Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
NanoWriMo 2009

So - who's all thinking about participating? I think we should all go in and give a go as a group. Those of us that finish should put our final first drafts up in the library too when it's done :-)

MoeJoe - you're excluded and not allowed to participate because you can do 50k words in like a week
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
So
MoeJoe - you're excluded and not allowed to participate because you can do 50k words in like a week
Damn. Oh well, I'll be over there anyway the whole month of November (pretty much the only place I will be) as I try for a trilogy of novels in a month
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 02:58 AM   #3
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Meep! Much though I'd love to, Nanowrimo is far too big a challenge for me atm. I already put in as many writing hours as I can, and it usually equates to 500-1000 words a week
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That means I couldn't start until November? But I've got a book ready to start now! And by the time I finish, there won't be time to start a new book for Nanowrimo! Man, my timing sucks!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Man, my timing sucks!
Fortunately the same is most definitely not true of your writing. Loved Verdant Skies.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL Steve...I'm thinking about exempting you too. :-)

But since no one else seems up to the challenge...Let's go at it Steve!

We'll call it the Battle of.... .. .. drawing a blank. Ugh!

I'd like to try my hand against someone of your celebrity. Let's see if we can get Jeffrey Carver in on this too =P
Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard

Nome - don't give up hope. Try anyway!!!
Old 10-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
We'll call it the Battle of.... .. .. drawing a blank. Ugh!
Ooops. Not a good way to start out. (doggie who can barely type two word sentences runs and hides)

Good luck to you!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I wish they would pick some other month. The bill paying job has been in retail these past decades and November is just a little better than December when it comes to Time to Write, which means it's practically non-existent. April would be good. Maybe I'll be done with my current project by then.

Nothing keeping me from making my own NanoWriMo, but it's just more fun to be part of a movement!
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
I'm looking forward to this. I've always been the biggest procrastinator and hopefully this entices me to not only start writing, but finish as well.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Douglas Rhodes
Connoisseur
Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Storm, laptop
I'm planning to give this a go as well.
Douglas Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:24 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I always thought NoNoWriMo was valuable ... as an exercise. I was doubtful, though, about the quality of the results. Writing fiction against a tight deadline creates obvious difficulties that are usually overcome only through careful and sometimes time-consuming revision. And what I'd seen over past years wasn't too encouraging.

But, heck, was I surprised last year when I picked up on a manuscript submission to my own wee pulishing house from an author in the US. After contracts were exchanged and we got involved in the editing process (author-editor relationships can become very chummy), the author told me that the first draft -- the ms he had sent me -- was produced on the fly for the NaNoWriMo challenge with only a basic line edit before submission.

Kid you not, folks, it's one of the best novels I've ever read. Just goes to show that -- for some anyway -- writing against the clock can work well and that NaNoWriMo can be much more than merely a workout and a lesson in discipline. The book will be released soon in paperback and ebook, so please watch this space.

Cheers. Neil

PS: The author, who writes as Bosley Gravel, has a PRS-505. Must invite him to join in here. N

Last edited by neilmarr; 10-21-2009 at 02:25 AM. Reason: To add PS
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #14
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
There are certain styles (and I suspect authors) for which the flow is key - and the "discipline" of sitting down and letting the words flow out at speed can produce an excellent read that a more measured writing style will never match. That said, I think you have to have both passion and an idea (or at least direction) to start with.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I think it's a matter of horses for courses, LazyScot. Some authors work to such a detailed blueprint that most of their creative time is spent in the planning stage and the actual writing is just a matter of following the outline. Others are able to take a blank sheet and let the story write itself and the characters go where they will. More often than not, a private mix of the two systems produces the best result.

Hemingway was right when he said, "The first draft of anything is shit." But the sole example I meantioned above does show that, sometimes at least, the first draft -- right off the top of the head -- is all there bar the fine tuning.

Good luck to anyone with the courage and dedication to meet this challenge. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote