Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
t3l01v
Enthusiast
t3l01v began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Rooted - Apps Issue

Hi all,
I recently rooted from 1.0.1 with auto-nooter. It's working, though I really don't see too much of a benefit to being rooted. I'm sure that will change though.

I have a problem though. When I install apps, they don't always appear in my Extras menu.

Anyone seen this or know what to do about it?

When I first rooted, YouTube had an icon in Extras. I uninstalled it because it stopped working, when I reinstalled, the icon in extras never came back.

Any advice?
t3l01v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
Did you reboot your nook? - Sometimes that works.

From my experience, the more you play with it the more you will love it! I am using LauncherPro, Astro (file manager), Dolphin 4.2 (browser) and downloaded some great apps for fun! I am loving my nook!
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3l01v View Post
Hi all,
I recently rooted from 1.0.1 with auto-nooter. It's working, though I really don't see too much of a benefit to being rooted...
It helps when you bring to the table a list of shortcomings that the stock device has. That's why I suggest people spend time with the stock device before rooting.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
t3l01v
Enthusiast

Yea Scion, without a doubt. I got it for XMas and avoided rooting until this week. My complaints were/are:

-Can't add sideloaded epubs to my home screen- only purchased items
-Can't re-organize the books in my default "Books" library
-Can't view .CBR files (comic books)
-Can't view imbedded FLV movies in web browser
-Want to replace the keyboard application with one that is more responsive and has a word anticipation feature that learns from the common words I use (like my iPhone)

Can you point me in the direction of resolutions for any of these?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
t3l01v
Enthusiast

Oh, and yes, I've tried rebooting several times. Whenever I install apps it's always hit/ miss when it comes to putting an icon in my Extras.
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3l01v View Post
Oh, and yes, I've tried rebooting several times. Whenever I install apps it's always hit/ miss when it comes to putting an icon in my Extras.
You should try out one of the alternative launchers. They have app drawers that are more reliable than the stock launcher and Extras. I like Zeam because it is simple and fast. Other people like ADW or Launcher Pro. They are all good.

Using one of these will also give the option of putting your own epubs on the home screen. Once you have an alternative launcher, use the advice here to configure this.

You can always switch back to the stock BN launcher.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
t3l01v
Enthusiast

Zart, you particularly have been very helpful.

I'm going to look into those apps now.

Oh! Also, I found ACV in another post on this forum, so we can cross the CBR/CBZ viewer off of my list.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
t3l01v
Enthusiast

WWWWWow!

Zeam is fantastic!

Exactly what I wanted. I'm all giggly, I'm finally getting my device where I want it to be!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
If you haven't already, get Dolphin 4.2 or one of the other pinch/zoom browsers - I am in heaven since I did!
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
t3l01v
Enthusiast

I've been using Dolphin HD
I think I like it. I don't use it a ton though.

When setting my own custom wallpaper though, I enlarge the crop box to get precisely the image I want, however it's zoomed way in when I actually set it. Trying to work that out, as it really annoys me.