Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Subscribing to Forum does not seem to be working

I recently subscribed to not just a thread, but a whole forum. I decided that since I now own (or will very soon now) an Astak device, I would subscribe to that forum, so that when I click on QuickLinks/Subscribed Threads, all new posts/threads in that forum would show up.

But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to activate?
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Forum subscriptions work somewhat differently than thread subscriptions. When you subscribe to a forum, you have the option to get daily, weekly or no email updates, whereas for thread subscriptions you can also be instanteously notified via email. Also, when you subscribe to a forum, you won't automatically see all its threads in your usercp (I am not sure how this could be implemented in a useful way) . What you get, beside the optional email updates, is an option in advanced search to search specifically only forums you are subscribed to.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
And you get the list of subscribed forums on your CP.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I recently subscribed to not just a thread, but a whole forum. I decided that since I now own (or will very soon now) an Astak device, I would subscribe to that forum, so that when I click on QuickLinks/Subscribed Threads, all new posts/threads in that forum would show up.

But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to activate?
IMNSHO the best way to participate at MobileRead is to go into your Control Panel (user CP link above). Then select Edit Options from the left menu. At the bottom of that page is a section "Forum Exclusion"... but I like to think of it as the "Select Forums" area.

In that section select the forum sections that you want to follow ALL the time. In your case, the Astak forum. Keep in mind if you select a forum section it doesn't automatically include sub-sections, you have to select those too.

Now, create a bookmark on your browsers "link" toolbar to new post. Which is this link https://www.mobileread.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew . This will show you new post is only those forum sections that you selected on your control panel.

I also have a bookmark on my links bar to the Control Panel. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/usercp.php

The control panel will show you threads with new messages that you have subscribed to, and also new visitor messages.

I usually go to the control panel first, read the new posts in the threads I have subscribed to. From there, I will use my New Posts bookmark to see the new threads/posts in the forums I have selected.

once that is done, and if I have time (I usually don't) I can go and see if there is anything interesting in the other sections by going into that specific section. This is usually how/when I visit the lounge.

So to summarize:

1. Go into control panel and select the sections you ALWAYS want to follow.

2. Create a bookmark to the control panel to quickly see new messages in subscribed threads.

3. Create a bookmark to "new posts" to see new messages/threads in your favorite forums.

4. Vist other forums when you want.

One other hint you might want... use the "Mark all forums read" when you think you have seen it all. This way when you visit forum sections that aren't favorites you can quickly find new messages since your last visit.

Hope this helps someone...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Thanks Alexander, Jelby. I figured it was a mistake on my part either by ignorance or by assumption. I love being right

Thanks also pilotbob. I will do this next time I head to work. Right now I check my subscribed threads, then jump to the different forums. A bit time consuming, but it worked. Glad to know of this other option, though. Excellent information!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Is there a way to get an RSS feed to a particular forum?

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Try https://www.mobileread.com/forums/rss.php
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks!!

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote