Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Comics

ok, so is the PP simply incapable of displaying Comic?

I mean, the PDF comics display nice, bu the text is toooo small to read. And the zoom function does not increase the size.

Is this normal?

Work around?

Thanks all.

This was a disappointing discovery ...

Thanks
jim

ps*** would a 6" astak display comics with large enough text to read?

Last edited by cancelx; 04-19-2010 at 11:57 PM.
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Comics on PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post

I mean, the PDF comics display nice, bu the text is toooo small to read. And the zoom function does not increase the size.

Is this normal?

Work around?

Thanks all.

This was a disappointing discovery ...

Thanks
jim

ps*** would a 6" astak display comics with large enough text to read?
Dear Jim:

I work for Astak; but I know very little about comics except printed. However. I do know that a PDF is little more than a photograph of a page. You cannot zoom it. You should be able to rotate the picture to horizontal view. When in the book, hit the large "OK" button. When the menu comes up hit #6 for "rotate".

Others on here know how to use Calibre to change the format. That might help some.

About the 6 inch... it would help a bit certainly but I think you would still have the problem. Remember, the extra 1 inch is measured diagonally so it is not that much. The EZ Reader PLUS 6 inch will be coming out in about a month. That will have 16 level gray scale and may help noticeably on color clarity.

There IS a 9 inch due. That would really be optimum. But it uses a SIPix screen and all SIPix screens are delayed. It could be three months or more.

Hopefully, others on here will jump in and give you better advice!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post
Thanks...
Pretty much, yes.

As someone who WRITES comics, I tend to read a LOT of them. And when I first got the pocket pro, I experimented with several different comics in different formats. I could not find anything that made it possible to read them in a comfortable manner.

Like yew, I was also disappointed.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Jim:

There IS a 9 inch due. That would really be optimum. But it uses a SIPix screen and all SIPix screens are delayed. It could be three months or more.

Hopefully, others on here will jump in and give you better advice!
Oh I'm sorry to hear that, as I was hoping to get one for my academic pdfs... Astak seems like a brand I'd like, and from what I've seen it has the best support. I certainly hope the situation will be resolved soon and you will have a 9" device in the (hopefully) near future.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Image based PDFs don't "reflow" (since there is no text in the file to work from). It is possible to split each page into 2 or 4 pages off-line, but this may not be enough. If you want to try it, look at the sticky threads in the PDF forum and also PDFRead.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I hope so too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Oh I'm sorry to hear that, as I was hoping to get one for my academic pdfs... Astak seems like a brand I'd like, and from what I've seen it has the best support. I certainly hope the situation will be resolved soon and you will have a 9" device in the (hopefully) near future.
Dear Citac:

Agreed... we need a 9 inch!! We are trying. I might (possibly) have some news next week on a realistic schedule. We have someone returning from Taiwan and they may know more. No promises... but if I know more I will tell you IF they will let me.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I'd have to say that a 6" screen is too small to read comics comfortably. I've got a Sony PRS600 and the daily comics are just readable on it. Although with the touch screen and the way the reader can pan around the page, it's not terrible. But in this case, bigger would certainly be better.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Citac:

Agreed... we need a 9 inch!! We are trying. I might (possibly) have some news next week on a realistic schedule. We have someone returning from Taiwan and they may know more. No promises... but if I know more I will tell you IF they will let me.
I would love to have an approximate timeframe. I'n a way it's good they're not out yet because it gives me time to save up my money, because ultimately, my decision will depend on how much money I can afford to spend on one. I'm afraid that going back to school has severely limited my budget but should pay out in the future.

All the best to you guys!
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
bdp
Lost in WNC
bdp began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader
I have used calibre to convert .cbr & .cbz files into epub format. The images are very crisp and (relatively) easy to read compared to pdf or straight image files. It works great, as long as you're not in a hurry.

Also, see this thread
bdp is offline   Reply With Quote