Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
marmistrz
marmistrz began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch
PocketBook dictionaries

Hi,

I found a source for dictionaries here: http://www.dicts.info/uddl.php
Is there a better source? (I'm interested mostly in ger-pol dictionary)

Is it possible to convert this one to .dic under Linux?

Thanks
marmistrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
There are a few older threads here on dictionaries, and it's worth searching for them and reading them since they are full of information.

Converting a dictionary to PocketBook format has many requirements and steps. Besides the actual data to convert in a suitable format, you need the collates.txt, keyboard.txt and morphems.txt files for German. If you can find another PB-format German->XXXX dictionary, then maybe you can copy the files from that (although I'm not sure how to get that data out of the dictionary). I can't remember, but someone may have already provided those files in one of the old threads here. You can use an empty morphems.txt file, but it would be much better to have a proper one. It contains the rules for mapping words to the form they are stored in within the dictionary (e.g. hits->hit, barked->bark, striking->strike,...), and makes the coverage much better when using it. The program that does the final conversion to PB format runs on Windows only. I can't remember if it runs under Wine on Linux, but I guess you can try it to see.

Or, you can go to the Obreey store and buy a Lingvo German->Polish dictionary in PocketBook format there. The price seems pretty reasonable (US$10.49), and you could avoid all this work.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
marmistrz

Unfortunately, the pocketbookreader.com and pocketbook.com.ua links are dead
Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
You can buy the dictionaries here.
Zetmolm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
marmistrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
I'd prefer a free solution Even if I need to look thru a little
Old 06-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first thing is to get a copy of the DictionaryConverter program. The latest from the PocketBook website only has the collates.txt, keyboard.txt and morphems.txt file for English and Russian. Some other versions had files for other languages (including German). Search around for the DicConverter4_1.zip or DictionaryConverter-neu\ 171109.zip files, as those definitely have the German files. The morphems.txt file is almost empty, but it will at least get you started. The "-neu 171109" version also has the instructions translated from Russian to English, so that may be useful to you. They all have Windows executables, though, and I can't remember if they work under Wine. If the data from that website is in a standard format, then you can probably find a Linux program to convert it to one of the few formats that DictionaryConverter understands. Doing the final step requires the Windows-only DictionaryConverter program, though, since the PocketBook dictionary format is proprietary, and there are no opensource programs I know of that can do the conversion to it.

But, it's been about a year since I looked into all this, so it's probably worth using google to see if anything has changed since then.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
marmistrz

Thanks
Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
doll00
doll00 began at the beginning.

Device: PB602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post

thanks, but in this store you can only buy 2 Polish dictionares.
actually, I need very good english-polish dictionary for pocketbook and I can't find any.
doll00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll00 View Post
thanks, but in this store you can only buy 2 Polish dictionares.
actually, I need very good english-polish dictionary for pocketbook and I can't find any.
I think that store is the only place with commercial offerings for PocketBook readers, so if you don't see it there, you're out of luck.

I did see an English-Polish dictionary offered at the website that marmistrz linked to. The collates.txt, keyboard.txt and morphems.txt files are already available for English inside the DictionaryConverter.zip file, so that part is easy. I don't know what format the data is in at that website, but there are many converter programs available online for converting from one format to another. You can probably convert their data to stardict or xdxf format, and then pass that to the DictionaryConverter program without too much effort. I don't think the website's license allows you to share that dictionary with other people, but at least you'll have something for your own use.