Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
How do you do this and what is the cost?

During this search I have been doing I read mostly how the government reads your emails and how google takes words from your private emails for searches, etc. etc.

But I am mostly concerned with hacking my email account. And how Yahoo & Google keeps making me come up with stupid questions or mobile numbers or other hoops to jump through just to get on to my email.
Write them down. Make a file on your computer with the domain/email address/questions-answers
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Write them down. Make a file on your computer with the domain/email address/questions-answers
I'd recommend a paper version instead, if you're going to do that. Your computer might get hacked remotely. Physical access to a paper version is a lot easier for you to control.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I have a hardcopy like that that I keep it taped to the bottom of the right-hand desk drawer in my off-- wait... what? No I don't. What was I thinking? That was someone else who does that.
Spoiler:
These aren't the 'droids you're looking for
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'd recommend a paper version instead, if you're going to do that. Your computer might get hacked remotely. Physical access to a paper version is a lot easier for you to control.
And easier to lose or be destroyed.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I have a hardcopy like that that I keep it taped to the bottom of the right-hand desk drawer in my off-- wait... what? No I don't. What was I thinking? That was someone else who does that.
Spoiler:
These aren't the 'droids you're looking for
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #36
kennyc

There are also things like KeePass that stores your info encrypted and works on multiple types of devices.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #37
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Keep a paper version in a safe deposit box.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only time Gmail contact you (in my experience) is if you try to log in from an IP address which is wildly different from where their records show you normally access the system from, and that's an exceptionally good security measure, IMHO. Eg, when I visited the US recently, and tried to collect email from my gmail account from my iPhone, Gmail blocked access and sent me a text message warning me of a possible hacking attempt. I simply had to go to the URL in the text message and manually log on to confirm that this was a legitimate access attempt, and subsequently I accessed from many different places in the US without problems.

I'm thankful for these security measures, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The only time Gmail contact you (in my experience) is if you try to log in from an IP address which is wildly different from where their records show you normally access the system from, and that's an exceptionally good security measure, IMHO. Eg, when I visited the US recently, and tried to collect email from my gmail account from my iPhone, Gmail blocked access and sent me a text message warning me of a possible hacking attempt. I simply had to go to the URL in the text message and manually log on to confirm that this was a legitimate access attempt, and subsequently I accessed from many different places in the US without problems.

I'm perfectly fine with the security measures, too. I just hope they're not completely dependent on being able to recieve a text message before restoring access. Surely they have an alternate method to restore access in such situations?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm perfectly fine with the security measures, too. I just hope they're not completely dependent on being able to recieve a text message before restoring access. Surely they have an alternate method to restore access in such situations?
Yes, they also send an email to your "alternate contact" email address.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #41
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
One program that is very useful for email and firefox browser backup is mozbackup. That way even if the ISP dies, you still have your mail.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #42
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:

Well, this security measure bothers me tremendously while travelling. I was in New Delhi this week and then the excact thing happened to me. Being with sketchy wifi, as one often is while travelling in foreign parts, it is difficult to even access the url Google send me and clarify things. I had the same experience in Uzbekistan, Central Asia earlier this year.
Does Google wants me to send them my travelplans in advance or what?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #43
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Well, this security measure bothers me tremendously while travelling. I was in New Delhi this week and then the excact thing happened to me. Being with sketchy wifi, as one often is while travelling in foreign parts, it is difficult to even access the url Google send me and clarify things. I had the same experience in Uzbekistan, Central Asia earlier this year.
Does Google wants me to send them my travelplans in advance or what?
Yes send Google your plans they are that noisy. I feel your pain. All you want to do is access your email.

I do write down passwords, that is the kicker. I know my password. They decided, Yahoo, to freeze the email and because it is so old of an account my contact email address no longer exists, Eudora email. Don't remember the stupid answer to a question either. Who does?

They make your email so secure that you can't even use it
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #44
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Yes, they also send an email to your "alternate contact" email address.
Yahoo does the alternate contact (which no longer exists in my case) and your silly question.

Google does mobile phone, and I don't want that either.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
You also can generate backup codes with gmail in case you get locked out after you turn on 2 step verification. I highly recommend every one do this. I've had my gmail account hacked a couple of Christmases ago and I am very impressed with the charges in security they've taken since then.

I recommend keeping your passwords on a encrypted thumb drive in a security box and update it as needed. I wont tell you where else I keep them but keeping them on your PC is probably not a good idea in case of hard drive failure.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote