Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
EDIT - I see you wound up getting one of the XtraFlex models. For the money, the XtraFlex 2 is probably worth it over the one bulb model, so I hope that's the one you got. Again, if its too bright, you can always turn one of the bulbs off.
Erk! They didn't have the XtraFlex 2 at Borders. I might go and return the XtraFlex but I'm not sure where to get XtraFlex 2 for less than $30. (The XtraFlex was $15)

Last edited by Katdragon; 07-09-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #17
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I use the M-Edge eluminator model. I picked it up at BestBuy for around $25.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #18
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katdragon View Post
Erk! They didn't have the XtraFlex 2 at Borders. I might go and return the XtraFlex but I'm not sure where to get XtraFlex 2 for less than $30. (The XtraFlex was $15)
$20 inc shipping, probably other sellers on there as well with good prices!

Just remembered you're in Australia. That is a US price that I mentioned.

Last edited by Javed; 07-10-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #19
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
FYI: I have both the one-bulb and two-bulb models. The two-bulb model has a click-on, click-off button, different from the one-bulb model. The two-bulb model easily turns on accidentally in a bag and such, I've found.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #20
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Hi Maggie - which one do you prefer? I'm using mine on top of the computer at the moment and I would like a bit more light, but it's fine on my Kobo. I've found they're $25 at Dymocks so do you think it's worth spending the extra cash?

Edit: Thanks Javed, unfortunately USA stuff doesn't help much

Last edited by Katdragon; 07-10-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: More stuff
Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #21
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Hi Maggie - which one do you prefer? I'm using mine on top of the computer at the moment and I would like a bit more light, but it's fine on my Kobo. I've found they're $25 at Dymocks so do you think it's worth spending the extra cash?

Edit: Thanks Javed, unfortunately USA stuff doesn't help much
Katdragon, if I'd known about the easy-trigger switch on the two-bulb model, I would've just stuck with the one-bulb model. I was on the go a lot at the time, though, so I needed a light I could carry around. If you're going to use it mostly at home, might be better to get the two-bulb, so you can get the light coverage you need.

I just posted my original heads up because I thought you might be ordering from abroad and wanted to save you the trouble and cost in case the easy-trigger switch would be a problem for you.

I actually didn't like the Mighty Bright, because it needed adjusting to find a sweet spot with enough coverage, yet no glare, on my Kindle. And often I'd accidentally knock it out of place. It wasn't enough of a pain for me to buy yet another light, though. I wanted a light while away from home during an especially long stretch. At home, I have plenty of ambient and task lighting set up.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #22
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Thanks Maggie,
I'm going to be using the light for my Kobo and since I want to carry it around with me, I think the one-bulb is the way to go. I was thinking that if it could double as task-lighting then that'd be good but I've got an okay setup anyway.

You've saved me a trip to the shops and some money Thanks muchly!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #23
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
It's 17 dollars at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-.../dp/B001CSV422
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #24
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Thanks Frankr - I think I'll stick with the first version due to the travel benefits that Maggie mentioned.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:46 AM   #25
bookoffers
Connoisseur
bookoffers began at the beginning.

Device: NOne
Stick with your current version. just a matter of upgrading it into Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 LED book light.Get you reading on your new and improved Kobo eReader.
bookoffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Just picked up the MightyBright XtraFlex as it was on sale at Borders. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your suggestions.
I have this one and am looking for something else. Some issues have cropped up over a year's usage:
- the 'flex' is getting a little too flex-y over time. Still holds the light more or less in position but it doesn't take much force to dislodge it, requiring readjustment.
- the switch is balky - have to press and hold VERY hard to get it to toggle hi/lo/off.
- takes 3 AAA batteries. Batteries are usually purchased and charged in pairs or sets of 4. The mismatch is annoying, as I'm never sure that I'm cycling the batteries evenly. 2 would be lighter and easier to manage.
- I'd like something that stows more efficiently for travel. As it is it will not fit in a jacket or carrying case pocket and has to be thrown in 'loose' somewhere.
- it's a little obtrusive when clipped onto my reader's case and doesn't work well clipped to the top (glare and visually distracting). Again, it doesn't fold down and if I want to put the reader into a backpack or whatever, the light has to come off.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #27
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have this one and am looking for something else. Some issues have cropped up over a year's usage:
I'm beginning to think you're right!

Quote:
- the switch is balky - have to press and hold VERY hard to get it to toggle hi/lo/off.
This has been a bit annoying too.

Quote:
- takes 3 AAA batteries. Batteries are usually purchased and charged in pairs or sets of 4. The mismatch is annoying, as I'm never sure that I'm cycling the batteries evenly. 2 would be lighter and easier to manage.
I agree.

Quote:
- I'd like something that stows more efficiently for travel. As it is it will not fit in a jacket or carrying case pocket and has to be thrown in 'loose' somewhere.
I have to admit that this is a major problem. I was in a rush when I bought the light and didn't take the time to think it over properly. I do want something that I can just slip into the case.

Quote:
it's a little obtrusive when clipped onto my reader's case and doesn't work well clipped to the top (glare and visually distracting). Again, it doesn't fold down and if I want to put the reader into a backpack or whatever, the light has to come off.
I did have a look at the Pocketflex light but it was really bulky on my e-reader and obscured the screen.

The travelflex looks okay but I guess I'd still want to know if it fit properly. My case should be coming in later this week so I can take it down to Borders and have a look at the other lights.

In terms of better lights for portability I can't see any more on the mighty bright site - unless someone has a different suggestion?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #28
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Thought this deserved a new post - otherwise you'd have to scroll through the previous one.

I've heard good reviews of the eLuminator by M-Edge. I don't have their cover, but if the light is worth it then I'm going to ask them if there's a way to fit it into the one that I have.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #29
hangers
hangers began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any idea if the Zelco Itty Bitty Slim Book Light (looks like a pen with shirt clip---geeky!) works with a Kindle new gen and the Kindle leather cover? It does LOOK like it can clip in the leather cover 'binder' part.
hangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #30
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Thought this deserved a new post - otherwise you'd have to scroll through the previous one.

I've heard good reviews of the eLuminator by M-Edge. I don't have their cover, but if the light is worth it then I'm going to ask them if there's a way to fit it into the one that I have.
It should work with any cover. There's just a slim piece of plastic that fits between the device and back of the cover. It's a good light.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote