Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
RMOP
Connoisseur
RMOP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, TabPRO 8.4, Galaxy Light, Sony PRS-300
Kindle Android: NOA Dictionary Filename?

I want to try to swap out the default NOAD on my Kindle Android Reader with a different one. To do so, I first have to locate the filename of the NOAD on my Android. Seems simple, but I can't find it.

Anyone, please? Thanks.
RMOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The file name of the NOA dictionary is B003ODIZL6_EBOK.azw. But simply deleting it won't do you any good, because the Kindle app will simply re-download it the next time you look up a word.
If you want to use an alternative dictionary, you'll need to change its ASIN to B003ODIZL6 so that it matches the NOA dictionary.
For more information see this thread.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
RMOP
Connoisseur

Thanks. Mine seems to be named B004H1U2M4_EBOK.mbp on my Android. At least there's nothing else close. I'd spotted it before your reply and renamed the extension, thinking that might clarify its identify as the dictionary, but renaming the extension didn't keep it from functioning. So, as you and others have pointed out, the ASIN is the key, and I gather the ASIN not just that string in the filename. I could change the filename of my other dictionary to match my current default and do a relacement, but your link suggests the process to be a bit more sophisticated than that. If fact, I MOVED the aforementioned file to another directory and renamed another dictionary using the original name, but the Kindle Reader not only doesn't recognize the new dictionary, it continues to find and use the NOAD, even though I moved it to another directory,

Mobi2Mob1's screen capture in the link you sent didn't seem to have a specific field for changing ASIN, or did I just miss it?

Again, thanks.

Last edited by RMOP; 01-16-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOP View Post
Mine seems to be named B004H1U2M4_EBOK.mbp on my Android.
No, that's not it. MBP files are bookmark files that are created when you read a book. I don't know the structure of Android apps, but since the file name is the same for the iPhone app and the Kindle for PC app, I'd be surprised if they actually renamed if for the Android version. Install ES File Explorer or a similar tool and search for all .azw files and you'll eventually find it.

Before you start the hassle of ASIN patching, you might want to download the very latest Kindle for Android app, which offers both the US and UK versions of the Oxford dictionary.
You can switch between them by touching the cogwheel icon in the upper right corner. (If you select a dictionary that is not installed, the app will download it for you. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOP View Post
Mobi2Mob1's screen capture in the link you sent didn't seem to have a specific field for changing ASIN, or did I just miss it?
You need to select ASIN from the exth type drop-down list box.

BTW, if you just want to be able to look up a word that's not in an ebook, simply highlight a random common word in an English ebook. Then touch the Full Definition link in the lower right corner of the dictionary popup window. This will open the dictionary like a normal book that can be searched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4pc.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	81393   Click image for larger version

Name:	asin.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	81394  

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-16-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
RMOP
Connoisseur

Thanks. Kindle support just advised me that it's not possible to switch between the two auto-downloaded dictionaries. I'll try your advice, as Amazon is not always Amazing. And I'll poke around for the .azw extension on my Android.

Cheers,

Later...I simple cannot find a file with an extension of .azw on my Android. If anyone can point me directly to it...

Even Later...Amazon Kindle Support called in response to my request for support. The rep was friendly, but clueless about the Android Kindle Reader.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Dictionary might be integral to the application. However, after the last Kindle Reader Android update, my dictionary had to be downloaded again.

Presently, my Kindle Library shows TWO (2) dictionaries which I did not purchase, the NOAD and the ODE, both showing being added to my account on 06 DEC 2011. The only option under "Action" is "Delete from Library." I might just try that with the NOAD and see what happens...

ANY IDEAS HERE?

Last edited by RMOP; 01-17-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add info
Advert