Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-19-2023, 09:53 PM   #1
bo0p
bo0p began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle 3
Question Help installing KOReader on Kindle 3 Keyboard

Hello, I believe I've already jailbroken my Kindle 3 (wifi only) since I was able to (at least I think) install KUAL and the MRPI. The kindle is currently running 3.4.3. I've followed the github instructions on how to install KOReader but somehow it doesn't show up in my KUAL. I've tried adding the folder in the root of my Kindle and I've even tried adding it to the documents folder. I also tried adding it to the mrpackages folder. But whenever I open KUAL on my kindle, it says that there are no extensions. I've also tried restarting each time I add the folder but I'm still not seeing it.

I downloaded the KOReader "Lavender" package (specifically kindle legacy version).

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this thread and TIA!

Here are some pics showing what KUAL and the MRPI looks like on my kindle even after adding the KOReader download:

https://pasteboard.co/KtweBmgD7HFI.jpg
https://pasteboard.co/oFOsnnjqZ8QF.jpg
bo0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:15 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Ought to be unpacked at the root folder visible over USB. Definitely *not* documents.

A screenshot of your host PC's filemanager on the root would be helpful. And, if it's a Mac, beware of Safari/Finder screwing with archives behind your back.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:18 PM   #3
bo0p

oh wow thank you for the reply!! i've actually followed your jailbreak and ss hack and it worked well! i actually uninstalled KUAL (and associated downloads) it all last night, let me reinstall it all quickly! and i am using a mac

thank you again!!!!
Old 09-20-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
bo0p

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Ought to be unpacked at the root folder visible over USB. Definitely *not* documents.

A screenshot of your host PC's filemanager on the root would be helpful. And, if it's a Mac, beware of Safari/Finder screwing with archives behind your back.
ooof i guess i read the instructions wrong because i thought i could add it in documents: https://pasteboard.co/b1d7xexJd17W.png

but i went ahead and added the mmk zip before doing the KUAL download and then updated my kindle
https://pasteboard.co/zfuO3qtKolBQ.png

added the KUAL download in the documents folder
https://pasteboard.co/EJyiuRntNXm9.png

then reset my kindle

this is what it looks like when i open KUAL
https://pasteboard.co/4WI9rItA0jDR.jpg

then i went and downloaded the KOReader zip and unzipped in my kindle
https://pasteboard.co/jDbeQsibFkIc.png

then reset my kindle again

but unfortunately when i open KUAL, i'm not seeing KOReader on there. i do see the screen saver hack.

i skipped reinstalling the MRPI this time around too. thank you again for even taking a look!
Old 09-21-2023, 12:01 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
And, if it's a Mac, beware of Safari/Finder screwing with archives behind your back
My crystal ball was on fire \o/!

Yes, your OS is screwing with you; to make things clearer, don't do anything from inside the device mount itself, just unpack the zip in Downloads or whatever, and the copy the *contents* of that inane top-level directory named after the zip that Finder created out of nowhere (to the root of the device volume). IIRC, that should essentially be two folders, one named koreader and one named extensions.

(Also, stop messing with MKK/KUAL; you've got KUAL running, so that's done).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 04:24 PM   #6
bo0p

welp, i did try unpacking the koreader zip in another folder. i copied and pasted the koreader and extensions folder in my kindle. i went ahead and restarted my device. but i'm still not seeing it on my kindle UI.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:58 PM   #7
Respektor
Respektor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 4th Gen
Quote:
My crystal ball was on fire \o/!

Yes, your OS is screwing with you; to make things clearer, don't do anything from inside the device mount itself, just unpack the zip in Downloads or whatever, and the copy the *contents* of that inane top-level directory named after the zip that Finder created out of nowhere (to the root of the device volume). IIRC, that should essentially be two folders, one named koreader and one named extensions.

(Also, stop messing with MKK/KUAL; you've got KUAL running, so that's done).
What if there's already a folder named extensions that has "KUAL.cfg" in it.
Respektor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, kindle 3, koreader