Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
iPhone or Samsung Galaxy or ?

Ok, I'm trying to decide which smart phone would be best for me to get. What appeals to be about the iphone is all the free apps, but I know android has free apps as well. I don't really care if one camera is better than the other unless it's a huge difference. I'd be using the phone mainly for calling, texting, applications and games - providing the apps and games are free. So anyone own both? Is there one you'd recommend over the other? Does the android store have just as many free things as the apple store?

Thanks.

P.S. Open to other ideas as well.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Although not specifically related to ebook devices, I've moved this from General Discussions to this subforum as most closely associated with its content.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Only reason I didn't put it here was because it's not for ebooks but if mods want it here that's cool with me
Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it'll get better attention here, less distracted by other more "general" threads. Good for everyone.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
If you don't mind being locked in, there's no reason why you shouldn't pick either.

Personally, I wouldn't go for Apple, but that's because I don't like Apple's heavy handed censure (and I refuse to install itunes). But, if you don't care too much about that, I'd say go to a store and handle both. And then see which one works the best for you. They're both quality products.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I only have a Galaxy S but this being the Internet I still have an opinion

First off I don't know how the prices of new iPhones (4 or 4s) and Galaxies (S II) are in Australia, so I'll assume they're about the same. If one of them is considerably cheaper with comparable phone contracts it's probably not worth paying much more for the other one.

If you just want to use the Phone and are happy with the walled garden Apple provides I'd go with the iPhone. They still seem to provide the best easy to use experience. Also many companies still seem to release an iOS app first and Android later if at all.

If you'd like to be able to tinker with your Phone a bit (or much if you prefer) more then Android is the way to go. There's plenty of ROM's you can choose to use that offer more/different functions than the standard firmware provided by the manufacturers, xdadevelopers is a great side to read up on that.
You also have the ability to use other Appstores besides Google's Market, so you're not restricted to Apps Google approves of.

On Android there sure are many (free) Apps for almost everything so it's unlikely you'll really miss something that's available for iPhones. But I think that there are still more (good, but not necessary free) games for the iPhone, though I have to admit I'm not that interested in games besides the occasional puzzle/match three game to pass some waiting time.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I'm in the same dilemma. I love the simplicity on an iPhone and I'd love to be able to wait for iPhone 5, but my current one is long past 3 years and terribly laggy.

Agree with Sweetpea about how each phone handles. I tried my aunt's HTC Sensation and it was too big, and I have big hands.

Edited to say that I agree with Abtacha about any special need/want to 'customise' the phone's content and price point. If you just need a phone and the Apple app store is alright for you, then the iPhone would be decent. There are plenty of apps out there to play with.

Last edited by Ryvyan; 10-05-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love my Galaxy S and I also use it for reading. The AMOLED screen with gray text and black background works fine for that purpose. If you don't want to haul a 6" reader around with you the smartphone is your best friend...

Regarding apps, there are too many.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Okay another post. I thought the iPhone 4S is a bit of a let-down because of its exterior but then I watched this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf0Eg...layer_embedded

Damn the phone is decent. I don't fancy the exterior that much, but there are plenty of covers to go around!
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
Laura81
Addict

Thanks for the input! I guess I should just go to a store and handle both to see which I like better. I have used a friend's iphone and did like it, so a comparison with a galaxy would be good. I don't really want to tinker with my phone in terms of ROMS and such, hell I don't even know what those are, a program yes, but what they are for, no idea. I wouldn't use it instead of an ereader - I love dedicated ereaders too much and am in a position in my job where taking one with me is no hassle.

I'm interested in a 4s but think it will be beyond my price range. I'll end up getting a contract and those are normally two years here in Australia. The one for Iphone 4 currenty is $8 a month for the phone and $50 for service. Even that I find a bit ridiculous so I know the 4s probably won't happen. But maybe the 4 will drop to the monthly price of the 3gs which is only $40 a month, nothing for the phone. Will have to wait and see once the mobile companies here come up with some plans for the 4s. Currently they haven't.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
In my opinion, most of the better games and apps are not free. Most don't cost much, but they are still not free. Programmers have to make a living, too.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Ok, I'm trying to decide which smart phone would be best for me to get. What appeals to be about the iphone is all the free apps, but I know android has free apps as well. I don't really care if one camera is better than the other unless it's a huge difference. I'd be using the phone mainly for calling, texting, applications and games - providing the apps and games are free. So anyone own both? Is there one you'd recommend over the other? Does the android store have just as many free things as the apple store?

Thanks.

P.S. Open to other ideas as well.
The 4S really was Apple's initative to catch up the iPhone to the latest Android phones on hardware and features. I know a lot of folks are not happy with the 4S but the updates where really on the OS and the phone's internals(RAM, CPU). I think the 4S is now more on par with Android devices.

However if you are comparing the older model of the iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S II (SG2) there is no comparison. The SG2 is a much better phone.

On Apps there was a study a few months back that showed Android had more free apps than iOS. This is because many of the games that are "pay" on iOS are released free on Android because they come with ads.

Also Amazon's free app of the day usually releases apps and games for free as does "GetJar".

However as far as high end quality games iOS still is king here.

As for eBook readers Andriod apps tend to be better than iOS. Also if you prefer apps from Amazon or nook you can access their online stores directly from the app where as in the iOS you will have to go through iTunes or through the sites browser.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
The iPhone has a lot of great qualities, but "calling", i.e. phone call quality, has never been one of it's lauded features (at least here in the US). That is partially due to the carriers, but I've rarely read anyone rave about how great the call quality was

Not sure if other new smartphones do better on call quality, however-seems to be an afterthought now.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Laura81
Addict

Thanks all! Giving me things to think about which is good! Not thrilled that Apple make you have to go to itunes to do things. I hate itunes. I think Friday I will definitely have a hands on look at both phones. Ease of use is important to me as well. I have Android 2.2 on this netbook I use at work and can't figure out how to use it properly so I fear I would have the same troubles with Android phones.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I say wait until the Nexus Prime comes out before deciding which phone to get.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote