Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Reader with Turn Page buttons

I started out with a Sony 505 and it is now my wife's.
I got 2 Sony T1's, and traded one for a sony 350.

I like the 505, but don't like its slow page turn or its weight anymore.

I LOVE the 350's form factor, but wish it had buttons on the side.

I am starting to really dislike my remaining T1. I read one handed and so don't use the touchscreen. The placement of the page turn button on the bottom of the device ends up straining my wrist really quick. Plus, the T1 has been doing a lot of double page turning, at random, and I am getting sick of it.

So I am looking at another reader. But I want one with turn page buttons on the side.
Are there any besides the Kindle? I am not adverse to the kindle, as I've got the tools added to Calibre, but I like the way that the Sony's handle collections/series. I know there is the Kindle collection plugin, but it seems like 'more' work

Any thoughts?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
The Onyx Boox i62HD I have has turn buttons on the sides. I find them very confortable to hold it with one hand. Pressing the right button on the upper side goes to the following page, and on the lower side goes to the previous page. The left button works the opposite way: the upper side goes to the previous page and the lower side to the following one. This way you can easily go to the previous or the following page using only one hand.

You have more info here: http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oft-touch.html There is a lighted version too (Firefly).

The only thing I do not know if you're going to like is the weight: 250 gr. It doesn't bother me, but I don't know how much the 505 weights
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Bookeen Odyssey Frontlight HD has comfortable buttons too. Feather light.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
Bookeen's 5" Opus has page turn buttons. And it's incredible light and easy to hold.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
The Nook Simple Touch also has page turn buttons on both sides.
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ebsebs:
I was looking at the pictures on the BN website, and I can't see any buttons on the Nst.
There don't appear to be any that I can see.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Ebsebs:
I was looking at the pictures on the BN website, and I can't see any buttons on the Nst.
There don't appear to be any that I can see.
Here is a pic that shows the buttons. Some say, myself included that the buttons are hard to use. Two thin and hard to press.

Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
spideyak
spideyak is on a distinguished road

Device: PocketBook 301+, Sony PRS-300
The touch buttons can be finicky, but are definitely nice to have. I don't like touch screens: added complexity almost guarantees added problems.

Nice picture of the buttons, by the way.
spideyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider

Thanks Hoyt! No way I would have seen those on the stock pix.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Quote:
Some say, myself included that the buttons are hard to use. Two thin and hard to press.
I've heard that, but I don't find them difficult to press.
I just rest my thumb on the line and that works well for me.
Keeps the screen clean too!

Regards,
Eric
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider

Ebsebs,
is it a hard press or a soft press? ie, can you accidently turn a page by glancing your finger over the pageturn button?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
ebsebs
Connoisseur

Quote:
can you accidently turn a page by glancing your finger over the pageturn button?
No, you have to press the button; just brushing over it doesn't turn the page.
I hold the NST in one hand with my thumb resting on the button without any accidental page turns.
As I said, I like how the NST buttons work, but others think they're too hard to press.
If possible, you should try them yourself before making a decision.

Regards,
Eric