Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
readit
Enthusiast
readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.

Device: Binatone ReadMeClassic 6",TravelmateC110 10.4",HTC Wizard WinMobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_barker View Post
Screen size is a bit small compared with the 4'+ devices.

However:

1) Fbreader and Dorian both work well for ebooks - the keys on the side work well as a rocker (next)..
2) Pdf reader is better than the one for android (also evince)
3) Garnet VM - palm emulator allows you to run 97% of your old palm apps
4) 800 x 480 resolution screen
5) Full Operating System - not a crippled iOS or Android dalvik vm

I've tried various iphones - 3g/3gs/4 and android phones
Only iphone 4 comes close or may be a bit better (you have kindle app).

Android pdf readers suck. Fbreaderj isn't as good as fbreader on linux or ibooks...

- Actually they used to - the one that ships with htc android 2.1 works very well..
Basically it seems all the phones are ok - you just probably want a 4.3 -6" screen

Cheers

Thanks for the hint - an Interesting mix: Linux on Nokia! (thought there's always symbian)

Linux OS means absolute freedom in app-choice!

There is also the N800, which selss cheap sometimes...
readit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #17
peegee
Enthusiast
peegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Watch out, some of these posts are pretty old and the android smartphone market moves fast. The new phones like google nexus/htc desire have fantastic screens. The adobe reader on android is also very good, with a reflow that really works well for text based pdfs.
peegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Droid X works for me, plus they're on sale since the new 4G phones are coming out shortly.
This. All the others are too small.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #19
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Does your office issue you a blackberry or other smart phone? Mine does I use the one the office issues me, it does the job very well its a Tour 9630 and does very well.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #20
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
I recently purchased a HTC Incredible. My first smartphone. Using the Nook app I can sync it with my Nook on B&N so that whatever page I'm on in a book, It's on the phone. It comes in handy to kill time reading when I'm waiting somewhere. But for me the screen is too small to use all the time.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #21
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
HTC Evo, or the HTC Thunderbolt. I'd like the Droid X more if it weren't made by Motorola (hate the Motoblur interface). I haven't had a good experience with the Motorola handsets since their StarTAC phones some years ago.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #22
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hate the motoblur as well, but the DroidX screen is big enough to read from (not always the best at web browsing) but it seems small now compared to my Xoom.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #23
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
HTC EVO!

Why, you ask ... 4.3" screen! It gives you about half the screen size in terms of characters per page as a Kindle or Sony.
Update,

While my EVO (or any phone with a 4.3" screen) worked well for me, the 5" Dell Streak would probably be even better; I played with one at a trade show and it was nice but my carrier doesn't support it.

Since I got my 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab I find myself using it exclusively for reading. It doesn’t support cellular voice, so I end up carrying both the EVO and SGT, but the good news is that I CAN. The SGT fits nicely in my front trousers pocket where one of the 10” tablets (iPad and Moto Xoom so far) would not.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Update,

While my EVO (or any phone with a 4.3" screen) worked well for me, the 5" Dell Streak would probably be even better; I played with one at a trade show and it was nice but my carrier doesn't support it.

Since I got my 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab I find myself using it exclusively for reading. It doesn’t support cellular voice, so I end up carrying both the EVO and SGT, but the good news is that I CAN. The SGT fits nicely in my front trousers pocket where one of the 10” tablets (iPad and Moto Xoom so far) would not.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #25
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Before I purchased my first dedicated ereader device, I used a HP Ipaq PDA, then my first smartphone, a Samsung Omnia. Now my smartphone of choice is an iPhone 4 with the bigger screen.

I cannot read long on a backlit LCD anymore, but the iPhone would be my pick for the best smartphone. Stanza, Kobo and ibooks all work well enough.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #26
bornmusician
Bibliophile
bornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenbornmusician has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
I use MobiPocket on my Blackberry Storm 2. I have friends that use Aldiko on Android and Palm phones and it looks really nice.
Before I got my Kindle, I used MobiPocket and the Kindle for Blackberry app on my Blackberry Torch. The screen isn't quite as big as the Storm, but it still did the job.

I couldn't read for hours on end, like I do on my Kindle, but it was nice to kill time on the commute to work.
bornmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #27
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Tilting landscape sliders are a fairly rare breed. When I first got my TP2, I didn't think I'd like the tilting screen, I mostly just wanted the keyboard. Now I'm holding out upgrading until something with a similar tilt comes out for Android -- which may well be never. HTC made one for WP7, but nothing for Android.

The reason is that I read every night, as part of my routine. With the keyboard out and the screen tilted, it is very easy and comfortable to hold with one hand. My thumb falls right on the arrow keys and my index finger fits in the joint between screen and keyboard for stability. I used to have it set up for quick right to left switching (an upside-down portrait mode and alternate keyboard mapping) but that got harder software wise.

I was perfectly happy before I got this using my Palm m500 and later my TX, but now I'm spoiled. I don't want to go back.

I'm not sure I can recommend the TP2 as a smartphone. Obsolete OS, obsolete guts... but it is a great ereader.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #28
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I have a HTC Wildfire, and I mainly use the device's mobile apps (such as Kindle for Android) and free readers such as FB reader. I use Dropbox to get the ebooks from my computer to my phone.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #29
laurenor
laurenor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Kindle, Mobile Phone
Depends on your carrier and preferences. But the HTC Sensation is a solid choice; it has a big screen and high resolution. Good phone. Feels good in your hands. A good second choice is the Nexus S.

Less good (not the best phones), but with v big screens: the Samsung Infuse 4G on AT&T or Droid Charge on Verizon.
laurenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
Soul_Est
Gadgetic Young Man
Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BlackBerry Z30, Sony PRS-650, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
You definitely can't go wrong with 4.3" or larger screen on a smartphone for reading (providing that the resolution is there). My HTC Desire HD (4.3" LCD, 480x800) is up to the task when needed.
Soul_Est is offline   Reply With Quote