Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
New survey for Harry Potter books on Pottermore Insider

A survey was put up on the Pottermore Insider site querying readers for their interest in buying the Harry Potter books in eBook form. It asks things like what books would you buy, what do you read them on and where do you buy your eBooks. The survey doesn't require any sort of registration.

It's over here: http://insider.pottermore.com

Quote:
While many of you are aware that we’re busy improving and developing the Pottermore experience, you might also be interested to know that we’re hard at work preparing the Pottermore Shop, too.

We know that a lot of people are excited about being able to buy the Harry Potter eBooks for the first time. If you’re a Harry Potter fan or reader who is interested in buying eBooks either for yourself or someone else, we’d really appreciate you taking part in our reading survey. You don’t have to be a Pottermore Beta user but if you’re interested in Harry Potter, reading or eBooks in general, we’d really like your feedback.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Yay! Thanks for posting that. I go to the Pottermore site every now & then to see what's happening but I've been doing it less and less. It's been too disappointing. I want the dang books! It's so much easier carrying them in a small 6oz device than 7 tomes.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
You're welcome.

I keep going back to Pottermore too. I don't know how long this survey has been posted but it seems like a hopeful sign that they might be getting ready to start selling the eBooks.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's about time they get moving with the ebooks of HP.
In my opinion they are coming far too late for their own good. How long does it take to create an ebook or a website for that matter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
You're welcome.

I keep going back to Pottermore too. I don't know how long this survey has been posted but it seems like a hopeful sign that they might be getting ready to start selling the eBooks.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I dunno, being one of the only Potter fans who didn't seem to get into the beta, I'm a little annoyed with Pottermore and its Insider right now. Being told the release is being delayed indefinitely and then seeing them post a "best of fanart" makes you want to go over there and give someone a piece of your mind.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
That was pretty stupid decision to postpone the ebook releases until after Christmas and after the final movie was released. They were set to make much more money with a 2011 x-mas release than they possibly can at any other date.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I haven't understood their thinking on this Pottermore site. They did miss the boat I believe on a bigger 2011. I agree with a previous poster - how long does it take to get a site up and the ebooks out with the resources that they have. Plus, where is that supposed Sony T1 Pottermore reader? Haven't heard anything of that lately. I would have bought one. Instead, I just bought a regular T1. Nothing is worse than setting a date for a release and then moving it back. It creates sales for others that will never get recovered.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I filled out the survey. I also wish they wouldn't have delayed the release of the ebooks.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I dunno, being one of the only Potter fans who didn't seem to get into the beta, I'm a little annoyed with Pottermore and its Insider right now. Being told the release is being delayed indefinitely and then seeing them post a "best of fanart" makes you want to go over there and give someone a piece of your mind.

You're hardly one of the 'only' ones who didn't get in. There are millions of people who didn't get in. Including me. I listen to several Potter podcasts and people are fuming about the site itself not being up and running for both the site itself and those who just want to buy the danged books!!

They planned for 1 million beta testers. Logically, that means they expect traffic flow of 1 million people and they can handle that which would be the whole purpose in limiting the number of members right? Wrong! They've only got somewhere between 300,000 and 600,000 users not nearly the 1 million and they can't handle that. Servers keep crashing and all kinds of nonsense.

IMO somebody should be fired for that. They look like newbies. She & those involved in all aspects of Potter have boatloads of money. There should be no reason that the site doesn't work and fails because of server overload. Hire the right people. Buy the right equipment and get it done properly. They look utterly foolish at the moment and they dragged Sony along with them by promising the Potter reader. Ooops! Sorry, nevermind. Bad bad bad!

And that doesn't even begin to cover the missing the Christmas market discussion.

Oh and they never said the store was post-poned indefinitely either. They said it would open sometime in the first half of 2012.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I haven't understood their thinking on this Pottermore site. They did miss the boat I believe on a bigger 2011. I agree with a previous poster - how long does it take to get a site up and the ebooks out with the resources that they have. Plus, where is that supposed Sony T1 Pottermore reader? Haven't heard anything of that lately. I would have bought one. Instead, I just bought a regular T1. Nothing is worse than setting a date for a release and then moving it back. It creates sales for others that will never get recovered.
I saw a news article that said Pottermore yanked the release back because the website was "too busy" (the wand dueling game was mentioned) and that they were focusing on fixing the site up. There was... a surprising amount of fan-blaming in the article, but that may have been added by the article writer, not the Pottermore people.

I think the whole thing is so ridiculous, and isn't it all going to charity supposedly? So all the delays are really that much worse in my mind.

I did take the survey though. No idea what it will accomplish -- are they open to being sold at Amazon et al. now? Because I would be in favor of that, but I'd thought that was 'off the table' because Pottermore wanted their Special Snowflake DRM on the books.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
They planned for 1 million beta testers. Logically, that means they expect traffic flow of 1 million people and they can handle that which would be the whole purpose in limiting the number of members right? Wrong! They've only got somewhere between 300,000 and 600,000 users not nearly the 1 million and they can't handle that. Servers keep crashing and all kinds of nonsense.

IMO somebody should be fired for that. They look like newbies.
Heh. It's almost like being a best-selling author doesn't automatically make you (or your publicity team) know jack about websites, ebook formats, eReaders, etc.

We could have all told them that a few months ago...
Old 12-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

No it's not going to charity. The Pottermore site was done by Jo as a thank you to her fans. It's non-fee. The only thing that costs money would be the stuff in the store like the ebooks and audiobooks. I don't know if they plan on selling anything else though.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
No it's not going to charity. The Pottermore site was done by Jo as a thank you to her fans. It's non-fee. The only thing that costs money would be the stuff in the store like the ebooks and audiobooks. I don't know if they plan on selling anything else though.
I mean the books. I thought awhile back the story was floating around that all ebook profits were going to charity. No idea if it's true.

I realize the website isn't charging people to get in.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

I don't think I've ever heard them mention that on any of the podcasts or in the beginning. I think it's doubtful that the sales of the ebooks & audiobooks would be going to charity. There's too much money involved. A whole new generation of readers will want them in ebook format.

Obviously I could be wrong but I don't think the money is going to charity.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #15
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I saw a news article that said Pottermore yanked the release back because the website was "too busy" (the wand dueling game was mentioned) and that they were focusing on fixing the site up. There was... a surprising amount of fan-blaming in the article, but that may have been added by the article writer, not the Pottermore people.
None of that excuses them going on a fanart posting spree. That was just insulting, and suggests that they don't really care about anyone who's waiting to sign up.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote