Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Old 07-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #16
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Haa, english is kind of ambiguous. so many angles to look at.

Frys is happily excited to make all its customers unhappy, forcing most of its customers to come down and visit their store in hope that when customer visit their store, they would buy other stuffs too.
You're right, there is a context where it makes sense, but I don't believe that "happily excited" was the intended meaning of the OP.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
gen
Enthusiast
gen began at the beginning.

Device: 200LX
Its ambiguous, therefore the 1st moderator was asking the OP his intended meaning.

Cheers
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Some weeks ago another MobileRead member told me:
Quote:
what we speak here isn't English by any measure, it's globish! & that's perfect!
I think he was right. A lot of people from all around the world are frequenting this forum. Wouldn't it be wise to take care of what words and expressions we use here, especially if we consider using unconventional or ambiguous expressions?

So many different people, languages, dialects...we shouldn't make it more complicated than necessary.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #19
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Mi pensas nin sole uzus Esperanton
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #20
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Mi pensas nin sole uzus Esperanton
Unfortunately too few people know esperanto. Hence it wouldn't be the best choice.
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K03AK View Post
I do apologize for my language. It is just I waited for this deal for two weeks and it was the first thing I checked this morning when I woke up. I was looking towards getting a reader for such a long time and this seemed like an awesome opportunity. I know this is not Astak's fault but just the way Frys sells this item.
It is Astak's fault. They are not insisting that Fry's sell the EZ Reader online or they are not pulling the EZ Reader from Fry's in favor of a store that will sell to customers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #22
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is Astak's fault. They are not insisting that Fry's sell the EZ Reader online or they are not pulling the EZ Reader from Fry's in favor of a store that will sell to customers.
I honestly don't see how it could be Astak's fault.

Fry's sells a lot of EZReaders in the store. Astak would hurt if they threatened to pull the EZReader unless Fry's agreed to sell/ship it online. They have no control over Fry's business plan.

Does it hurt Astak that they are losing some sales via Fry's online? Yes, of course. But it would hurt even more by not having the Fry's stores sales.

The fact that Fry's refuses to sell/ship the EZReader online is the fault of only Fry's, not of Astak.

As far as this Holiday Rebate...a couple factors...

1. The fact that Fry's raised the prices before the 30 dollar rebate.

2. Fry's storefronts staffs lack of knowledge about the $30 rebate.

Robert simple told us what the extra savings would be according to Fry's current trend of EZReader pricing.

Fry's dropped the ball on this one, big time.

This may have been a semi-last-minute sale proposal between Fry's and Astak, regardless, a lot of EZReaders have possibly missed being sold because of miscommunications.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
I think he was right. A lot of people from all around the world are frequenting this forum. Wouldn't it be wise to take care of what words and expressions we use here, especially if we consider using unconventional or ambiguous expressions?
Well, no since you can never know what these expressions are. The correct solution is that people are more tolerant. Which also give people the opportunity to learn about different usage.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #24
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, no since you can never know what these expressions are.
I disagree. You can't know it in every case but one shouldn't use expressions without having knowledge of their meaning.

Quote:
The correct solution is that people are more tolerant.
I would appreciate if people would be more tolerant sometimes but nethertheless some expressions can't be tolerated in a public forum like MobileRead.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I disagree. You can't know it in every case but one shouldn't use expressions without having knowledge of their meaning.
You can now the meaning were you live but you want to forbid people to use a word if they do not know the meaning all over the world for it. This is stupid. You learn these kind of different meanings reading forums like this. But if we have a language police then we will not get that advantage.

Quote:
I would appreciate if people would be more tolerant sometimes but nethertheless some expressions can't be tolerated in a public forum like MobileRead.
Please make a list of the expression so we know what to avoid. The removing of gay in this thread was totally ridiculous and I would never have guessed that it was not allowed.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #26
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
You can now the meaning were you live but you want to forbid people to use a word if they do not know the meaning all over the world for it. This is stupid. You learn these kind of different meanings reading forums like this. But if we have a language police then we will not get that advantage.
Tompe, there is a huge difference between forbidding something and asking people to take care of the expression they are using here.

Quote:
Please make a list of the expression so we know what to avoid.
I will not even consider that. Such a list would be too close to censorship.

Quote:
The removing of gay in this thread was totally ridiculous and I would never have guessed that it was not allowed.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #27
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
.... nethertheless some expressions can't be tolerated in a public forum like MobileRead.
Agreed, and that is why we have moderators, who (apparently) ask the OP what they mean or take action (like deleting) offencive words......

Looks like "FRY'S" may become one of 'those' words soon...

Mountains and otter-hills (or damns)
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #28
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Well, no since you can never know what these expressions are. The correct solution is that people are more tolerant. Which also give people the opportunity to learn about different usage.
Wow I know this is off topic and I don't normally get involved in debates such as this but I just have to jump in in support of this statement. Different words have different meanings in different countries,they can even have different meanings in different parts of the same country, this is just a fact of life.

I will explain and hope this doesn't get censored as it is edumacational

For instance:

In the UK we all use the word "damn" in normal conversation it is in no way considered a swear word, however in the US it is. In a similar vein you cannot use the word "fag" in a conversation in the US however in the UK it means cigarette and is used daily.

In the UK "shag" means to fornicate whereas I believe in the US it's a kind of dance.

On the topic of different words meaning different things even in the same country in the UK the word "twat" means idiot in Birmingham and most of the West Midlands however apparently (I only found this out accidentaly when my Aunt told one of the children she was teaching to "stop being such a twat" and was pulled up in front of the Headteacher over it to explain herself) in most of the rest of the country it means female genitalia and is considered a bad word. I would probably even go so far as to say to the rest of the world it's not even a word they would recognise and certainly would not recognise as a bad word so probably wouldn't be censored on this board.

There are certain words which should never be used in polite conversation/debate, that goes without saying however censoring certain words because they "might" offend a certain group is quite frankly ridiculous especially the one in this thread. Two of my best friends are gay and they use "such and such is gay" or "well that's just gay" all the time or is this another one of those stupid cases where they're apparently allowed because they are of said persuausion? Is this another case like the "N" word (I won't use it because rightly or wrongly I will get shouted at for that one) and black people, they're allowed to use it but we're not? Another case of Political Correctness gone mad.

I find not being able to use certain words to be offensive but no one cares about my wishes because I'm not in a minority group <tongue in cheek>

I respect that lines have to be drawn somewhere and the moderators do a thankless and difficult job I just think that censoring the word "gay" in what-ever connotation it is used is taking things a little bit too far over said line.

Just my two pence worth and back to the original thread...

Last edited by Mnementh; 07-09-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #29
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I concur. I also do not 'truly' understand the black race's stance against the 'N" word, in the vein of which race can say the word, not the connotation of such word.

It used to be a derogatory term, but the black culture, namely the rap culture, have embraced it and use it profusely in their songs. I find it literally horendous that a word that can be freely played on the radio can not be spoken aloud in public by any citizen 'not' of that heritage.

Let's go back further back in history. The term "Jew" used to be a slanderous term for Judean. Jesus Christ was Judean, not Jewish. The modern day Jewish sect came down from the Khazars and settled in the Arab area, and adopted the Jewish religion. At any rate, that's a long story in itself and could strike a hearty debate. Nevertheless, the Jews took the sladerous name and embraced it, the same as the black race and the 'N' word.

However, anyone can say "Jew", but not everyone can say "N...". I don't really see this changing anytime soon. And it has nothing to do with the black race or the white race. And that, my friends, is what is truly sad.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote