Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
ePub to mobi cover page problem

I'm converting some books from Word to ebooks, by firstly making a valid ePub version and then converting it to mobi with calibre.

Thanks to help on the forum I now know how to avoid having two covers appear. But a problem remains in that when the Kindle ebook is first opened the cover page does not appear as the first page. The cover page is an item in the TOC, and I've set calibre to add a TOC. The cover page is there; it can be called from the TOC.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get the cover page to appear when the Kindle ebook is first opened?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The Kindle does not support the cover being opened as the first page. This is a limitation of the Kindle firmware and only Amazon could change it.

Whether you could fool it by simply embedding the cover as an image at the beginning and not marking it as a cover I am not sure.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, itimpi.

I couldn't believe what you wrote, so I tried to open some books from the Kindle store, and of course you are correct. I wonder what on earth their reason might be.

Regards, Alex
Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I couldn't believe what you wrote, so I tried to open some books from the Kindle store, and of course you are correct. I wonder what on earth their reason might be.
Amazon recommend that Kindle ebooks initially open to the start of the actual text of the book, not to the title page or other frontmatter.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

I'm still fussing about trying to get ePub to mobi conversions showing the cover page as the first page when a Kindle ebook is opened. I still can't believe that Kindle deliberately chooses to bypass the cover page, for three reasons:
- At least one of the Kindle ebooks I opened did open at the cover
- If one forgets to tell calibre to delete the second cover graphic when one is converting from ePub to mobi and one gets two covers then the ebook does open at the cover page - and of course shows the the other cover graphic next.
- There is a section in the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines (p9-10) about cover image guidelines. Unfortunately I can't understand it at all.

I have attached the content.opf file from a poetry book I'm working on. Could some kind soul please look at it and tell me what to insert into the content.opf file to have a chance to get a Kindle ebook to open at the cover page?

The other idea I've had is to deliberately make the cover image in the ePub version a small image, and rely on the second image produced by Calibre to be the cover image. As I mentioned earlier the ebook will open at that image, and then show the smaller XHTML cover.

Of course I'd need to do another ePub version later with a full sized cover, but it would be worth the effort.

Thanks in advance, Alex
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (2.2 KB, 445 views)
Advert