Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Basic newbie stuff

The fantasy is to be able to put the device down then come back to it a few hours later and continue reading without having to remember which book I was reading. Then remember where I was in the book.

Second fantasy have the default font set to one that is two sizes larger to save me having to reset it each time I pick the book up.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Many Thanks

Cheerio John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
The fantasy is to be able to put the device down then come back to it a few hours later and continue reading without having to remember which book I was reading. Then remember where I was in the book.
You can do this already by
  • Opening the Menu
    Select "Advanced" in the main menu
    Select "Auto Power Off" from the Advanced menu
    Select "No Auto Power Off"
You will have to manually turn off your Cybook at the end of the day, or make sure to charge your Cybook approximately every 4 days if you choose this option

Quote:
Second fantasy have the default font set to one that is two sizes larger to save me having to reset it each time I pick the book up.
This one has me puzzled. Currently if I choose a specific font size in my Cybook it is still chosen when I open the book again.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Many Thanks

Cheerio John
Well, on my Kindle, if I'm reading a book, then turn it off, when I turn it back on, it will open to exactly where I left off. Is that what you meant?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Do you perhaps have to cleanly exit from an ebook for the state to be remembered? I assume all this stuff gets written to the .mbp file for the next time round, but maybe this isn't being update periodically but only when exiting an ebook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well, on my Kindle, if I'm reading a book, then turn it off, when I turn it back on, it will open to exactly where I left off. Is that what you meant?
Yep. CyBook doesn't do that. It always brings you back to the library page.. (home page it is called on Kindle.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yep. CyBook doesn't do that. It always brings you back to the library page.. (home page it is called on Kindle.)
That is why I suggested turning "Auto Power Off" to "Never" so that the Cybook can be left on and picked up to read at any time from exactly where one left off just like in a paper book.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi John

1 - do what Justy says;

2 - set the font to the size you want, it will stay that way until you set it to anything else.

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
That is why I suggested turning "Auto Power Off" to "Never" so that the Cybook can be left on and picked up to read at any time from exactly where one left off just like in a paper book.
Thank you, makes perfect sense to me.

Cheerio John
Old 01-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #9
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Thank you, makes perfect sense to me.

Cheerio John
Really not sure if you don't have another problem.

When you turn-off your cybook, or let it 'auto'-turn-off, and you start up afterwards you should get into the library screen on the book you last read. After you push the center-button you should directly go to the place where you last stopped reading.
So you are basically always only two button-clicks away of your last read-page. When you don't get back to your last read page in this way your cybook is not storing its bookmarks properly and you have a device which is not working properly.

Same goes for the remembering of the font-size..... I really think you've got a problem there.

Check this forum to find out what all can be wrong and what you can do about it.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Unless you let the battery drain, the Cybook will remember the last book open, and the last page on each book. Right, when you turn it on, it starts at the library screen, but with your last book selected, you only have to press the center button, and it will open at the page you were reading.

Also, to save the page, if the book is in an SD-card, you have to make sure it is not write-protected.

Quote:
Ditto. It remembers settings... unless the battery goes empty. That is, you have to manually turn the Cybook off or set auto-turn-off to something other than "never" (and have enough battery charge to last that long). If the battery is emptied while you are reading or while it is on (idle), it will not save the last changes in the settings, and that includes the book and page you were reading and the font settings.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
johnwhelan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Really not sure if you don't have another problem.

When you turn-off your cybook, or let it 'auto'-turn-off, and you start up afterwards you should get into the library screen on the book you last read. After you push the center-button you should directly go to the place where you last stopped reading.
So you are basically always only two button-clicks away of your last read-page. When you don't get back to your last read page in this way your cybook is not storing its bookmarks properly and you have a device which is not working properly.

Same goes for the remembering of the font-size..... I really think you've got a problem there.

Check this forum to find out what all can be wrong and what you can do about it.
I have a fireware of 820 I think so it should be the latest version.

Could you tell me exactly exactly which buttons I should press when to get this? I hold the on off button down for two seconds, then what do I wait for before pressing the "OK" button twice?

Thanks John
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
johnwhelan
Zealot

If I press the OK button then add book mark, then go back to bookmark I find that all the options other than add bookmark are still grayed out.

Is there any other way to confirm that things may not be being saved?

The English user manual was corrupt on the system when it arrived but downloading the replacement seems to have cleared that problem.

Thanks John
Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I have a fireware of 820 I think so it should be the latest version.

Could you tell me exactly exactly which buttons I should press when to get this? I hold the on off button down for two seconds, then what do I wait for before pressing the "OK" button twice?

Thanks John
You should wait until you are on the library screen to push the button (the library screen is the one listing all your books, after the two splash screens).
I don't even think you need to push it twice, I'd say once is enough.

EDIT : John, you don't need to add a bookmark for the Cybook to remember your position in the book.
When you are reading and you turn off the Cybook, at the next restart the book you were reading should be selected in the library and opening it should allow you to return to the exact spot you were before shutting down the Cybook.
If you are experiencing a different behavior, it is possible that there is a problem with your Cybook's internal drive.

Last edited by Gaurnim; 01-07-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
johnwhelan
Zealot

I ran the windows XP disk checking tool that corrects errors. It now remembers the font, I can now put in bookmarks and it will accept them and find them.

If I select the book in the library then I end up where I wish to be. However I still have to scroll through the library. I can sort by date so the newest books are on the end but really what I'd like is to have the newest books at the start of the library.

Any suggestions on how to reduce the number of key presses required to locate the book I'm reading?

Thanks John
Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
If you have ebooks in a SD card, make sure the card is not set to read-only.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote