Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #31
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I wanted the Kindle the instant I saw it. I have been reading ebooks on my Macbook for over a year in PDF. I purchased books from Fictionwise for over 3 years and read off my desktop. As a Apple product user I'm used to paying high prices for my toys but I refused to pay $400 for something so ugly, yes it is, but broke down a year later when I was able to get one for $300. I use it every day but it's still ugly. I would love to know how many units were sold in its first year. I wish Apple would make a reader but Steve Jobs said that not enough people read to make it worth while. I hope he's pulling my leg.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon is not alone in not releasing numbers. Nobody is releasing numbers. So it's all just pure speculation until we get some real numbers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #33
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about Amazon not releasing numbers - no tech company I ever worked for (or the spouse, either) released sales figures for devices which were selling into a tight and competitive market.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:05 AM   #34
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I wonder if most Sony users buy books from Connect or from other sources. I know most of the folks here don't but I don't know how typical they are. I bring this up because I think one could make a compelling argument that the Kindle + Amazon is likely cheaper in the long run for many people than Sony + Connect. This isn't just because the book prices are a bit lower. Because you get free samples, you rarely end up buying a book you don't like or end up finishing. Sony has excerpts but they seem rather short. Also, because you can get your books almost anywhere in the US regardless of whether you have a computer with you, there is rarely a need to buy more than what you want to read right now. When I bought paper books, I would try to get books for a month at a time. Because of this I have quite a few books I haven't read. I may never read them. My fancy for them passed. With the Kindle, I only buy in advance if I'm leaving the country. Even then, I can read a generous sample at my leisure. When I look at how much money I've wasted in those two ways, I can see that $100-$150 gap closing really quickly. When I add to that the features that Sony lacks, the decision is really easy.
I have spent alot of time between the Connect store and the Kindle store. ON average the Kindle books are consistently cheaper for Best sellers' at 9.99 most Sony new release titles are in the 11-14 dollar range. Now everyday titles at the Sony store seem to be 7.49 compared to Kindle's 6.49-6.89 price However Sony offers bundles that come in under the Kindle prices if bought individually. Sony also emails out discount coupons that range from mostly 20% up to 50% Keep in mind all of these prices may vary depending on individual books, but title for title this is what I have found. Yes in the long run if you buy individual books from the Connect Store about every 3rd or 4th book would have been able to get you a 5th book at the kindle prices. My only Fear with Sony is that like other products in the Past Sony may decide to cut an run on the Ebook Market. My wife and I just had this discussion yesterday even though I may not like the hardware (Kindle) Amazon knows Books. Sony is a knowledgeable company when it comes to hardware and electronics but what does Sony know about Books. I think it should have been a joint venture Sony supplies the Hardware and Amazon the Content. Who knows it may even go to that in the future with a merge of Technology. Even if you had both Devices not all titles are available between the two, There are alot of incomplete series offered leaving you to still buying print versions. I have found that with the exception of a few Both stores offer the same titles. Sorry for the long Post but this is a favorite topic of mine seeing as how I really want both devices. But in the End I think Content should weigh in more heavily than Hardware. This coming from the guy that has bought more Aesthetically pleasing gadgets to only have them tank a year later because of a lack of support (anyone remember the Sega Dreamcast, Or Phillips CD-i or my personal favorite the DIVX player)

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 06-28-2008 at 03:09 AM.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #35
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
What Amazon has done is make ebook readers easy for the masses. I agree that the initial cost is prohibitive to many, but the Kindle does come with Amazon's 30-day return policy.
Many people that I know consider $30-$40 per month for books reasonable and remember that Amazon currently has more than 135K of books for the Kindle - price competitive. This is a great continuing revenue stream for Amazon.
Your forum may actually be one of the best marketing tools for e-readers, Kindle included. Look at how many new people are signing up every day, here or at the Yahoo Kindle Group. Buying books for the Kindle is idiot easy, and that fits a mass marketing profile. It will be interesting to see how quickly the next generation Kindle hits the market, maybe fixing the ergonomic deficiencies. Anyone want to quess how soon that will be?

In general, I see e-readers quickly gaining popularity and Amazon will remain a major player because their marketing strategy makes purchasing ebooks so easy.

Cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:02 AM   #36
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Maybe Amazon can follow other business plans, Free Kindle, Pay 30 bucks a month download and read all the books you want. If you cant finish a book in the time allotted before it locks up re download it and try again. I think if you ran the numbers this would be a win for Amazon because of all the kindle users what is the average spent a month on books? Yes you have the select few that spend fifty or more but what about the ones that just maybe buy 4 books at less than 8 dollars apiece? I think initially owners do buy alot of books but then they get back logged on their reading and find that the 20 books they bought will take longer to read than they planned. Just a thought, Now if Amazon does this and makes a fortune I want everyone here to be my witness I thought of it FIRST!

JJ
Old 07-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #37
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Buying books for the Kindle is idiot easy, and that fits a mass marketing profile.
You know I can read what you type! (I resemble that remark!)

JJ
Old 07-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #38
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Now if Amazon does this and makes a fortune I want everyone here to be my witness I thought of it FIRST!
JJ
There have been so many "Netflix" model type posts on the Amazon boards, that you'd have to get in line.

Clearly, since so many people are thinking about it, it's something Amazon should consider in the future. I will stay with the model they have now. I don't like being pressured to read something in a certain amount of time (I haven't used a library in years). I'm bad with my Netflix account because I'll hold on to a DVD for months until I'm in the mood to watch it. I really should cancel my account and just rent locally.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #39
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
There have been so many "Netflix" model type posts on the Amazon boards, that you'd have to get in line.

Clearly, since so many people are thinking about it, it's something Amazon should consider in the future. I will stay with the model they have now. I don't like being pressured to read something in a certain amount of time (I haven't used a library in years). I'm bad with my Netflix account because I'll hold on to a DVD for months until I'm in the mood to watch it. I really should cancel my account and just rent locally.
Yeah unfortunately I cant post to any of the Amazon boards because I havent made a purchase from them. As for the whole Netflix thing I think that is why I am going all digital when I get back, No more DVD/VHS whatever, I am going to rent via my computer and see how that goes. Nothing to take back or drop in the mail. Also I found a rather humorous take on the whole Kindle Numbers game.

JJ

http://nakedloon.com/sci-tech/2008/0...kindle-kindle/
Old 07-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #40
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Also I found a rather humorous take on the whole Kindle Numbers game.

JJ

http://nakedloon.com/sci-tech/2008/0...kindle-kindle/
Dude, you *are* late to the party!

Okay, now this is funny.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #41
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Dude, you *are* late to the party!

Okay, now this is funny.
I always thought fashionably late was a good thing? Must be the Time Zone difference!

JJ
Old 07-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #42
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Wrong.

People, where do you get off saying the Kindle is "Ugly"?? I think its beautiful. Sleek, and very intuitive to operate. I own one, bought it without having to "see it in person" because I watched the very informational video several times, and did research. I also had faith that I could get my money back if I weren't completely satisfied. Its done all that it promised. I imagine if you were rough with it the case/buttons could crack. It takes very little pressure to change pages navigate, etc. The size is important.....any bigger, and it would be much harder to slip into a purse. I don't want to carry around another contraption. You know what I think is "ugly"? People who can't see the beauty in a device that opens up so such a world of possibilities. There are lots of ebook readers out there. If you don't like the Kindle, its price, the way Amazon markets it, fine. Don't buy it. If you bought it and aren't satisifed return it. But stop whining! Amazon has a winner.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:04 AM   #43
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
People, where do you get off saying the Kindle is "Ugly"?? I think its beautiful. Sleek, and very intuitive to operate. I own one, bought it without having to "see it in person" because I watched the very informational video several times, and did research. I also had faith that I could get my money back if I weren't completely satisfied. Its done all that it promised. I imagine if you were rough with it the case/buttons could crack. It takes very little pressure to change pages navigate, etc. The size is important.....any bigger, and it would be much harder to slip into a purse. I don't want to carry around another contraption. You know what I think is "ugly"? People who can't see the beauty in a device that opens up so such a world of possibilities. There are lots of ebook readers out there. If you don't like the Kindle, its price, the way Amazon markets it, fine. Don't buy it. If you bought it and aren't satisifed return it. But stop whining! Amazon has a winner.
OK, Lets not get you Fired UP! Ugly may be to strong a word, I totally agree on paper I think the Kindle is the best thing going right now for some, What I find confusing is that if you look at all the devices that were on the Market before the Kindle for the most part they had the Same basic design (Very Smooth, Rounded edges, Grey/Black color scheme, Button Layout pretty much inline across the board.) Now I would have thought that Amazon would have taken note of this in their design process, But along comes Kindle very White and Wedge shaped, large buttons with questionable positioning (keyboard excluded). Now this may have been Amazon's attempt at going there own way to stand out amongst the competition. I mean that is why cars are designed different, I would never mistake a Toyota for a Chevy. But I have seen the PRS 505 hands on and up close, I think if I could see a Kindle I would have a better idea of the form and function. But again this is why we have a choice what some like others may not. And if one gets offended by another's opinion then Maybe we should keep them to ourselves. Happy Reading and if you feel like lending me your Kindle for a test drive I wouldn't be heart broke.

JJ
Old 07-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #44
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
. And if one gets offended by another's opinion then Maybe we should keep them to ourselves. Happy Reading and if you feel like lending me your Kindle for a test drive I wouldn't be heart broke.

JJ[/QUOTE
True. Funny you should say that. If you lived in Surprise Arizona, you could be meeting with me at the local Barnes and Noble along with three other groups of people, (two sets of couples, and a single guy). On the Amazon website, the 'see a kindle in your city' forum is just for that purpose. You post where you are. Others in your area who are interested contact you (I used a google mail address) and you arrange to meet.......hopefully in a busy place. Everyone has a good time and the Kindle sells itself. Just wish I had the knowledge of some of the people on here who really know how to use it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #45
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I believe JJ is in the military and stationed overseas out of the Kindle's reach (for now).

Tags
amazon kindle, analysts