Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #76
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Want to reopen the discussion thread around Xmas 2020?

Let's plan on it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #77
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Let's plan on it!
Cool, added to my dayplanner
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #78
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Want to reopen the discussion thread around Xmas 2020?
Let's not rush into it.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #79
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Let's not rush into it.
You have a point there. But I am sure that Kenny is as flexible as me so if you need a bit more time we can always postpone.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #80
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
You have a point there. But I am sure that Kenny is as flexible as me so if you need a bit more time we can always postpone.

Absolutely!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #81
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
I just can not get into the blasted book. The "listen and read" option (message #10) seems to be my best bet but it isn't a success yet.

On the plus side, I now have a great-looking epub.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #82
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I just can not get into the blasted book. The "listen and read" option (message #10) seems to be my best bet but it isn't a success yet.

On the plus side, I now have a great-looking epub.
I am the same. After all the comments here I am still trying, but I just don't get it. I am actually proud if I manage to read 3 pages in one go before falling asleep.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #83
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Thumbs up

I just finished reading Gone With the Wind this past Wednesday. It took me 10days and it is by far the longest ebook I have ever read. It was 993 pages and I felt it was easy reading and a page turner. I have to first say that I have seen the movie a long time ago but the book is far better and left a much different impression on me.

After viewing the movie as a child I thought it was just a dumb 'chick' book about a heroine. But after reading it through I am amazed how complex it was, how great Mitchell was as a writer, and how she provided all those details about the important character's life history to get us to that day before the South mobilized for war.

The major theme to me was not 'a lifestyle was gone with the wind' but how people chase artificial social levels to find out that they are not worth it. I felt everyone had a place (or role) in the society of the time and no one seemed happy where they were and wanted to be in a higher (better) place. Ellen (Scarlet's mom) wanted nothing to do with her family so married a man significantly older and moved 100s of miles in land to Tara. She ended up working to her death from sun up to sun down. Scarlet's dad had to flee Ireland and start over, but as soon as he did he wanted to be an established planter, the landed gentry. When ge got it through marriage and luck of cards he seemed trapped in the world he was in. Ashely was a 'gentleman farmer' but wanted to be an artsy thinker. Scarlet wanted to be a wife of Ashley but never could see Ashley for what he was. She then wanted to be rich and once she got it she was ultimately not happy. She wanted people to fear her and they did and she missed the intimacy of friends. Rhett wanted to rebel from everyone to prove he was better than them and how they are all stupid and ends up running back to his past and his family. Only Melanie was balanced and happy where she was.

Another theme was how people always looked down on others as if they were better. The society and gentle people of the County all looked down on the trash, negros, and "nig*ers." Even the negro servants looked down on whites if they were of a lower level as their masters. But then the people of the coastal communities (Charleston and Savanahh) looked down on the people of the County, so there was always someone better out there. This was common throughout the book.

I read this book for historical interest and I learned a bit more about the Civil War and how it was ebb and flow at times.The movie could not focus on that and also changed some events around (like how Scarlet's father dies.) There are even some extra children Scarlet had I do not recall in the movie.

All and all I am glad I finally did read it. I would recommend this book to others. But I won't bother with the sequel. I heard it is garbage.

Last edited by Billsuits1; 11-20-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote