Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Pierre Menard
Zealot
Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Nook HD+, Nook Simple Touch
Calibre server & updating cover art

After a long time happily using calibre to send books via USB to my Nook, I'm now trying to get used to using the content server to send books to an Asus TF700 tablet.

One problem I'm having is the cover is not getting updated--ie, it comes over w/ the "default" cover from the publisher, not the one I added in the calibre library.

Searching the forums, I found lots of issues with cover art, but not specific to using the server. The only stuff I found that talked about the server seemed to say this should be working--that anything that exports books from calibre should also update the metadata. However, I'm seeing different behavior with the same book depending if I use "save to disk" (which does embed the new cover), "send to device" via USB (does embed), or download via the content server (does not embed the cover, but does seem to embed all other metadata).

I realize I can use the "modify epub" plugin to change the covers within the calibre library, but I wish to keep the books in my library in their original unaltered condition and only make changes to the exported copies. Which theoretically I think calibre should do, but it's not happening.

Am I doing it wrong?

Last edited by Pierre Menard; 03-06-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Pierre Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Menard View Post
Am I doing it wrong?
Actually, yes. It's best to make the changes to the ePub using Modify ePub because not all Reading apps or devices can handle the data being external and gets it from the ePub itself. By having the ePub updated, you get less change of things not working properly. Modify ePub only modifies the bits that you asked to maybe be modified. It does not do a conversion to make the changes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Pierre Menard
Zealot
Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
not all Reading apps or devices can handle the data being external and gets it from the ePub itself.
This isn't relevant to my question. I'm not talking about anything external. I'm talking about embedding the metadata, including the cover, upon export. Which is working with send to device and save to disk, but not on download from the server, though my reading here suggests it should work the same on all three.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Since you don't want to modify the covers of the books in the library, you may have to get the books to your device some other way.

One way could be to connect calibre to a folder that is shared over wifi, and sync to that folder using some sync app. I use the app FolderSync for that.

Another way could be to use Calibre Companion, but I am not sure if it updates the covers.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The content server uses exactly the same code to update covers in epub files as save to disk and send to device. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...ontent.py#L227
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I was wrong, all non-cover metadata is updated, not the cover, Something I have fixed for the next release. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...revision/14543
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Speaking of Save to Disk, is it possible to have an option added (as the default) to Save to Disk such that the cover & metadata are not modified and no conversion is done at all so what is in the library is exactly what's saved?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Preferences->Saving to disk and no, that is never going to be default.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Pierre Menard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Actually, I was wrong, all non-cover metadata is updated, not the cover, Something I have fixed for the next release. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...revision/14543
Thank you.

To tack onto JSWolf's question, I do know about & make use of the preference to not embed metadata on save to disk, but I notice it only applies to that specific function. There doesn't seem to be a way, for instance, to get an unaltered/unembedded copy via the server (assuming there's not a preference I'm just missing).

Was that a design choice to make "update metadata in saved copies" option specifically a save to disk preference and not just a general export preference?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you really want to to disable all metadata writing just go to Preferences->Plugins and disable the metadata writer plugins.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Nice! I have been working around this by using the Modify ePUB plugin, but this will be better, since I won't have to know to do it before I download it from calibre-server. Since I don't keep all of my books on my devices, I don't always modify the ePUB beforehand.

h.b.
hbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #12
Jakkal
Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch
Sorry to bring this old thread to life but, I have the same problem like in the first post. I'm downloading my books from the Calibre content server to my Kobo Aura One. Everything was fine until I upgrade my Windows from 7 to 10 and updated the Calibre to the latest version 3.30 (the previous version that I was using and was working fine was 3.12).
Now when I change the cover of a book, the Calibre show the new cover everywhere except when I download the book from the content server. When I use "sent to device" and upload it through USB, it shows correctly the new updated cover , but when I download it from the Calibre content server it shows the old cover. Is there any options in the Calibre that I should check or is this a bug?
Jakkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Books are stored unchanged in calibre, if you update metadata and cover and so on. When you send to device or save to disk metadata and cover is updated in the new copy.

This ensures that you can keep your original ebooks unchanged and you can convert from the original to different formats and to different devices again and again with different settings without loss of data.

Calibre server serves the originals as they are stored, without updated metadata. This can, as you have discovered cause problems and surprises.

However, you CAN apply updated metadata and covers to the books as stored inside calibre. You use the function "Polish" to do so. You can add a "Polish" button bar to the main menu bar to make this easy to access.

Conversions also update metadata and cover, but only for the new format.

So this is not a bug. It is a feature... The original ebook is preserved by calibre until you decide it should be updated.

Last edited by Adoby; 08-27-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #14
Jakkal
Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch
Thank you for the answer. I can try "Polish" if there is no other way.
You say that the Calibre send the original book (without the updated metadata) and it is meant to be this way, but until now (since 2013) I was using the Calibre server and it was sending the updated book to my reader, with the new covers (updated metadata).
Is this behavior changed now?
Jakkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #15
Adoby
Handy Elephant

If there is a conversion happening before the book is sent then the converted book is updated.

But otherwise, if you request the original already existing format, then the original file is sent. At least this is how I think it works.

I hope someone can confirm or refute. Or you can just try it and see if this is correct.

From your previous description this is what seems to happen.

And as far as I know this behavior has not changed.

Last edited by Adoby; 08-27-2018 at 12:48 PM.