Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
A few dumb questions about a rooted NC...

First of all, I just want to say Thank you to all of you here! Your helpfulness is awesome and I know I would not have taken the plunge if I didn't know that I would have you all as a safety net! I LOVE my newly rooted NC - and am totally satisfied with it. Just a few questions...

1. When I press the "N" I get a menu box that says:

Complete action using:
Home (takes you to the B&N home screen)
Launcher Pro (takes you to the Froyo Home screens)
Soft Keys (takes you to the B&N home screen)

What is soft keys? Does it do anything? Do I need it? Can I get rid of it? (If so, how?)

2. I use Launcher Pro, and it seems fine. I redid the grids so I could put my icons as I wanted them. Not at all dissatisfied, but I see that others use different launchers. Is there any big differences in the launchers? Advantages over Launcher Pro?

3. The browser that came with the rooter seems fine - is there a reason to switch to another browser? I heard people talking about dolphin - what is better about that over the standard browser?

4. Is there an easy way to turn off auto updates?

I think that is it for now. For those of you on the fence - it sounds a lot more complicated then it actually is. Just jump in and play with it - Worse case scenerio - you can always unroot it and get back to what it was originally. The only way to really understand it is to just do it! If you run into problems I guarantee that someone here will help you through it! You will love it!
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniren View Post
First of all, I just want to say Thank you to all of you here! Your helpfulness is awesome and I know I would not have taken the plunge if I didn't know that I would have you all as a safety net! I LOVE my newly rooted NC - and am totally satisfied with it. Just a few questions...

1. When I press the "N" I get a menu box that says:

Complete action using:
Home (takes you to the B&N home screen)
Launcher Pro (takes you to the Froyo Home screens)
Soft Keys (takes you to the B&N home screen)

I think you'll want to set Launcher Pro as Default, then you won't get the option.....you will want to download Home Switcher from the market (you'll need to go to the BN home screen once in a while to get the continue reading icon to work)

What is soft keys? Does it do anything? Do I need it? Can I get rid of it? (If so, how?)
Softkeys are shortcuts.....You really want Button Savior from the market....You'll need it in some apps

2. I use Launcher Pro, and it seems fine. I redid the grids so I could put my icons as I wanted them. Not at all dissatisfied, but I see that others use different launchers. Is there any big differences in the launchers? Advantages over Launcher Pro?
I use ADW....I like it.....haven't tried Zeam or Launcher Pro yet.....I think you just need to try all of them, and judge for yourself

3. The browser that came with the rooter seems fine - is there a reason to switch to another browser? I heard people talking about dolphin - what is better about that over the standard browser?

You want Dolphin.....much better.....just download it and try it out.....I'm sure you'll agree after using it

4. Is there an easy way to turn off auto updates?

Yes....I did it.....but I'm sure someone else can explain it better.......I think you want to do that for sure, so you don't get any unexpected updates....

Information is in this link
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...p5#post1308801

I think that is it for now. For those of you on the fence - it sounds a lot more complicated then it actually is. Just jump in and play with it - Worse case scenerio - you can always unroot it and get back to what it was originally. The only way to really understand it is to just do it! If you run into problems I guarantee that someone here will help you through it! You will love it!
It is fun ain't it........but you're supposed to be reading

Last edited by The Joker; 01-22-2011 at 03:45 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
Thanks Joker, but I am too busy playing angry birds to read lol!
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
For Dolphin, make sure to get the older 4.2 version instead of the newer one from marketplace (4.3). 4.3 loses pinch/zoom on the NC.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I would try XScope 6 Trial as a browser. It is faster than any browser out there and does pinch-zoom. If the trial ever expires I am going to buy it
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert