Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Devastated

Now that I have my eBook reader I wanted to add my alltime favourite book (House of Spirit from Isabel Allende). And I just gave my last pBook away.

Alas - the only store selling this book is Barnes & Noble and they won't sell to me because I'm not in the US.

Sigh I have 3 options now
1) try and get a pirated version - an option I totally oppose not because I'm afraid that i get caught but it just goes against my own personal stupid moral (I blame my parents for teaching me write from wrong)

2) I could type the whole thing up myself - would take me a bit of time (and I don't consider that illegal or immoral as I am typing ) but in order to do that I would have to

3) buy yet another pBook version of this book.

As I get nervous not having this book I will just bite the bullet and go to the shops tomorrow and buy it again.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Sorry to hear that - a real PITA and just the sort of thing I'd do

option 1 - would be a no-no for me as I like to support the author so a pirated version doesn't help the author any.

option 2 - are you serious!!! Bit extreme and your hands might ache at the end of it

option 3 - buying another paper book would be ok but not your ideal

option 4 - maybe some kind American could buy you the ebook and then you pay them back via paypal for example?
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Ad 2: You could scan and OCR the book instead of typing. That would be a lot easier!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Kind American buying the book? Is an idea but I'm not sure what to do with the B&N format. I heard it can't be read on the Sony. But I'm just starting out so what do i know.

Scanning the book? Naaaaa, I type faster then i scan. Plus I get to read the book while I typ.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I notice the author has a personal www. Maybe you could ask if there are plans to sell the ebook version elsewhere?

And now you come to mention it I don't know if the B&N version would work with a sony reader either.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Moi asking her? I would stutter in the email
Old 11-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
I think B&N is coming to Canada on Dec. 1st.....but I don`t know if it would work with a sony reader
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
I think B&N is coming to Canada on Dec. 1st.....but I don`t know if it would work with a sony reader

I think they are - but I am fairly sure their current format won't work with Sony.

I have send an email to the author as well as to the publisher. We'll see what comes from it.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
SparkNotes seem to be study guides that only include summaries of the book. These are the first B&N ebook exclusives I have seen, but they are indeed sold only by B&N. There is a free web version at SparkNotes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Ad 2: You could scan and OCR the book instead of typing. That would be a lot easier!

...unless, of course, she scans the book letter by letter!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
All of the complaints/anger/etc. that I have been reading in numerous threads (and in many forums) about these geographical restrictions that paradoxically reduce publishers' sales lead me to think that a global swap community might develop if the restrictions persist longterm. For example, someone in the US buys an ebook restricted to the US. Likewise, someone in the UK buys an ebook restricted to the UK, of equal value. Both buyers strip the DRM and swap files. Result: 2 legally purchased ebooks, 2 sales for authors, 2 happy readers.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote