Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #271
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Pilotbob, I referred to a "Kindle account" because on the Kindle for iphone page you are told that you must go to the "Kindlestore" to purchase books, and that you must register the phone on that page. Did my statement lead to confusion?

I am, moreover, quite aware that you never could read Kindle books on a desktop: I have owned a Kindle for over a year. I was responding to someone pointing out that to get Kindle books on your phone you had to download them to the desktop first, and I thought it useful to note that this did not mean that you could read them on it. When the Kindle first appeared in the fall of 2007, there was a lot of discussion and lamenting that this was so, on this site as well as others.

My daughter who is in the publishing business and like me owns a Kindle and an iphone told me that when the Kindle iphone application came out last week, a number of people in the publishing business were of the opinion that this was a first step in a new alliance between Amazon and Apple, and that that would culminate in Apple's producing an ereader (the subject of another thread on this site). We shall see.

Last edited by radleyp; 03-10-2009 at 02:25 PM.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 AM   #272
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
This is a pity as I've discovered that figures in iPhone Kindle books are optimised for the small screen of the device. So when I put the books on my DR1000, the graphs are so tiny that the text is often unreadable.
Ah, and my experience was the opposite. Sidebar text unreadable on the iphone, but quite usable once converted for my Sony 505.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:07 AM   #273
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Ah, so there are still some differences between owning an iPhone/iPod Touch with the Kindle App and owning an actual Kindle. Seems odd, though, that they would let you download with the Kindle but not with the iPhone -- I guess it's probably specifically because there's no way to copy them onto an iPhone to read them (unless it's jailbroken).
There is a way to get the eBooks off the iPod. You use a program to extract from the iTunes backup.

The thing is, with a Kindle, there is a chance you might not have access to the Sprint network. So ou can download the eBooks to your computer. But if you can register your iPhone/iPod, you do have access to AT&T and/or wifi. So there's no need to allow you to download to your computer. Plus, it's just another way for Amazon to control what you can and cannot do with the eBooks they sell you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:08 AM   #274
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
There are some posts somewhere here detailing how to use backup, and extractor to get Kindle books from an iTouch on a Pc or a Mac without it being jailbroken. So some more hoops, as with the Kindle PID for the iTouch but nothing that complicated with a good description.

Have not tried it yet since I have not seen an ebook I want with a better Kindle price, but the first one that comes I will try...
Why not pick a free eBook and try it so you know you can do it? Better to know you can do it with free eBooks then spend the money on one and find out it doesn't work for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #275
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
There are a few softs that allow for the conversions between programs/apps/desktops.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:12 AM   #276
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can someone post a link to iPhone Backup Extractor that works with the iPod Touch under Windows please?
I never saw this question answered and I know you can google it, but here's the link for those who haven't figured it out yet. The trial version only allows you to extract 1 file at a time.

iPhone Backup Extractor for Windows
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #277
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
What a place! Thanks mbp, ahintz, igorsk, and kovid, and anyone else I may have missed. Who wrote mobidedrm? Thanks!

I just downloaded a Kindle book from Amazon using Safari on my iPod Touch, backed it up to my Mac, extracted the files with iPhone Backup Extractor, dedrm'd it from prc to mobi using mobidedrm, and converted it to epub in Calibre, which was also kind enough to provide the title. Looks and reads great on my jetBook. Thanks again all, from a newbie.

Looks like CL for my Kindle.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #278
rott98
rott98 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I did it!.
Now i can buy books from amazon and read it on my sony reader.
Thanks
rott98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #279
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does extracting the book from the iPod Touch require that it be jailbroken?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #280
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Does extracting the book from the iPod Touch require that it be jailbroken?
Not if you use iPhone Backup Extractor, a Mac only program.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #281
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. If I only have a PC, the only way I can extract a book bought using the Kindle app is to jailbreak it?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #282
galavanter
Zealot

Post 276 just above gives a link to a Window's program of the same name. I have no experience with it but you might want to check it out. I don't see any mention of the need for jailbreaking on the first page...
Old 05-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #283
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you just download the kindle app and purchase books from amazon WITHOUT owning a Kindle?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #284
MerLock
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you just download the kindle app and purchase books from amazon WITHOUT owning a Kindle?
From what I've read here so far, I think that's the point of the kindle app. It allows you to purchase a book purchased from Amazon's kindle website and read it on your iPhone or iTouch. I could be wrong though since I haven't actually tried it yet.

Trying to figure out a way of getting it off the iPhone and iTouch and onto another device.

And thanks for your answers Galavanter. I'll take a look into that program.

Last edited by MerLock; 05-07-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #285
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Yes. How simple was that.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle