Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
New Galaxy S wifi 5" android at Amazon

I like a 5" too. Something that will fit in a shirt pocket. Samsung just brought out a Galaxy Note which is really a smartphone. It has a 5.3" AMOLED screen. It is way too expensive though.

Still they are bringing to the US sometime in Oct their new Galaxy WiFi S 4" and 5" Players.
LCD screens but heck what is the Fire about?

In particular the Galaxy 5" player is of interest. It is supposed to be 269USD while the 4" is either 229 or 239USD.

The width for the 5" player is 3.07 inches, the length is 5.56 inches.
That will go in my pocket easily. [Sizes corrected. Were for 4" model.]

Here is the URL (note for Singapore right now.) Coming to US in Oct (16th maybe.)

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...ype=prd_detail

Oops just checked. Now available for pre-order on our friend Amazon. Release date Oct 16 as above.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...7543156&sr=8-2

One note, Amazon has a mistake about the display at 480x480 pixels, but the Samsung site has it 480x800 pixels.

Last edited by frahse; 10-02-2011 at 12:47 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Why would I even want that. Seems just the wrong size. My DroidX plays mp3's just fine. at 4.3" it is pretty much the maximum size I'd want for a phone.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Why would I even want that. Seems just the wrong size. My DroidX plays mp3's just fine. at 4.3" it is pretty much the maximum size I'd want for a phone.
Not a phone, little sharpshooter, just WiFi and a neat 5" reader and data carrier that easily goes in a pocket, even a shirt pocket. It will also create and modify documents, has a regular file system and a browser and all that.

And I usually don't play music with my phone. In fact on the current one I have never put the first song. I do take some nice pictures though.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Not a phone, little sharpshooter, just WiFi and a neat 5" reader and data carrier that easily goes in a pocket, even a shirt pocket. It will also create and modify documents, has a regular file system and a browser and all that.

And I usually don't play music with my phone. In fact on the current one I have never put the first song. I do take some nice pictures though.
Didn't say it was a phone, Mr. fillie, as I said it's the wrong size for most pockets, including shirt pockets, unless you carry it in your man-purse.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Quote:
Didn't say it was a phone, Mr. fillie, as I said it's the wrong size for most pockets, including shirt pockets, unless you carry it in your man-purse.
Sorry, you are misunderstanding. You reference a phone in the first quote above. Personally it would fit my pocket fine but I am a 2X. The "man-purse" thing doesn't compute. It must be a "local" phenomena affecting you.

I did check the dimensions again, and they have changed on the Samsung page. This is the first time I have seen them out, and on Amazon and they have some tweaking to do.

Oh, and did I mention that it has GPS and can create, edit and save MS documents among others.

I have had it in my Amazon cart now for less than a day, but I think I am going ahead and punching the "buy" button.
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
kennyc

Go right ahead. As I said, it's completely the wrong thing as far as I'm concerned, but everyone's needs vary.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Go right ahead. As I said, it's completely the wrong thing as far as I'm concerned, but everyone's needs vary.
It is for carrying while traveling light with no bag or pack, with perhaps a light jacket or blazer. If I have a suit, then I am all geared up with plenty of room.

In the future I hope to pick up a Galaxy Note (5.3 inch AMOLED screen - that probably makes you cringe) and then I will replace my phone and the 5" device with just one. I just can't afford the estimates I have heard so far about the Note.

Maybe 1,000USD unlocked now. (Yes that is what someone said.)
In a couple of years, it might be half or less that new and certainly if refurbished.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
It is for carrying while traveling light with no bag or pack, with perhaps a light jacket or blazer. If I have a suit, then I am all geared up with plenty of room.

In the future I hope to pick up a Galaxy Note (5.3 inch AMOLED screen - that probably makes you cringe) and then I will replace my phone and the 5" device with just one. I just can't afford the estimates I have heard so far about the Note.

Maybe 1,000USD unlocked now. (Yes that is what someone said.)
In a couple of years, it might be half or less that new and certainly if refurbished.
No, your avatar makes me cringe.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
No, your avatar makes me cringe.
Realizing you wear pants that can't hold a 5" phone makes me cringe
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
kennyc

Yeah but those tight pants make the ladies swoon.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Yeah but those tight pants make the ladies swoon.
You oughta hear what they say: "hey monkey, is that a tail in your front pocket?"
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
The width for the 5" player is 3.07 inches, the length is 5.56 inches.
That will go in my pocket easily. [Sizes corrected. Were for 4" model.]
Had they introduced this 2 years ago, I might have gotten one. I was looking for a 5" reader at the time.

But those measurements don't compute. Pythagoras isn't satisfied with those numbers:
3.07^2 + 5.56^2 = 6.36^2...

So, that width and height should give a 6" screen...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But those measurements don't compute. Pythagoras isn't satisfied with those numbers:
3.07^2 + 5.56^2 = 6.36^2...

So, that width and height should give a 6" screen...
Dimensions include the bezel...
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Dimensions include the bezel...
Right on!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It's a neat looking device. A little odd-sized for my liking, and a little late to the party (somewhat). But, still a neat looking device.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote