Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Xerox still working on e-paper

From The Star:

"One of things we're working on at XRCC is to move away from silicon," says Mahabadi, whose lab just celebrated its 1,000th patent in 32 years of research. "We want to get to a point where we can produce electronic paper by printing rolls and not by the batch, as we do with silicon."

The idea is that if you can print the circuits onto a roll — as you would paper on a printing press — you can create an economy of scale to produce a product that is flexible, paper-thin and portable. It could also be rolled up, laminated onto walls or fridge door panels, wirelessly re-flashed with updated text and images, and also be cheap enough to be disposable after it had enjoyed a reasonable lifespan — longer than that of newsprint but shorter than the monitor on your PC.

While eBooks are starting to make inroads, they don't have the flexibility of natural paper and are cumbersome. But there are already many projects in play.

"EPaper should look and feel like paper which just erases itself at the touch of a button," says Brug, noting it's a real challenge because natural paper is so cheap and can be recycled.

Mahabadi says Xerox is on the verge of creating small screens, about five inches square, using ink-jet printing technology for a variety of applications.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Xerox will outdo their invention of the mouse with this!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

You see! You see!

This is where I think the future of e-ink lies. The ability to print an electronic ink onto plain paper or onto stuff that's mostly like paper opens up a world of interesting things.

And I'll say it again, I want Inspector Gadget's book.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
You see! You see!

This is where I think the future of e-ink lies. The ability to print an electronic ink onto plain paper or onto stuff that's mostly like paper opens up a world of interesting things.

And I'll say it again, I want Inspector Gadget's book.

One here actually looks like Penny's book.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6901#post46901
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:16 AM   #5
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Heh, I noticed!
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Xerox invented the mouse? I don't thinks so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Xerox will outdo their invention of the mouse with this!
Errrr... Xerox didn't invent the mouse. Doug Englebart invented it, while working at SRI (at least, I think that's where he was at the time).

Dean
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Sorry! I thought it was at Xerox Parc!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Xenophon: According to Wikipedia, you are correct. Doug Englebart invented it at SRI with a bloke named Bill English.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote