Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
FranzG
FranzG began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Conversion from PDF

Hi,
I have a collection of huge pdfs that I would like to be able to read on my PRS505. The book is this one:
http://www.archive.org/download/camb...05actouoft.pdf

It's a huge book, with a broken OCR (if you just copy/paste the words, the result is full of errors). Is there a way to convert it and make it readable?

On the other side, I've a little collection of Osprey books that I have scanned (I'm an history professor and use to read them on my laptop). Is there a way to keep their images and look for the 505?
Thank you

Last edited by FranzG; 01-22-2009 at 02:35 PM.
FranzG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I had trouble converting large pdfs with Kindle.

There are probably lots of tools that work but the one that seems to do best for me is Mobipocket Reader for the PC. This will convert PDFs to Mobipocket files (of course). From there the Kindle conversion tools will probably do a pretty good job.

You may have some trouble finding out where Mobipocket reader puts its converted files--you need to look at the advanced settings to see what directory it is using.
slm is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
There are probably lots of tools that work but the one that seems to do best for me is Mobipocket Reader for the PC. This will convert PDFs to Mobipocket files (of course).
I also recommend Mobipocket Creator for extracting from pdf. Before creating a Mobipocket file, it saves the output in html file, you can use it to convert to any other format.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
FranzG

Thank you, but i need a more "extended" work to read the Osprey.
In short, I have to "cut" every page in 2 half (up and down), then turn'em of 90° to read them on the 505... otherwise the font it's too small, and I cannot zoom. Cna I do that with calibre?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

You are right; your example book is quite huge!

I have taken the liberty to extract the first 50 pages and uploaded them here.
See if it’s what you are looking for.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Test50.pdf (550.4 KB, 356 views)
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
FranzG

Thanks DDHarriman, that's great! How do you made it?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Ha… ha...

The book you refer to is a PDF with two layers, image on top and text under.
The text is resulting from a OCR without proof reading.

This type of result is very normal in the business (archiving) environment (workflow systems).

A two layer PDF will not be readable (besides trying to turn it into landscape) in the Sony.

To get the results you see here, you have to use a good OCR program: in the market, there are Omnipage Pro 16 and Finereader Pro 9.
From these two, just Finereader Pro 9 gives a PDF output that gives reflowing in the 505.
That’s the one I used in your example.

Best regards,

Last edited by DDHarriman; 01-24-2009 at 01:38 PM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi, DD Harriman

I have many two-column PDF books. I tried using papercrop software. The end result is a very readable, image-quality file. BUT it's huge. If the original pdf file is about one meg, the output papercrop file will be 18 megs.

But you gave me one idea. I could use OCR to transcribe these images to text again. Could you confirm me this is possible without any scanner, only with the OCR software or I misunderstood something ?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by roger64; 01-24-2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote