Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
What do you use for editing epub files after creation?

and also do programs like epubcheck help me verify the created epub files?
I'm finding about 1/25 epub files just don't work at all in my sony, and crash at some point during the book forcing the reader to reboot.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
and also do programs like epubcheck help me verify the created epub files?
That is in fact what epubcheck does.

You can edit an EPUB book using 'unzip', the text/HTML editor of your choice, then 'zip'. Check out HXA's "Epub Format Construction Guide" for some details on the necessary arguments to the 'zip' command-line tool when re-archiving the book. (You're on your own if doing this with a GUI -- best of luck.)
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I just unzip the .epub and edit the files with vim.

To re-create the .epub I have this script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

FILE="Title of the Book.epub"
rm -f "$FILE"
zip -X0 "$FILE" mimetype
zip -X9Dr "$FILE" META-INF OEBPS
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I just unzip them, too and edit them with Notetab Light. Well, if things are not too complicated, I edit in the epub file directly by opening the epub as I would a zip, open the file (mostly ncx anyway) and resave it directly to the zip folder.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 01-07-2009 at 05:34 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:43 AM   #5
gudrun.claeys
gudrun.claeys began at the beginning.

Device: psr 505
how would you re-create the epub file on OSX?
gudrun.claeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudrun.claeys View Post
Doesn't OSX have a command line zip? If it does, you can use what I wrote above:

Code:
zip -X0 file.epub mimetype
zip -X9Dr file.epub META-INF OEBPS
(assuming the same flags apply and the files are all in the OEBPS directory).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Those flags should work fine on OS X.

I have a command aliased that gets rid of all the .DS_Store files that I run first. I then run the first zip line exactly as Jellby has it listed. For the second pass at the zip I use 'zip -r file.epub * -x mimetype'. Default compression settings are okay with me, and I'm assuming everything else in the directory should end up in the ePub anyways (I clean the directory up beforehand). The extra file attributes don't seem to cause any problems (unlike with the mimetype), but I should probably go ahead and add the -X into the second zip command anyways.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudrun.claeys View Post
Use Calibre
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I use is WinRAR to access the contents of the ePub. It works very well. I don't need to rename the ePub from .epub to .zip ever. I just right click and slect open with WinRAR.

When I edited any of the files (non-graphics), I use Notepad++ as it works very well and has very nice regex. Plus, since ePub is split into multiple files, I can load all the HTML files in one go and do search/replace on all of them like they were one file. So I do not have to make the same corrections umpteen different times. And best of all, Notepad++ is free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote