Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #46
tuffykenwell
tuffykenwell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
My husband just got a new 2G Kobo (we just had to pay the upgrade because the screen cracked on his original Kobo so for $20 we got the 2G). I must say I am quite impressed with the difference in features between the first and second generation Kobo and the second generation is a really decent ereader. Personally I am a Sony girl but if the Kobo handled pdf files in a slightly less cranky manner I would be all over it since it is half the price of my new Sony. I find the screen very readable and the page turns and start up time with the 2G is hugely improved. I wish it would open from sleep mode into the book I was last reading like my Sony does but that is my biggest complaint (and lets face it that is a pretty minor one). I haven't ever used a Kindle but if you are Canadian I would go to chapters locally and buy a Kobo. While it was a PITA when the screen broke their customer service was absolutely amazing and they swapped the Kobo out 3 months after we had purchased it without giving us a hard time...which was awesome!

Steph
tuffykenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:15 AM   #47
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3 (B006)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Oh my goodness, no contest! Get the Kindle. You can buy straight off the rack, as it were, from Smashwords and Fictionwise for multiformat, and stripping drm off epub books is trivial. Kobo is slower, pokier and buggier. It is prettier. But having used both, I would not recommend the Kobo over the Kindle.
Agreed.
Stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #48
barcode015
barcode015 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3/Kobo WiFi
Currently I have both the Kobo Wi-Fi and Kindle 3 side by side at the moment deciding which one I will keep, and no contest it will be the Kindle.

I have a soft spot for the Kobo, I like the company, they seem to work hard at customer relations, use the ePub standard, and last but not least they are Canadian. But the new Kobo isn't ready for prime time, it's glitchy, slow, not 100% user friendly and appears to suffer some of the same ills as it's predecesor. And using it right now beside the Kindle 3 makes it seem inadequate.

Speed wise there is no comparison, I can do two page turns on the Kindle by the time the Kobo has turned one. The Kindle has three different places to do page turns--the dedicated buttons on either side of the device and it's own d-pad, the kobo has just its d-pad on the right side.

Shopping on the device the Kindle experience wins hands down. The Kindle will allow me to read the user reviews on the book, try a sample if available, show other books by the author, and gives a full synopsis. Shopping on the Kobo just shows my the book and price and partial synopsis...thats it. And reading newspapers is much better on the Kindle(in this case it is Vancouver paper The Province).. The Kindle has proper sections for editorials, sports etc. The Kobo puts editorials, sports and news all in the same section with no separation.

Reading wise, the new Kobo screen does not match that of the Kindle. It's not a bad screen at all on the Kobo, but using it beside the Kindle you can definitely see it isn't the same quality.

With the Kindle everything just seems to work and menu transitions are quick. Using the Kobo is a test of patience as menu transitions and selections can be slow. I have also have had to do a factory reset on the Kobo as it was unable to open and sync publications with my desktop on two different occasions in the period of a week.

I could go on and on, but when you have two devices side by side, hands down it's the Kindle. I want to love the Kobo, and I still have a soft spot for it, but practically speaking at $149.00 compared to the Kindle it's a no go. Maybe if the Kobo wi-fi was priced at 99.00 like it's predecessor is now I would recommend it.
barcode015 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, kobo