Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
David B
David B began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook GEN3
Broken display

Hi,

This time I am done playing with my cybook, half of the screen went black. I tried to restart and reset but nothing improve. It's even worse since I took the picture, now the complete uper half is black.

I sent an email to booken, I hope I will get a replacement. I never drop it or anything. I read somewhere that this is not the first case like it, any feedback? Did you have it replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook2.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	9165  
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It looks like the controller chip for the screen malfunctioned. You'll have to send the device in to be repaired or replaced.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree with Nate - that definitely looks like a screen controller problem. As Nate says, you'll need to send it back for repair.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
David B

Thanks for the feedback. I am still waiting for an answer from Bokeen.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
Tulkas
Enthusiast
Tulkas began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, CyBook Gen3, iPod Touch, PB 360
I had a similar experience but the top half was all black ~ it was a return & replacement under warranty job ..
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
David B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
I had a similar experience but the top half was all black ~ it was a return & replacement under warranty job ..
Well I would like this, if only they could answer my email. I was already addicted to the Mobipocket eNews subscription and I miss it badly
Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
David B

It has been one week and still no news from Bookeen. A short message to inform me that my problem would be handdled as soon as possible would have been nice.
I am now very pissed off, this kind of behaviour is unacceptable from a company who sells such an expensive device.

Please, if somebody knows a phone number where I can join Bookeen directly...
Old 01-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
It has been one week and still no news from Bookeen. A short message to inform me that my problem would be handdled as soon as possible would have been nice.
I am now very pissed off, this kind of behaviour is unacceptable from a company who sells such an expensive device.

Please, if somebody knows a phone number where I can join Bookeen directly...
I would have waited two days then sent another letter asking for confirmation that the first letter had arrived and repeating the first letter. Letter can disappear in spam filter so it is good to confirm that that has not happened.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
David B

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I would have waited two days then sent another letter asking for confirmation that the first letter had arrived and repeating the first letter. Letter can disappear in spam filter so it is good to confirm that that has not happened.
Well I agree, emails are not the best way to support customers, so why don't they provide also phone number?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's very difficult for small companies like Bookeen to provide international support by phone. Can they assume that all their customers will speak French? If not, how many languages does the person who answers the phone have to speak? Dealing with e-mails is a lot more straightforward. Because e-mail is not 100% reliable, I too generally give it 24h and then re-send. I've always found Bookeen's support to be pretty good at answering - if you've waited a week with no reply, I think the most likely explanation is that your e-mail didn't reach them.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
David B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's very difficult for small companies like Bookeen to provide international support by phone. Can they assume that all their customers will speak French? If not, how many languages does the person who answers the phone have to speak? Dealing with e-mails is a lot more straightforward. Because e-mail is not 100% reliable, I too generally give it 24h and then re-send. I've always found Bookeen's support to be pretty good at answering - if you've waited a week with no reply, I think the most likely explanation is that your e-mail didn't reach them.
I agree but still they are selling a 350€ device...

Well by the way it seems that you were right and they immediately answered today after I sent another email, so let say the first one is lost somewhere...
Old 01-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's good to hear. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
I think I have a similar problem. An hour ago, I disconnected my Cybook from my computer and went to power it down - bad surprise, the display was just a series of black and white squares! See the scan below...

So I tried reset and restart, but nothing works. After rebooting, the display
goes back to the squares again.

Anybody experienced something like this here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook-problem.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	9437  
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IreneDelse View Post
I think I have a similar problem. An hour ago, I disconnected my Cybook from my computer and went to power it down - bad surprise, the display was just a series of black and white squares! See the scan below...

So I tried reset and restart, but nothing works. After rebooting, the display
goes back to the squares again.

Anybody experienced something like this here?
Actually...yes. The exact same thing happened when I renamed the 'icudt36l.dat' file in de 'system' directory on the internal flash (don't ask. Insatiably curious :-)). You might want to see whether your internal flash is still readable and/or run fsck (Linux) or it's Windows equivalent (ScanDisk/chkdsk) on it.

Regards,

Marco.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
OK, I guess the problem comes from my tinkering with the ebook files in the file manager while the Cybook was plugged in the computer. But I never touched the system files.

New problem, now: I checked, and I can't read the internal flash drive on the computer anymore. The drive is detected but can't be mounted in Linux.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote