Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: If you buy a DRMd book, which format do you prefer?
Secure eReader 17 9.60%
Secure Mobipocket 46 25.99%
Secure Adobe (Adept) ePub 86 48.59%
Secure PDF 2 1.13%
Secure BN (eReader) ePub 2 1.13%
Other 24 13.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Which DRMd format do you prefer to buy?

I know most of us prefer books which do not have DRM. But let's say a book you want to read is only available in a DRMd format. Assume all other things are roughly equal: price, accessibility etc. There is no compelling reason to choose one over the other (i.e. no 'I must buy secure eReader to get a micropay credit' or anything like that). Assume also that you have the software to decrypt the book should you wish to. So, with that in mind, which format do you choose?

If you don't mind explaining why, that would be great. I am realizing that secure eReader, my format of choice in the past, is not the best for converting, but I am nervous about jumping ship from plain old HTML...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I put Other because I don't purchase eBooks that have DRM.

Other also means that if I absolutely have to purchase a eBook with DRM that the DRM doesn't survive very long after the download.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
See, I was gonna say..........

"You forgot the "I wouldn't buy a drm'd book if it hopped on my shoulders and sang "On the Good Ship Lollipop"!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i noticed you mentioned epub twice, and since no-one had voted for those categories yet i took the liberty of changing them to "adobe epub" and "bn epub".

personally, i prefer strongly to buy drm-free books. however, i also am decidedly weak-willed, and if there is a book i really really want to read which is only available with drm, provided it's a form of drm i can remove, i will buy it anyway (i try to keep that to minimum, nonetheless, and i remove the drm the instant i download it).

i chose adobe (adept) epub, because epub is my format of choice anyway so at least that way i avoid the extra step of converting the format (and the, ahem, "suprises" that sometimes come along with that). i haven't yet tried BN flavour drm, mainly because the few times i've wanted to buy a book from them, i was unable to due to geographic restrictions.

edit : never mind. i changed my vote to "other" after reading Guns4Hire's post, since that corresponds to my behaviour as well.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 02-14-2010 at 05:26 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Someday I won't buy DRM'd eBooks, but, not until books I actually care to read are available that way. To me it's more important to prop up an actual eBook industry before going all activist about DRM.

That said, I choose ADEPT ePub because the DRM stripping is both easy and results in an unaltered ePub which is my format of choice when not using DRM.

If you were to exclude that reasoning, then I'd choose eReader because I can read them with Stanza on my iPhone. If there is ever a reader worth using on iPhone that supported ADEPT ePub then I'd lean back that way. For now, txtr is the only one, and it's awful

inept epub for the win...
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks, Zelda.

To clarify, I am not interested in hashing out the DRM is evil argument, nor in the 'I would never ever buy a book with DRM' one either I am interested in hearing from people who DO BUY BOOKS WITH DRM about what format they choose. eReader has always felt like the most future-proof to me because it decrypts to plain HTML, but it is messy and time-consuming and I lose things like the graphics and layout. I was scared off from epub because it didn't look right in the Calibre viewer, but when I tried loading it onto my device I realized that it was because I was not seeing things like page breaks properly on my computer screen and they looked great on my device. So I am reconsidering.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If I have to buy a secure format, I prefer aDE ePub because I can use it transparently on my Sony Reader. As long as I download on my laptop and copy to my Reader I don't even notice its presence.

I dislike DRM, but if I'm going to have to deal with it, I prefer one that minimizes the amount of effort necessary on my part.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Prefer DRM free but I'll generally opt for epub if need be since I like the format and I can strip the DRM very easily.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Thanks, Zelda.

To clarify, I am not interested in hashing out the DRM is evil argument, nor in the 'I would never ever buy a book with DRM' one either I am interested in hearing from people who DO BUY BOOKS WITH DRM about what format they choose. eReader has always felt like the most future-proof to me because it decrypts to plain HTML, but it is messy and time-consuming and I lose things like the graphics and layout. I was scared off from epub because it didn't look right in the Calibre viewer, but when I tried loading it onto my device I realized that it was because I was not seeing things like page breaks properly on my computer screen and they looked great on my device. So I am reconsidering.
That's the problem with that decrypter everyone uses for eReader. It SHOULD simply spit out the original eReader document without the DRM and let you convert it as you wish imho. Though... I probably would eventually explain how converting to html loses the eBook specific information that might be in there, as well as embedding of images and such is not supported in html and so you have to remember to keep track of more files, and all that. ePub is basically modern html with a few modifications specific to eBooks in a standard packaging format anyway.

Then add to that, that soon enough ePub will simply become the "original" eBook format after design format conversion from most if not all publishers. That's going make the eReader formats, which have less formatting capabilities, into a second class format more likely to contain errors or missing formatting data or whatnot.

So I guess if you're considering the future of dealing with DRM'd books, choosing where to buy, etc. I'd definitely consider ditching eReader. Even ereader (the company, aka bn) itself is moving to ePub, and not only that but with ADEPT ePubs you can generally use one certificate for decrypting from any of the various stores that sell that format. As for password protected ePubs, I have not looked into whether they are cracked, and I don't know what BN has on theirs, since their prices are always bad, I don't buy from them.

So in my mind ePub = Higher fidelity, Less requirement to convert, more purchasing options, more device options, and I would also argue it's as futureproof as the awful html spit out by ereader dedrm tools because it is an open format too.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I chose mobipocket since I buy from Amazon
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I prefer Mobipocket as I use the reader on both my smart phone and PDA. But in my desperate attempts to circumvent geo restrictions, I will take epub or MS Reader files as well.

In the end it is not so important as I "liberate" the file from unwanted additions and then add metadata as needed.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I prefer Mobipocket because that was the first format I used, so it's the one I'm most comfortable with. Also, with the MobideDRM plugin for Calibre, the DRM removal is completely invisible and painless. ADE ePUB comes in a close second, but it loses out to Mobi due to the extra step required for DRM removal (which is ALWAYS my first step whenever I buy a DRMed book).
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
ADEPT ePub or Mobi. I have a Kindle and will opt for ePub if buying somewhere other than Amazon.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
I also began in the ebook world with mobi and, honestly if it were not for mobipocket I probably would never have even considered the possibility of buying an ebook reader. mobi ebooks tend to be formatted in the way that I like and convert easily into lrf or epub.

My familiarity with mobidedrm also helped me to be able to use ereader2html, and with B&N having such a low price on their books, this is a good thing.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #15
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I choose the Adobe adept, simple because it is an easier one to liberate.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote