Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 04:21 AM   #16
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumas View Post
What you are asking for is beyond the basic reading experience provided by most eReaders. The Entourage Edge satisfies requirements 1-3. If you consider 16 hours to be very good battery life, then it also satisfies requirement 4.

With its digitizer and journaling capability, the Edge is much more than a reader. Consider this user's experience:

My First Two Week In-Class with the eDGe Review

And if that sounds interesting, be sure to check out the Edge forums here on MobileRead and the corporate site to get all the ins and outs.
I would not recommend the Edge to anyone right now. The company looks to be on life-support and have withdrawn pretty much all activity on their own site and boards.

Maybe they are reorganizing but I don't think they are a company for a student who might come to depend on their device and who needs a device they can trust completely. Simple screen service might be weeks to months to impossible by now.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #17
Dumas
Connoisseur
Dumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enough

Device: Nokia N810, enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
I would not recommend the Edge to anyone right now. The company looks to be on life-support and have withdrawn pretty much all activity on their own site and boards.

Maybe they are reorganizing but I don't think they are a company for a student who might come to depend on their device and who needs a device they can trust completely. Simple screen service might be weeks to months to impossible by now.
And Entourage's current corporate status and support isn't much different from companies that have been in business for years and will be for years to come. I haven't found any companies' support to be anything to write home about for the last decade. It's really quite sad.

However, the best support I've found has been from user communities and I make my purchase decisions based on that, not anything the company may or may not do in the future. If I didn't think the Edge had a solid user community, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

"Trust" in a company has nothing to do with a device's current functionality. It either satisfies a user's requirements, or it doesn't. If the user is the type of person that places their complete trust in a device, then I think they would be most concerned if they could replace the device if needed. I don't see that being a problem over the next two years or so since Hicham is looking for something to get them through their Masters.

Everything has its pros and cons. Hicham has the links needed to make an informed decision on a device that may meet their four requirements.
Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I second the suggestion of a full-sized enTourage eDGe, despite the company's difficulties. Check the links Dumas gave you, and search ebay for bargains. The EE has many satisfied owners in the world of academia.

Best luck!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
If not the edge (which you'd have to find used because the company is now out of business) you may also consider the Asus Eee Note and the Onyx Boox M90. Both are Wacom pen devices.

The Asus is an 8 inch screen and has been out for a while. Users seem to really like it.

The Onyx M90 is a 10 inch screen is supposed to ship this week. Check out the thread about it on this forum, and you'll see that they are still working out some kinks.

But if note taking is your main criteria, these two devices are worth checking out to see if they meet your needs.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I use a Kindle 2 for books to read in my graduate classes. Most of mybooks don't have a lot it pictures, graphs, etc. Adding notes is easy with the keyboard. I can also export my notes to my computer.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #21
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
As someone else said above, you might want to take a loot at a SONY PRS950.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote