Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #166
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Absolutely no way to predict.
With the posted description of how to start the full featured u-boot recently, I can make a prediction now>
RSN
Whenever someone who has the device and serial port access writes up the procedure (I don't own a Kpw, so I can't do that).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #167
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Another small release, Python 0.2.N, ScreenSavers 0.5.N. Updated binaries (updated toolchain), and some minor tweaks to the cover mode.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #168
DevilCat666
DevilCat666 began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilCat666 View Post
OK I went for it.

All perfect :-) You're a start @NiLuJe
star not *start* !
DevilCat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #169
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Just wondering if anyone has a set of the original screensavers?
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #170
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@PharaohsVizier: They're backed up by the hack in the linkss/backups folder.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #171
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Well, I swear I'm jailbroken and everything is installed according to plan, but nothing seems to have happened after the initial creation of files in my user partition. It's still just showing the default screensavers no matter what I do.
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #172
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@awh_tokyo: Check the logs (look for 'linkss'). It disables itself if the setup isn't sane.

If you don't find *any* mention of linkss in the logs, then it's not installed .
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #173
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast

[root@kindle log]# grep linkss /var/log/messages
121119:104828 system: I linkss:start::linkss is disabled

Hmm...
Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #174
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@azh_tokyo: Either it really is disabled (no linkss/auto file), or the linkss folder is incomplete (missing/corrupt/incomplete).
Old 11-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #175
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast

Hmm, if I ssh in and do

stop linkss
start linkss

It works correctly. Is there any chance that there's a timing issue and that it tries to run at boot time before /mnt/us is there?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #176
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@azh_tokyo : Not on a sane system, no. It's started really late in the boot process, at a point where if the userstore isn't up, then you have bigger problems ;-).
Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #177
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast

Well, I have no idea why, but it works every time now, even through multiple reboots. Guess my system was still a bit hosed from the weekend spent bringing it back from the 5.3.0 upgrade.

Thanks for the great hack!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #178
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
@NiLuJe

thank you for your detailed reply. now i understand how the cover view works, i think . let's see if i got it right:

1. if there's a cover in a mobi file, it's added when the file is created.

2. Calibre can add a cover to a mobi file, but this will not be bundled into the file and will not overwrite the original cover. Kindle will use it as the cover, but this Calibre created cover may not be seen in other e-reader such as mobipocket reader.

3. JBPatch uses the thumbnails for it's cover view.

a few questions, which folder are the thumbnails stored? are they in a viewable format?

when i tried out the "last thing" mode, i encountered a small problem. it seemed that the "last thing" screensaver was very "stubborn". i changed to "cover" mode and rebooted my KT, but the "last thing" screensaver was still there. i even deleted the png file in the screensavers folder, but still couldn't get rid of it. it was only after switching to different covers a few times that i was finally able to activate the "cover" mode.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #179
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@yiming:

1/ When which file is created? If there's a cover, then there's a cover... o_O

2/ Nope. Calibre automatically takes the cover that's currently set in its [Calibre's] metadata for the book when you do a MOBI/AZW3 conversion (or a Send To Device), and embed (or replace) it in the file [and update the metadata pointers if need be]. No idea how other readers handle mobi files, but this is pretty basic stuff, so I'd wager that everyone does this properly and honor the file's metadata/content.

3/ Not exactly. The embedded thumbnails is used when there's no ASIN set, or you're using JBPatch. The external (or sideloaded) thumbnail is used otherwise.

The thumbnails are in the system/thumbnails folder.

Cover mode always takes precedence over everything else.
In cover mode, the behavior at boot is to use the last screensaver used. If it's not a fresh install, then, yes, it will use the last thing used (either the last screensaver, the overlay from the 'last' mode, or the last cover shown) until a book is opened.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #180
potplanty
potplanty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Hey guys. Got a bit of a problem. I've installed the 1.75 jailbreak on my Paperwhite and I tried installing the 0.5 screensaver hack but when I install the screensaver hack it comes up with update failed error code 3
Any ideas?
potplanty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch