Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2006, 03:04 AM   #1
Yak
Yak began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Resetting Sony Reader to Factory Default Settings

I turned my Sony Reader on yesterday and for some unknown reason the screen lock feature was activated and wanting me to enter a 4 digit code before accessing the reader. I had never set a code on the reader, so I had no clue what to enter. I tried some various entries such as 0000, 1111, 1234 etc, but I was still locked out. Doing a normal reset would not remove the screen lock.

Referencing the Sony Reader manual, it stated to call Sony if you 'forgot' your password. I called Sony and got through in about 5 minutes. The tech said I would have to reset the device back to factory default.

Here's the procedure he gave me for resetting the device back to factory default:

Note: Performing this procedure will delete any content you have stored on the Reader.

1). With the reader off, using a paper clip or similar device, press in and hold the Reset button on the back of the unit for 5 - 10 seconds.

2). Release the reset button and power on the reader.

3). While the reader is booting, press and hold both the Volume Up and Mark Buttons. Continue holding until you see a screen asking you to confirm that you want to reset the device back to factory default (Press Button 5). Note: I had to hold down these buttons for about 60 seconds to get the confirmation screen. Also about half way through this process, you should see a blue light flash momentarly around the lower left Page button.

4). After you have confirmed you want to set the device back to factory default, the reader will turn off. Turn the unit back on and it will go through its initial startup which takes a minute or two.
Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
thank you

Thank you for posting and your step by step instructions.
I've had to reset my Reader a couple of times due to SD glitches and this will come in handy before I need to contact Sony which I read may be difficult sometimes.
Best,
tony
huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert