Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #16
subdian
subdian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daletsteele View Post
I've posted about this problem on the Amazon Kindle forums and provided feedback to kindle-feedback@Amazon.com

Hopefully others will do the same.
I've also just mailed them - very annoying that the periodical features are lost when files go via Amazon - having to plug into USB to get the daily news delivered by Calibre destroys my delusion that I'm living in the future :-(
subdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #17
rogeliodh
rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theseamonkey View Post
  1. When Calibre transfers the fetched magazines to my KTouch via USB, they are transferred onto the device as .pobi files (even though they are stored locally on my computer as .mobi files). The Sections & Articles index successfully appears.
  2. If I manually transfer one of the local .mobi files to my KTouch via USB (drag and drop in Windows Explorer), the Sections & Articles index does not appear.
  3. If I rename one of the local .mobi files to have a .pobi extension and then manually transfer it to my KTouch via USB, the Sections & Articles index successfully appears.
Rename to .pobi is not needed, my KT automatically renames .mobi files to .pobi, so transferring you mobi files manually or using calibre is the same; they are transferred as .mobi and when KT sees them, it renames them all. Unfortunately this means that Calibre loses track of the files already transferred and it thinks they are not in your device anymore.
rogeliodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
EnergyLens
Hack
EnergyLens began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite
Author as date?

Since this problem will likely not be resolved with Amazon any time soon, how about an option for kindle .mobi generation to automatically make the author the date that the news was fetched rather than 'calibre'. That way it would at least be possible to tell the different periodical files apart on the KTouch & etc.
EnergyLens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Change your output profile to some non-Kindle profile and your news downloads should have the date appended to the title.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
rogeliodh
rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Instapaper is now in "newspaper" format

Instapaper is reporting that they (Amazon) fixed the problem (for instapaper sent files):

https://twitter.com/#!/instapaper/st...78665500319744
Old 12-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #21
plemb0
plemb0 began at the beginning.

Yep. It now works for Instapaper, just tried it yesterday. Kindlefeeder still doesn't work. Hopefully whatever fix was made for Instapaper can be applied to them as well.
plemb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
kaja
kaja began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Instapaper has apparently solved this issue. It can deliver periodical-formatted documents via Amazon to the Kindle Touch. Does anyone (esp Kovid) know what the magic fix is? I am the developer behind Kindlefeeder and also the open-source kindlerb ebook generation tool.

My tools can make MOBI documents that display the periodical-style table of contents and navigation when you transfer the files manually to the Kindle Touch or download them through the Kindle Touch web browser. But if you email these same MOBI files to your Kindle Touch via the @kindle.com wireless delivery service, the peroidical formatting goes away and the MOBI ebook reverts to regular ebook navigation.
kaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #23
rogeliodh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaja View Post
Does anyone (esp Kovid) know what the magic fix is?
According to the Instapaper developer (contacted directly by email) "It just happened", so Amazon should have added some kind of whitelist.

You should contact Amazon to request the same treatment.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Instapaper is a blogger favorite and Amazon is scared of bloggers. That's probably the magic fix
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
kaja
kaja began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Thanks for the answers. We're going to try to ask Amazon to put us on the whitelist, if that's the fix. I'll report back with the results.
kaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #26
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Interesting that Kindle Touch is now behaving differently with Instapaper docs. I just had Instapaper email me some articles and they turned up on my Kindle Fire as a PDOC as usual, i.e. the Amazon server is still overwriting the EXTH doc type with PDOC.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
lanooz
lanooz began at the beginning.

Because of that it seems that I'm stuck with Instapaper tough I'd love to use Readability.com

I suggest all of us send emails to Amazon concerning this issue. This would make the problem a higher priority so it's more likely they gonna fix it soon.
I just sent them one
kindle-feedback@Amazon.com
lanooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #28
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanooz View Post
Because of that it seems that I'm stuck with Instapaper tough I'd love to use Readability.com

I suggest all of us send emails to Amazon concerning this issue. This would make the problem a higher priority so it's more likely they gonna fix it soon.
I just sent them one
kindle-feedback@Amazon.com
Would you check your Kindle Touch software version and see if Amazon has pushed an update? I'm scratching my head over why Touch and Fire behaved identically and now appear to be different. It's possible that Amazon is doing something special when delivering docs from Instapaper to Touch but that seems a bit far-fetched to me because it's way too specific.

I think most of the issues with Amazon are due to them being simple-minded (e.g. assuming there's no issue with setting the EXTH doctype to PDOC for everything emailed to a Kindle, regardless of the setting in the original). The old Kindles (V1, V2, V3 at least) don't look at the doctype and use the MOBI type to determine if a doc is a newspaper or magazine. The Fire (and, it seems, the Touch, at least initially) don't do that--rather they look at the exth doctype, and hence the problem with emailed docs. I'm thinking Amazon pushed an update to Touch that changes this behaviour.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #29
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
I too have sent an email to Amazon requesting a fix.

Most of my calibre-fetch-subscriptions are too troublesome to navigate on my KT now. (well except Dilbert I hope this be resolved soon.
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #30
Locarno
Locarno began at the beginning.

I have also had the same problem with my Kindle Touch. I e-mailed Amazon as follows; maybe others would like to base their e-mail off of mine? Send it to kindle-feedback@amazon.com.
Dear Amazon,

I would very much like to have Calibre or KindleFeeder News Feeds e-mailed to my @kindle.com address work as fully-functional .pobi files, so that I can use the "Sections & Articles" navigation page on my Kindle Touch. Can you enable this?

It looks like others are having the same issue, and discussing it at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157664

Any idea when this might happen? Thanks very much.
Locarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fetch news, kindle touch, magazines, news, table of contents