Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none
buying from kobo store , is this possible.

gift giving season is coming ... and now my aunt has realize that many have ereaders... either kobo, sony, etc..... now she asks ,,, is it possible for her to buy ebooks.. she will have it in her library.... then when her niece/nephews come over with their ereaders, it would be manageable to have it transfered to their respective ereaders. thanks.
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcread View Post
gift giving season is coming ... and now my aunt has realize that many have ereaders... either kobo, sony, etc..... now she asks ,,, is it possible for her to buy ebooks.. she will have it in her library.... then when her niece/nephews come over with their ereaders, it would be manageable to have it transfered to their respective ereaders. thanks.
Not without illegal practice*, I guess.

* By use of Calibre and other software solutions it would be practically possible to strip ebooks of DRM and upload them to other ereaders, but that would only be legal for non copyrighted books.

It might be possible to 'lend' accountcredentials to niece/nephews, but possibly not preferable. With the Kobo-store, that seems to be non-legal too (see thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193879).
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none
ok........ just wondering how to go about it .......so not a good idea for her to start buying from kobo ... she thought it was an easy idea....
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
ok........ just wondering how to go about it .......so not a good idea for her to start buying from kobo ... she thought it was an easy idea....
Kobo does have a method of gifting specific books as well as general gift cards.

http://www.kobobooks.com/gifting
http://www.kobobooks.com/egiftcards

What you would have to hand over to a child, I don't know.

Last edited by nogle; 11-02-2012 at 08:32 AM.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
It's not Kobo alone. It has to do with any bookseller, because most of the books that are sold have some kind of DRM on them. Don't forget, ebooks are not paper-books. When you buy an e-book, you are not actually buying the book, you are buying a license to use it, and in most cases, that license is personal and protected with DRM.

By the way, your aunt can of course always give her own reader to niece/nephews temporarily!

Last edited by echwel; 11-02-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added comment about lending ereader
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
An other solution is accessing e-book stores that do not have DRM or even a charge such as Gutenburg.org. Of course these would have to be accessed via a PC and then side loaded to either the e-reader or a micro-sdhc card.

One could also have a shared KOBO account where all purchases are shared across all members. They would have to work out the payment issue as well as the sync issue but it is workable.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
An other solution is accessing e-book stores that do not have DRM or even a charge such as Gutenburg.org. Of course these would have to be accessed via a PC and then side loaded to either the e-reader or a micro-sdhc card.

One could also have a shared KOBO account where all purchases are shared across all members. They would have to work out the payment issue as well as the sync issue but it is workable.

John
If I recall correctly, the Kobo Touch is one of the few ereaders that will download an ebook directly to the device from sites such as gutenburg.org or feedbooks.com. However if you do download the ebook directly, the file will be installed on the device and the filename will be a combination of alphanumeric characters that won't make human sense. No adverse effects on actually using the book.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:48 AM   #8
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Would it not be possible to download the epub version of the Kobo ebooks and then register the relatives devices to your aunts ADE account and then transfer the books via ADE TO the relatives epub compatible devices? I'm sure with ADE you are allowed to authorise up to 5 or 6 different devices.

Maybe things have changed since I last used the ADE system extensively.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

I believe that ADE allows registering 12 PC devices and 12 mobile devices after that you will have to contact Adobe to have the count reset. (or it may be 6 pc's and 6 mobile devices for a count of 12)

If you unregister a device the count is NOT returned to your allowable quota. I found this out when I went through PC hard drive upgrades and ended up using all my allowable count. The Adobe tech support stated that unregistering a device does affect your quota.

That said it could be feasible to share the ADE account as appose to the Kobo account because it is usually not tide into the purchasing method.

So go to your KOBO website on a PC - sign in - go to your purchase history and download the epub version of the desired books you may have to action then one at a time to add them to your ADE library.

Then when the family comes over - authorize their reader and transfer the books to their device.

The only draw back is that oeveryone has to use the same ADE account. If the others want to do their own downloads from other web sites they will need to know the ADE email and password to set up their own web accounts at various ebook sites. Paymant method will not be tied to the original ADE account holder as this is just providing the encryption for the e-books.

It should work.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 11-09-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I once read that you could add 2 new readers a year beyond starting limit to your ADE account. Must also be maximum number. Subject to change beyond our control is biggest problem with DRM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
jlg432
Addict

I make a practice of removing DRM.

Several years back Adobe changed their DRM strategy and there was a limited time to switch over. Those that were not aware of the change and missed the deadline also became proud owners of books that they could no longer access on newer devices. Hence my reason for the practice.

Same thing is sort of happening with their "Flash player" on mobile devices.
Nothing lasts forever unless you plan for it.

AFAIK you can use up all your ADE account allotments in one day if you have sufficient devices.

John
Old 11-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
jlg432
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
If I recall correctly, the Kobo Touch is one of the few ereaders that will download an ebook directly to the device from sites such as gutenburg.org or feedbooks.com. However if you do download the ebook directly, the file will be installed on the device and the filename will be a combination of alphanumeric characters that won't make human sense. No adverse effects on actually using the book.

That is why I access these books via my laptop so that I can change the file name back to what it should be after the file is downloaded from the web site via ADE. Then I transfer the e-books over to whatever e-reader I am using.

Gutenburge usually provides an alphanumeric name. I keep the website up and do a copy/paste of the title as p12345 means nothing until you open the file. Same thing with Kobo books.

John