds don't work anymore. Not sure if it's fixable either.... they just changed their web site. (Top level is okay, but when you try to go to the full article it errors out.) In fact, if you click on print, you no longer get a printable version. You just get a printer dialog.

Ugh. This is one of my favorites.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:08 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thanks for the heads up, Bob. I did some changes to the feeds; as soon as the cache expires (2 hours), they should work for you again.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Yes, it's working great. After not seeing a printer-friendly page available on the web site I didn't think it could be done, but I'm glad you found a way. Thank you!