Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #46
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Different firmware version.
That *.0.1 is suppose to mean they fixed something very minor, but it could be they messed something else up at the same time.
It has been known to happen all too often.

If you can live with it, I would wait and see if Amazon rolls out a *.0.2 to fix the fix.
Oh well. As it happens I've just been reading why businesses shouldn't perfect things before releasing them, but it's a question I see from both sides!

I can live with it for now, it's far less bad that I have been living with for months and it isn't constant - it frees up and runs beautifully every so often but I can't work out what that correlates with. As long as they don't wait TOO long to fix the fix and as long as the fix fix doesn't unfix anything else

But thank you AGAIN - you have been very generous with your problem-solving time and I know more now than I was asking to begin with, which is always great.

Last edited by mand; 10-31-2016 at 12:34 PM.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #47
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You have figured out how to overfill bookcases. Please share the method as I am resorting to boxes to store extra books.

Hope you and your kindle get along soon.
My principal method is piling them horizontally, two (or three) deep, overlapping piles jigsaw-fashion where larger books meet smaller books - if the rear pile has smaller books at the top, the front one can have larger at the top so they "dovetail" ...

... after a while the middle of each shelf will sag, allowing one or perhaps two thinnish books to be slipped on top of the piles there ... then with the cheaper kind of bookcase, there's also the potential for the back to bend away from the shelves adding an inch (or even two at the centre) more depth ...

... and the little extra spaces can be used for miscellaneous useful-one-day items such as unidentified keys, anonymous plastic combs, a screw that must belong to something, a painted AD&D miniature that hasn't been decided about (whether to keep or not), and to keep with the books theme, your souvenir Bible inscribed on a grain of rice ...

... and of course any remaining airspace will still hold a good amount of dust and dog hairs. I have found it possible to overfill a bookcase to the point of not being able to add a biro lid.

I'm no expert, this is just from my personal experience, so I hope it's information you can use.
Advert
Old 11-02-2016, 06:02 AM   #48
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
By the way, can I assume this battery prefers to be overcharged, as I'm used to with the K3?
I don't think anyone noticed this side question - either that, or I didn't notice the answer. I still need to know, is it best to overcharge? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't think anyone noticed this side question - either that, or I didn't notice the answer. I still need to know, is it best to overcharge? Thanks!
I don't know what you mean by "overcharge". The charging circuit will cut out automatically when the battery is fully charged; you can't "overcharge" it. Don't leave it connected to the charger unnecessarily.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #50
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know what you mean by "overcharge". The charging circuit will cut out automatically when the battery is fully charged; you can't "overcharge" it. Don't leave it connected to the charger unnecessarily.
Oh, OK - that's different from what I understood before. So when the green light comes on, I should unplug ASAP. Is that purely to save mains power, or to protect the kindle's battery?

I was under the impression it's not only ok, but better, to leave it charging even when it's fully charged. (The first step of debricking is to charge for 2-3 days, for example.)

I don't know anything about batteries but I know this is the opposite of other rechargeable batteries such as in a laptop or camera. That's literally the extent of my knowledge, the chemistry side of why has never stuck when I've had it explained. Have I had this wrong all this time? Can't remember where I first read or heard it.
Advert
Old 11-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #51
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Oh, OK - that's different from what I understood before. So when the green light comes on, I should unplug ASAP. Is that purely to save mains power, or to protect the kindle's battery?

I was under the impression it's not only ok, but better, to leave it charging even when it's fully charged. (The first step of debricking is to charge for 2-3 days, for example.)

I don't know anything about batteries but I know this is the opposite of other rechargeable batteries such as in a laptop or camera. That's literally the extent of my knowledge, the chemistry side of why has never stuck when I've had it explained. Have I had this wrong all this time? Can't remember where I first read or heard it.
This topic comes up from time-to-time so here is a general run-down - - -

The Kindles use a fairly sophisticated battery management chip.

No way as sophisticated as that used in your electric car, but better than in the devices prior to touchscreen models.

There is a certain degree of dependence on properly running firmware.
And if the Kindle firmware is not running properly, then you have to assume that the battery management chip has fallen back to its 'safest' (minimum charge rate or off) mode(s).

That is why the first step of debricking is to put the device on a wall charger for a few days.
If in the 'safe' mode, it could take that long to recharge, otherwise it is in 'off' mode, and no harm will come to the battery.

Another reason is that there are some operational situations (specially on the older devices) that can appear to be "bricked" but the device is just too busy to be responsive.
There are situations like that which will 'fix itself' if kept on external power long enough.

On the devices prior to the touchscreen devices (the K4) leaving it on the charger will swell the battery - to the point that the screen cracks about mid-way.
Some tablets are that crude in their battery management (I have one, waiting for me to change the battery before the screen cracks).
Some laptops, in particular cheap ones, are the same.
On the other hand, some of the brands of net-tops (a small, low cost, laptop) have very good battery management.
I have some that have been plugged in for years (it is their normal condition - they are stationary) without harm to the battery.

On the KT running its most recent firmware and on all other touchscreen devices - -
There is no hurry to take it off the charger, as long as it is operating normally.
There is also no reason to leave it on the charger any longer than required to keep it at least 30% charged.

Last edited by knc1; 11-03-2016 at 09:34 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #52
mand
Zealot

Thank you - I followed that.

It's good to be told what to do with reasons, otherwise following advice isn't much different from following superstitions - because "someone said it was the right way".
Old 11-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #53
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur C. Clark
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
From Clarke's 1973 revision of "Hazards of Prophecy: The Failure of Imagination".

Quote:
Originally Posted by as found in: Wikipedia
Clarke gave an example of the third law when he said that while he "would have believed anyone who told him back in 1962 that there would one day exist a book-sized object capable of holding the content of an entire library, he would never have accepted that the same device could find a page or word in a second and then convert it into any typeface and size from Albertus Extra Bold to Zurich Calligraphic". . . .
So who really wants to disable the indexer? (referring to a recent thread here)
Or would like to see us drop support for the font add-in?

Last edited by knc1; 11-04-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:12 AM   #54
mand
Zealot

I just TODAY got an email from Amazon "Quick Start Guide for your Kindle"

[I]"Thank You for Purchasing a Kindle
You can set up your Kindle in just a few minutes by following the steps below..."
"What You'll Need..."
"Turn On Your Kindle..."
"Set Up Your Device
An on-screen guide will walk you through a quick setup process..."/I]

I ordered 24th October, it was delivered on the 26th.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #55
knc1
Going Viral

Usually an automated message to anyone who has not completed the setup.
Amazon is still bugging me about finishing the set-up on one of my DXG devices.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #56
mand
Zealot

I completed set-up as soon as I got it. Unless I'm not bona fide until I've connected with Facebook etc... which isn't going to happen.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #57
knc1
Going Viral

That might be - they don't think that your done until you have used all of the things that are enabled on a new device (which I have to disable when I get it).

Or maybe it is because I don't share my reading progress, notes, bookmarks, etc. with their data-mining computer.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:54 AM   #58
mand
Zealot

Yep, indeed.

Hrrmph.

Anyway, I've thought of another question. How long should indexing take? I had another look at items not yet indexed, and there were 18 - books, samples, documents - from up to 48 hours previously. Wifi has been on for a fair percentage of that time (I forgot to turn it off) and I've opened and have been reading some of these items. I would have thought indexing would only take minutes.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:13 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Indexing shouldn't take that long - it sounds as if one or more of the items has got stuck. Delete them and re-add them.

Indexing runs enormously faster when the Kindle is connected to a wall charger. It should take no more than 5 minutes to index even the longest book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #60
knc1
Going Viral

Use:
;dm
in the main searchbar -
see if the log mentions which book the indexer is working on, but not completing.

- - - -

But that is strange, the "new" indexer (somewhere around 5.5 - 5.6 IIRC) is much better than the one that gave so much trouble.

Tags
battery, hanging, hung, kindle 3, kt3 setup