Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Newbie question - OPF & JPG

I noticed that opf & jpeg files are set to be saved automatically.

I don't know what the OPF file is used for so I assume it is something I will not be needing - would it be a mistake to disable these two files from being generated?

Thanks,

BTW, I have these:

Kindle Keyboard
Kindle NT
Nook Tablet
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
I noticed that opf & jpeg files are set to be saved automatically.

I don't know what the OPF file is used for so I assume it is something I will not be needing - would it be a mistake to disable these two files from being generated?

Thanks,

BTW, I have these:

Kindle Keyboard
Kindle NT
Nook Tablet
the JPG is a external copy of the cover (some readers may need this to show on their bookshelf)
OPF is the Metadata. (same reason )

If things are working out, you don't need them on your current reader (Mine are also switched off).
Never mess with the ones inside the Library (if you are peeking).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks, I will leave them off.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Keeping at least the opf file separate is good in case your calibre database ever corrupts. Calibre can rebuild its database from these opf files, but only if you're generating them. They should not take up much space, so I don't know what benefit there would be to turning them off.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Keeping at least the opf file separate is good in case your calibre database ever corrupts. Calibre can rebuild its database from these opf files, but only if you're generating them. They should not take up much space, so I don't know what benefit there would be to turning them off.
Save to disk has an option to EXPORT those files along with the selected format.
I believe that is what the OP is asking about.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Save to disk has an option to EXPORT those files along with the selected format.
I believe that is what the OP is asking about.
Ah, durr. Yeah, no need to export those. I didn't even think you could make calibre not create them in its internal file storage, but I'm away from my calibre installation at the moment so I just assumed it was a hidden option in preferences somewhere
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Distorted Vision
Distorted Vision began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4G
Can the Kindle use the metadata in the .opf file or is it purely for Calibre?

Last edited by Distorted Vision; 02-19-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Distorted Vision is offline   Reply With Quote