Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
kurt_da_nerd
kurt_da_nerd began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Question Epub formatting

Does anyone know how to make indentions for paragraphs when converting to ePub??? I know that for html documents, you simply put ^t^p, but that doesn't seem to work for ePub format. I've been trying to figure it out for hours! If anyone has ANY ideas please let me know.

thanks,
Kurt_da_nerd
kurt_da_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Change the properties for p in your CSS file.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_da_nerd View Post
Does anyone know how to make indentions for paragraphs when converting to ePub??? I know that for html documents, you simply put ^t^p, but that doesn't seem to work for ePub format. I've been trying to figure it out for hours! If anyone has ANY ideas please let me know.
Your stylesheet should say something like

p { margin: 0px; text-indent: 1em; }

This is proper way to do it in HTML as well, BTW.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
kurt_da_nerd

Still having trouble

First off thanks for the replies however, i am still having trouble. i am amble to put that piece of code into my xhtml document, however i cannot figure out how get the new xhtml document back into epub format. that only program that i have that can convert files to epub format is indesign and i cannot figure out how to get an xhtml file back into indesign

i have tried to just put the "text" of the xhtml file into indesign like i would a word document but all that does is create an epub file of the code, and not formatted text.

any help is appreciated

-kurt_da_nerd
Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_da_nerd View Post
First off thanks for the replies however, i am still having trouble. i am amble to put that piece of code into my xhtml document, however i cannot figure out how get the new xhtml document back into epub format. that only program that i have that can convert files to epub format is indesign and i cannot figure out how to get an xhtml file back into indesign

i have tried to just put the "text" of the xhtml file into indesign like i would a word document but all that does is create an epub file of the code, and not formatted text.

any help is appreciated

-kurt_da_nerd
An ePub file is basically a zip file containing all of your documents. Any software capable of opening a zip file can also open an ePub document. Open the document and edit your CSS stylesheets directly this way.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
kurt_da_nerd

thanks. However, I am very new to this whole eBook making extravaganza, and I do not know what a CSS style sheet is, or how to access it. could you please give me some tips? Possibly some examples of good programs to use as well?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Experimenting with epub - Creation.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
MichaelCampbell
MichaelCampbell began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
CSS in ePub

Although most mobile readers refer to your CSS stylesheet, they ignore paragraph tags in favor of their own settings. I don't know why, and it's maddening.

If you want to force your style choices, use span tags, which are generally respected. For titles and headlines, use heading tags.

Here's a FAQ on ePub formatting.
MichaelCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCampbell View Post
Although most mobile readers refer to your CSS stylesheet, they ignore paragraph tags in favor of their own settings. I don't know why, and it's maddening.
Err, no...

ePub readers recognise <p> and <div> tags just like any renderer and they default to block-level elements, whereas <span> tags default to inline elements (a behaviour which can, of course, be changed).

Maybe you should give an example of the code that's been causing you problems.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote