Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Athos
Athos began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-505
Where might one find...

... a free dictionary and thesaurus for the Sony eReader?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Athos
Athos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
www.fictionwise.com and click on "free ebooks"
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Athos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
www.fictionwise.com and click on "free ebooks"
Thank you, but they seem to be limited to samples i.e. partial dictionaries. I'm after a complete version.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Sony Reader (not "eReader", please!) does not support dictionaries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Just to clarify Harry's comment, you can put a dictionary on a Reader but you will need to know what page to jump to for a particular word definition or else page through it manually. There is no mechanism to jump to a particular word.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
Athos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Just to clarify Harry's comment, you can put a dictionary on a Reader but you will need to know what page to jump to for a particular word definition or else page through it manually. There is no mechanism to jump to a particular word.
That's fine. But where would I find a free one to put on there, please?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I don't know of one. I assumed that using one would require a minimum of 20 or more button pushes per look-up and that's if I was lucky at guessing a word's location in the dictionary. So I haven't bothered to try to find one. However, there is a thread here about a dictionary for the Sony Readers that involves a hack. You might read through and decide if it's something for you to try or not: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22320
Old 09-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Athos

Quote:
Actually, I don't know of one. I assumed that using one would require a minimum of 20 or more button pushes per look-up and that's if I was lucky at guessing a word's location in the dictionary. So I haven't bothered to try to find one. However, there is a thread here about a dictionary for the Sony Readers that involves a hack. You might read through and decide if it's something for you to try or not: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22320
Thanks, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for; I don't need a searchable one, just a strightforward one, and I will flick back and forth until I find the page I want. Does anyone know if ther eis such a thing out there?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's the 1913 Websters, available from PG. You're not going to find a free modern dictionary, though. You'll have to buy one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's the 1913 Websters, available from PG. You're not going to find a free modern dictionary, though. You'll have to buy one.
And I don't see one available from Sony except for specialty dictionaries (e.g., Computational Hydraulics and Hydrology - An Illustrated Dictionary).
Old 09-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
Athos

Quote:
And I don't see one available from Sony except for specialty dictionaries (e.g., Computational Hydraulics and Hydrology - An Illustrated Dictionary).
As riveting as that tome undoubtedly must be, I'm looking for something a little more general.

Does anyone have any other ideas, please?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos View Post
Does anyone have any other ideas, please?
You're just not going to find a modern dictionary for free (legally). They're all under copyright.

However, if you're willing to pay to get one, I suggest searching BooksOnBoard. Here are a few I was able to find:

Concise Oxford English Dictionary

Electronic Pocket Oxford English Dictionary

There are more, of course.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Those appear to be only available in Mobipocket format, not Sony. Sorry, Athos, I've looked also and can't find one anywhere. If there was a good one that was free and legal in HTML format, I'd be willing to give a shot at converting it to Sony LRF format and add a two-tiered table of contents (clicking on E takes you to another table of contents for those words beginning with E; clicking on EL takes you to a section of the dictionary with words starting with EL so that you can more quickly look up ELUCIDATE, for example). If anyone ever finds one, let me know.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Those appear to be only available in Mobipocket format, not Sony.
Isn't DRM laden Mobipocket crackable? And if so, it should be possible to convert it to LRF. Or not?

BTW vivaldi, HarryT mentioned there was an older dictionary available from PG. Yeah it's a bit old, but I'm guessing the English language didn't completely reinvent itself in the last 100 years. It should still be quite useful.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Good ole' manybooks.net has Websters 1913 in two volumes.

Last edited by Oh, Why Not?; 09-30-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: For correct URL
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote