Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
vasselmeyer
vasselmeyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Private mobi files on Kindle

All, I have had a good look at the forums and I can't see a definitive answer to my question. I hope you helpful people can assist. Here's the situation:

I am in the process of finalising a new textbook which I hope to publish soon. I wish to give copies of the pre-release file to a number of Kindle users for their comments and feedback. I understand that the book which is in .mobi format can be copied to their Kindle devices via USB.

However, I understand that the Kindle purchasing system is cloud-based and copies data on the Kindle back to the Amazon "cloud" using a system called "WhisperSync". Until I have finalised my contracts with the publisher of my choice, I do not want my pre-release book to be sent anywhere. It must remain on the device.

Questions:
Is there a specific directory on the Kindle where I can put the .mobi file which will avoid it being synchronised?
Is there some field or flag that I can set on the the mobi files to ensure they stay locally and are not sent back to Amazon?
Even though the file might not be sent back to Amazon, will the title of the publication be registered anywhere in their system?

Thanks in advance.
vasselmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
It's not a current Amazon book so there's no danger in it being synced to Amazon. No worries.

Welcome, by the way.

Last edited by TimW; 08-02-2011 at 08:40 AM.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't worry about it. Synching only occurs with files bought from Amazon. They neither know nor care anything else people might put on their Kindles.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
vasselmeyer

Wow! That was quick. Thank you very much indeed for your prompt responses.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
However, I understand that the Kindle purchasing system is cloud-based and copies data on the Kindle back to the Amazon "cloud" using a system called "WhisperSync". Until I have finalised my contracts with the publisher of my choice, I do not want my pre-release book to be sent anywhere. It must remain on the device.
No worries there. You're a little confused on the specific details of Whispersync and what gets "copied," (nothing actually gets "copied back" to Amazon other than books marks, annotations and furthest read pages) but suffice to say that it only pertains to content that was purchased through Amazon. Side-loaded personal documents (whether they are mobi's or whatever) are not "copied back" to Amazon (again NO book is ever copied back to Amazon). Worst case scenario is that the notes that someone takes on your book may get copied to Amazon servers—if they are configured to back up their annotations.

Whispersync doesn't do what a lot of people think it does.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
vasselmeyer

Of course. That was silly of me, I hadn't really thought about it. If they already have the books why would they copy them back again? If user has to get another Kindle (or presumably several Kindles linked to the same account) then Amazon will just send the books again along with any annotations or other files specific to that user.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If user has to get another Kindle (or presumably several Kindles linked to the same account) then Amazon will just send the books again along with any annotations or other files specific to that user.
Actually it's even simpler than that. Whispersync does not synchronize "content" between devices/apps at all. It just synchronizes the list (archive) of available Amazon purchases to each device/app, but the end user must still decide—book-by-book—which ones they want on which device/app. If they have decided to download a book to that particular device/app, then the annotations, bookmarks, and reading positions will naturally follow. There is no process that ensures that the exact same content appears automatically on very device/app registered to the same account.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Keep in mind that if you distribute non-DRMed mobi files to people they could copy them and give them to others. I only mention this because you seemed concerned about unauthorized copies of your book winding up on Amazon's Whispersync servers. Non-DRMed mobi books can easily be distributed without your authorization, so be cautious.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:40 AM   #9
vasselmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Keep in mind that if you distribute non-DRMed mobi files to people they could copy them and give them to others. I only mention this because you seemed concerned about unauthorized copies of your book winding up on Amazon's Whispersync servers. Non-DRMed mobi books can easily be distributed without your authorization, so be cautious.
Thanks for the advice. I trust the people to whom I will give the book. They are doing an informal peer review so I have no worries that the book will be copied.

I am undecided on DRM. Personally, I loathe it. I believe that the only people it actually affects are the users. Some companies seem to get it right and it is as unobtrusive as possible. Valve (with their Steam platform) and Amazon are good examples. However, it might be that I have little choice on whether DRM is applied when I actually submit the book for final publication.

Last edited by vasselmeyer; 08-06-2011 at 03:46 AM.