Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Question Setting up new Kindle Touch; changeover from Kindle Keyboard

Continuation of this thread.

Last edited by issybird; 10-29-2016 at 01:40 PM.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Someone forgot to read step #7 of the JB.
You do not have to keep the kindle off-line to prevent OTA updates.
What is the JB? And who forgot to read step #7, Yourcat or me?

Quote:
That:
"VV to many car audio systems"
Is disturbing.

As if cell' 'phones did not by themselves up the "auto kill rate" enough, now will we have people blind to the world by being immersed in the book being read to them driving through crowds.

Yea Amazon - Always willing to sacrifice anything for a few more bucks.
No worse than listening to a book on CD or on the radio, I'd have thought.

As for all the rest of your post, you lost me completely. VoiceView and Bluetooth aren't of interest to me and the rest went straight over my head.

Anyway my new Kindle 8 got here today - didn't expect it so soon. Fun! I also didn't expect samples and personal documents to sync as well as bought books, so I haven't lost those. It's worse than that, I have everything I've ever sent to the old K3... 7,000+ items. Everything that used to be in Archived is there on the home screen. Yikes.

I can create a collection or delete it, and so I could recreate my collections from the K3 on the K8, and fill them with the same files, one by one, and then delete all files that aren't in any collection... one by one... doesn't bear thinking about.

I also haven't found out how to delete books. Deleting collections, but not books. It isn't in the User's Guide and doesn't seem to be on the website Help either, though the search function on the website isn't very useful.

This could be a long slow learning curve.

On the other hand I like the device physically, the font(s), etc and
Advert
Old 10-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
Keeping Kindle offline prevents downloading the interesting ads. It has nothing to do with JB (jailbreaking).
One can always use the USB port or bluetooth if available to transfer books.
To read web pages and to use the browser you really may want to JB it and adjust the local firewall to avoid access to the Amazon servers. This will prevent OTA updates but you can still update via USB.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
mand
Zealot

I use SendtoReader all the time, which zaps web pages direct to the device - USB isn't an option. I use my kindle to avoid reading long website pages as much as I use it for reading books. Besides, USB is that much more hassle. (So is JB!) £10 to avoid lots of hassle/time isn't a bad deal really.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
JB == Jail break
Yourcat

A long tap on the book's cover image.

Organize the books in a directories (under /documents) so that each represent a collection, then run LibrarianSync to put them all in the collections.
Oops -
You need the JB installed to do that, and you don't want to JB it.

The KT3, like the KT and the KT2, uses an IR scanning touch screen rather than the capacitive touch screen.
Which means you can use nearly anything for a stylus.
An eraser tipped pencil works well and the eraser will not harm the screen.
Just to keep from wearing out your finger tips, moving the books one at a time.

Oh...
They aren't all on your KT3, only the cover thumbnail.
Touch one, and the system will down load it (and give little, fine print, progress messages under the title).

So yes, you do want to have Wifi working.
You can still block updates with the special named directory in the top level of visible USB storage (see Step #7).
You do not have to be jail broken to use that.

If you want, if it isn't already running 5.8.5, you can manually download and install that (which can still be jail broken at a later time if you desire).

You are used to the unlighted screen on the K3, but you are correct, the KT3 unlighted screen is an improvement.
I have a K3 and a KT3 sitting next to each other as I write that.

The JB I am talking about is at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #6
mand
Zealot

Okay...

I just noticed this thread is in the developers' subforum, and I'm certain I only put it in the Kindle forum so that could be why I'm a bit out of my depth. (I know better than to go asking developers if a battery was sound.)

I'm assuming the thing you're calling KT3 is the thing I think of as the K8; and 'T' = touch.

I'll have a play with things to use as a stylus.

I won't need to block anything since I did buy the without-ads device.

The only problem with wifi is that I'm in a rural area so it's appallingly slow, and that's nothing to do with the kindle or any other hardware.

I imagine mine is already running 5.8.5 (presumably the latest all-singing all-dancing s/w?) since it's brand new...

Last night I did a bit of book-moving and got my head around the way the books aren't on the device itself, but can still be moved and put into collections. I like this, since they download pretty quickly when wanted, and Archived Items on the Keyboard was not useful because it ended up with so many items in it.

I am finding the new screen trickier in low light, because the grey on the e-paper is darker than before (comparing side by side) and text is also smaller which counters the improved font. But it's useable. I only had to give up on the titles on some book covers, but seeing the image isn't that important so when I have a choice I'm sticking with list view (which I imagine uses less memory too).

Of more concern, I'm seeing ghosting already. Right from the first. I didn't expect that. In your opinion is it worth having them change it for another?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

5.8.5 has the new, improved, settings menu - -
a world above the way it has been for years.
(and you will get an immediate chance to use it - just to turn on 'list view' again - don't give up - 5.8.5 will do 'list view').

There is a long time between being built in China and showing up on the "Amazon shelves".
So it most likely is not running the latest and greatest.

Go to your model's page on Amazon, get the current release and update your Kindle.

Not only will you be able to find your way around in the settings menu, but you will be able to build your collections using your desktop and the Amazon web-page for your device. (another 'new' thing).

Once you can find your way around the settings menu - there should be a "refresh on each page turn" option that should help reduce the ghosting.

If the font sizes on the AA menu does not have a selection you like -
We can check if the "FONT_RAMP" feature is still in 5.8.5 -
nobody has reported on that (yet).

Using the "FONT_RAMP" file does not require a jailbreak, it is a built-in (undocumented) feature of the Amazon firmware.
And will do no harm to try - it will either work or it will not.

If you still don't like the combinations -
You do have 30 days to change your mind and ask Amazon to exchange it for a lighted model.

Asking in the technical forum about the battery was the right thing to do.
Just don't get overwhelmed with the information offered.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
mand
Zealot

Quote:
5.8.5 has the new, improved, settings menu - -
a world above the way it has been for years.
(and you will get an immediate chance to use it - just to turn on 'list view' again - don't give up - 5.8.5 will do 'list view').

There is a long time between being built in China and showing up on the "Amazon shelves".
So it most likely is not running the latest and greatest.

Go to your model's page on Amazon, get the current release and update your Kindle.
It was running 5.8.2.1 - but now, 5.8.5.0.1. Thanks! I'd have assumed it updated automatically. Amazon Help says it does. And 'Update' was greyed out in the menu. The settings are indeed much fuller and at first glance look a lot better.

Quote:
Not only will you be able to find your way around in the settings menu, but you will be able to build your collections using your desktop and the Amazon web-page for your device. (another 'new' thing).
I have a feeling I was already (occasionally) moving files between collections on my desktop, even with the Keyboard, or if I never did, I'd thought of it.

Quote:
Once you can find your way around the settings menu - there should be a "refresh on each page turn" option that should help reduce the ghosting.
That was there with 5.8.2, but I didn't turn it on. I have now so will find out tonight whether it helps, and whether it slows page-turns down.

Quote:
If the font sizes on the AA menu does not have a selection you like -
We can check if the "FONT_RAMP" feature is still in 5.8.5 -
nobody has reported on that (yet).

Using the "FONT_RAMP" file does not require a jailbreak, it is a built-in (undocumented) feature of the Amazon firmware.
And will do no harm to try - it will either work or it will not.

If you still don't like the combinations -
You do have 30 days to change your mind and ask Amazon to exchange it for a lighted model.
If I want to use FONT_RAMP, I'll report back.

Asking in the technical forum about the battery was the right thing to do.
Just don't get overwhelmed with the information offered. [/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm more likely to get distracted by all the information - in fact I would love to follow up every little term that gets mentioned and find out about them all, and learnlearnlearnlearn ... but I'm being VERY disciplined about the time I spend playing here. Not like me at all!

You have been really helpful (and patient) so thank you very much. I feel that I'm sorted now, and also have a couple of maybe-tweaks if I want them.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
That was there with 5.8.2, but I didn't turn it on. I have now so will find out tonight whether it helps, and whether it slows page-turns down.
And it did! I'd rather live with the ghosting.

Well, something slowed it down. Switching off page refresh hasn't helped. Is slowness a function of how many collections I've made? That's what I thought I observed with the old K3. Today the new K8 (or whatever you call it) is just as slow as the old one ever was. When viewing items anyway, absolutely fine while reading and turning the page or whatever.

When on the home screen, not only page turns but also opening and closing any menu - for example to change sort order or select add to collection, etc - is horrendously slow. Almost every time, it doesn't redraw until I tap something else.

I was forgetting I'm jinxed with anything that contains a computer chip. Things go slow and get their knickers in a twist if I so much as breathe on them.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds as if something may have got stuck indexing. Have you checked?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
mand
Zealot

How do I check, Harry?
Old 10-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Home page, search function, search for:
;dm
The semi-colon is part of the command.

That will dump four message logs as documents onto the device.

Read them, or zip them up and attach to your next post and someone here will read them.

If reading them yourself, you will be looking for messages with 'index...' in them.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
mand
Zealot

OK... I will do this tomorrow, as I'm about to go to bed. Will the four files be in the home screen or do I need to connect to laptop?
Old 10-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
OK... I will do this tomorrow, as I'm about to go to bed. Will the four files be in the home screen or do I need to connect to laptop?
home screen, but you will have to connect to laptop to get them posted here.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:30 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
How do I check, Harry?
Go to the home screen and search for a nonsense string. On the search results page, go to the "Text in Books" tab and see if it says "XX books not yet indexed" (where "XX" is a number).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, hanging, hung, kindle 3, kt3 setup